Class J17/19 & 20 (ex GER and LNER)

Just looking at these classes  J17, J19 and J20 couple of questions.

1. Is any current RTR 060 chassis the right size to be used on any of these locos?

2. Also is either the D16 or B12 bodies a suitable donor for the J17, J19 or J20?

Basically is it possible with a bit of work to get a J17, J19 or J20 from RTR stuff?

Would be interested to hear if anyone has a view on these questions.

Best Wishes

David

G'Day Folks

I don't think there are any RTR chassis suitable for these classes of loco, all the J17-19-20's had a very long wheelbase, I have modified a Hornby 3F 0-6-0 to a J17, (chassis not withstanding) I have also used a modified B12 body on a Hornby 0-6-0 chassis to make a J19, the J20 is just to big. (Sorry no pics of the J19)

manna

DSCF3328.JPG

DSCF4621.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Windjabbers said:

Basically is it possible with a bit of work to get a J17, J19 or J20 from RTR stuff?

It depends on what you mean by  'a bit' and what degree of compromise you are prepared to accept.

I seem to recall that Keith Chadwick fashioned a J19/2 from an old Hornby B12 and an Airfix 4F in one of his books, so it can be done if you don't mind taking an expansive view of prototypical accuracy.

The essential problem, as I see it, is that 8'10" + 8'10" is rather a long wheelbase compared to most other 0-6-0s and  the J20's 8'10" + 10'0" very long (and it won't really look like a J20 if the wheels aren't a long way apart).

The other thing to watch out for, if it bothers you, is the cab.  D16/3s (to the pattern produced by Hornby), B12/3s and J19/2s had LNER cabs, the rest retained their GE cabs.  This is very noticeable (to me; it doesn't bother everybody) in the shape of the top of the windows.

D

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

For what it is worth, I have examples of each in my fleet, and co-incidentally I am re-doing the chassis for all of them.

J17 - the old Bec kit, which was made to fit the incorrect Triang Jinty (etc) chassis. I've just replaced this chassis with a modern direct replacement, a South Eastern Finecast etched chassis. Currently waiting for a little tlc on the rods/crankpins to free up a minor tight spot. The now usual Mitsumi motor, HL gearbox, & Markits wheels are fitted.

J20 - an old McGowan kit. A whitemetal body with its own brass chassis. I added an open frame motor (Romford?) with 50:1 gears, but it was never successful so laid unfished for years, with pickup problems, clearance around splashers, & poor running. However, given my present "covid" campaign, I've treated this to a new High Level gearbox and a Mitsumi (Cambridge Custom Transfers) motor and new pickups. I've also found the source of the troublesome binding with the crankpin/rods, so I'm awaiting a replacement set of rods. Optimistic on this one, as the old rods were wrongly dimensioned! 

J19 - (actually 2 of them) with a resin Jaycraft body on a Triang chassis. & quite old. The 1st one actually has a later (Hornby) chassis with plated wheels, & an X03 motor with plastic gears; on my homemade pwm controller it is a decent runner, though obviously with dimensional errors. The 2nd one is on a very old chassis and is a rather battered example, so that is still on the roundtuit pile for a Mitsumi/HL gearbox/Markit wheels conversion, (which is what the 1st one will get very soon). The tenders are from old Triang B12s. Obviously, like the J17 there are dimensional errors, but they fill important gaps in the collection.

All 3 types occasionally pop up secondhand, so worth keeping an eye open.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1