Class 47 help

i have a Lima Class 47 where part of the motor has stopped working, so, i bought a replacement to use as a donor, but fell in love with it and dont want to do that, i bought a second to do that and again changed my mind, now the 47 in question is 47 628 in GW150 livery, i have just bought 47 484 also in GW150 livery, i have 2 questions, would a western bogie fit in a 47 bogie frame as the western itself is scrap but the motor is still in perfect working order,.......:help:

secondly as i now have 47 484 & 47 628 in GW150 livery is it possible to still get 47 079 & 47 500 in GW 150 livery  (must be Lima so they all match) so i can reunite the family ? (dont want 50 007) :huh:

Edited by Holby Railway

I think the Western bogie is a different wheelbase to the 47 so can't be swapped directly but AFAIK all the motors are the same so it should be possible to swap parts like the brush gear and armature between them to get it working. There's not much else to go wrong to be honest.

• Like 1

The Lima Western has a short wheelbase bogie.  The Class 47 has a long wheelbase bogie. The class 37 shares this bogie but with different side frames.  AFAIK all UK Lima locos except class 20 have the same armature, brushes magnets etc.  The gear trains vary.  Slim Computer motors with Scalextric pinions slot in to the Lima Power bogies if yours has motor failure.

Lima also make an HO version of the Class 37 bogie which they use under the class 50 and 55.

I have a Hornby class 47. It was horrible, but a Hornby Saint tender drive and larger wheels in the trailing bogie worked wonders bringing it right up to 1970s standards of appearance and nearly as good as the standard Lima, 

• Like 1