Triang SECR S class No.1685 finished engine

Hi all,

I have finished work on the Triang Saddle tank trying to make it more like the engine it was supposed to be.

Here is what I have done.

I have removed the long one piece splashers and scratch built and repurposed some correct style ones. I have decided to keep the 2 boxes at the back due to the amount of plastic I to take away to get this far.

Remade a small part of the footplate.

Filed off the lip round the large back window and filled it  in.

Removed the (hacked away) Westinghouse pump from the front of the boiler.

I have put a new westinghouse pump into the correct place.

Removed all the handrails and replaced them with wire ones.

Put a new handle on the filler cap.

Glazed the rear windows.

Scratch built rear windows grills and fitted them.

Scratch built the lamp brackets and fitted them.

Scratch built the steps on boiler and back of engine and fitted them.

Fitted a whistle in the correct place. The original model did not have whistle fitted.

Fitted new 3 link couplings.

Put real coal in the bunker.

Replaced all the wheels with newer wheels with see through spokes.

Put lamps in place set for freight, mineral or ballast train.

Added poor simulation of clack valves.

Put sand boxes on the front of the engine footplate.

Added vacuum  pipes.

Full repaint in satin black and new transfers with the correct engine number then sprayed with matt varnish.

It is a bit rough around the edges but is a lot more like the engine it should be. I suspect that there are many people here that could have done a better job but I am happy with it.

I have ordered a more modern chassis for the engine and will see if I can get it to fit.

some before and after pictures.

DSC_0873.JPG

DSC_0874.JPG

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0876.JPG

Triang Saddle tank.jpg

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

48 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Full repaint in satin black and new transfers with the correct engine number .....

You've done a great job on this ancient model.

Just a couple of points - the correct number for a BR liveried loco is 31685, and the lion logos should face forward on both sides.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

3 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi all,

I have finished work on the Triang Saddle tank trying to make it more like the engine it was supposed to be.

Here is what I have done.

I have removed the long one piece splashers and scratch built and repurposed some correct style ones. I have decided to keep the 2 boxes at the back due to the amount of plastic I to take away to get this far.

Remade a small part of the footplate.

Filed off the lip round the large back window and filled it  in.

Removed the (hacked away) Westinghouse pump from the front of the boiler.

I have put a new westinghouse pump into the correct place.

Removed all the handrails and replaced them with wire ones.

Put a new handle on the filler cap.

Glazed the rear windows.

Scratch built rear windows grills and fitted them.

Scratch built the lamp brackets and fitted them.

Scratch built the steps on boiler and back of engine and fitted them.

Fitted a whistle in the correct place. The original model did not have whistle fitted.

Fitted new 3 link couplings.

Put real coal in the bunker.

Replaced all the wheels with newer wheels with see through spokes.

Put lamps in place set for freight, mineral or ballast train.

Added poor simulation of clack valves.

Put sand boxes on the front of the engine footplate.

Added vacuum  pipes.

Full repaint in satin black and new transfers with the correct engine number then sprayed with matt varnish.

It is a bit rough around the edges but is a lot more like the engine it should be. I suspect that there are many people here that could have done a better job but I am happy with it.

I have ordered a more modern chassis for the engine and will see if I can get it to fit.

some before and after pictures.

DSC_0873.JPG

DSC_0874.JPG

DSC_0875.JPG

DSC_0876.JPG

Triang Saddle tank.jpg

Nice model. It looks pretty impressive. It may not be entirely accurate to the real-life prototype, but it looks fantastic.

It reminds me of my models of the LNWR 19-inch Express Goods 4-6-0 I attempted to make using two Hornby-Triang B12s before they were upgraded. I could show you pictures of the models if you like.

Hi,

I would love to see any pictures of this engine in BR livery if you have them.

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

You've done a great job on this ancient model.

Just a couple of points - the correct number for a BR liveried loco is 31685, and the lion logos should face forward on both sides.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Hi John,

The Fox transfers I used all were facing the same way. So that's why it ended up that way. As for the number I could not find any pictures of the engine in BR livery. So it ended up with it's original number. I do not think I could squeeze a 3 in there without having to renumber the whole thing. That would be a pain to remove the numbers as it has been varnished. Although my excuse would be it is being run just as the change over has happened and they have changed the logo but not the numbers yet...... :)

Edited by cypherman

• 2 months later...

You could add a small 'S' above the number, but I think that this practice antedated the 'unicycling lion'. AFAIK the prototype was scrapped in Southern livery. Where Lines Bros. got '748' from I have no idea.

This was one of my first modifications. My brother was given (must have been '57/8) a Tri-ang clockwork set with the dreadful diesel shunter. This horror had to go, so I parted with 4/10d to acquire a spare saddle tank body. A hole had to be drilled for the key, but then we had a 'proper' locomotive. Some Peco conversion couplings then allowed her to do some useful work on my Dublo 3 rail layout.

That one is long gone, but I have another to do. She needs reducing in height (the original is very tall to give space for the spring) and some decent wheels. Reducing the height will allow provision of the proper individual splashers (as has been done above).

It's just one of the projects on the 'to do' list....