Lapford in N gauge.

Cowley 47521

Hi

There aren't enough superlatives to describe the pics & video......

Superb work & having lived in the area at that time really catches the line at that time & brings back many happy memories....

THANKS for posting.....

Cheers Bill

Edited by treggyman
Add missing word
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi

There aren't enough superlatives to describe the pics & video......

Superb work & having lived in the area at that time really catches the line at that time & brings back many happy memories....

THANKS for posting.....

Cheers Bill

Thanks for your kind words as always Bill. I’m glad that you recognise a bit of what you remember about the line back then in what I’ve tried to do.

Much appreciated sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Evening everyone. It’s the weekend hooray!

I’m still helping a couple of friends build a house up at Chagford (well it’s up to me) on Dartmoor and this week’s been absolutely brutal with the heat. Around 30 degrees yesterday and the day before unloading three lorry loads of stuff and transporting it across the village to the site to unload again as we can’t get any trucks in there due to the narrow drive. I feel like the oldest apprentice in Devon some days.

Of course it’s always summer in Lapford…

I decided to finally bite the bullet and redo some the warehouse fronts a few weeks ago and I’m just going to do a quick update on that, but since taking the photos from different angles I have noticed a couple of things that’ll need a bit more work.

Anyway I’ll come back to that…

Here’s a work in progress photo once I’d lifted it off the layout. That little building on the left was never very good and all the windows were not only wrong but they were just printed and stuck on (well they all were in those buildings actually):

E6D5181F-5843-4B4F-B7BD-13C8FC1D54E4.jpeg.273e237e2f4352d5e2cb9d341b239d95.jpeg

I’ve kept the basic shapes and clad them using Slaters plastiwotsitbrickstuff with the windows (reasonably) carefully cut out and clear plastic with the frames drawn on with a white paint pen and ruler. It seemed the easiest way to go about this with my skill limitations and around twenty or so windows to do over all the buildings.

My first attempt at the most tricky one really didn’t go that well and that’s shown here with the very faded original version lying in front of it:

26D18B5E-6696-49F1-85C9-732CFBF795A2.jpeg.0973434869d3823be4b6135bfd5ca3de.jpeg

Too scrappy, I tried to fill in the lines around the windows and it looked fairly awful to be honest, plus it didn’t sit under the roof properly, so I did it again and cut the many windows out of one sheet - which I didn’t think I’d be able to do and which if I’d tried in the first place would have saved a lot of trouble!

I’ve also added more stanchions to the ex Ambrosia building but, on taking a few photos I’ve realised that they’re not plum and I’m going to try and straighten them up over the weekend as from certain angles it doesn’t look good (I am doing a better job with that house I’m working on, promise).

Here’s everything back together more or less once it was all painted and weathered down a bit. Actually having all the brickwork a similar colour has improved things I think:

636C401E-62A8-45B7-8AC7-6F78132285E7.jpeg.01bac2cf8d5751f461363e3a3cb5dc08.jpeg

I’ve also been able to fit lights into a couple of rooms in the middle warehouse now that it’s got proper windows which is a bonus (I don’t usually have them that bright, I think I was checking for light seepage):

5D25C74C-4998-44CD-9152-3B6B1DC789EC.jpeg.f361dd8316b00603eaca12022671b0ad.jpeg

Ok so that’s all that kind of thing.

Here’s a video I made at the weekend if you’ve got a couple of minutes spare, and then a question from me!

Well what I was wondering about then was if anyone had any information about the old Yeo Vale Hotel next to the entrance to the yard?

There’s a photo of it here:

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/devon/lapford_yeovale.html

I did a kind of version of it using a cheap kit a while back now: 

B32F7E7D-A25D-4B54-B9AE-13D80B3CE79A.jpeg.9451cd051e6376cd83acde03c4ca115a.jpeg

Yeah, never happy with it. It’s wrong wrong wrong and it’s not like I’ve got anything better to do, so I’m going to try and make a better version that’ll also be sitting lower in the landscape like the real one.

The questions are.

What was it at the time - circa 1986 - 1992? I had a feeling it was a transport cafe at some point?

Does anyone have or know of any photos of it from back then?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading.

Nick

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

I can remember passing the place many times, from 65 onwards, but can't remember it as a Hotel {that doesn't really mean it wasn't, just that it doesn't strike a chord as such}.  That may well be some support for your Transport Cafe, of some sort, as being less of a landmark.  It may not satisfy your ask for a definitive answer, but would give you some idea of the sort of low key nature of the place in those years, at least.  Sorry not to have been able to be of more help.

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

I can remember passing the place many times, from 65 onwards, but can't remember it as a Hotel {that doesn't really mean it wasn't, just that it doesn't strike a chord as such}.  That may well be some support for your Transport Cafe, of some sort, as being less of a landmark.  It may not satisfy your ask for a definitive answer, but would give you some idea of the sort of low key nature of the place in those years, at least.  Sorry not to have been able to be of more help.

It all helps Julian and that’s pretty much as far as I am with it too.

I must have driven past it so many times but I just don’t remember seeing what it was and I certainly didn’t ever go in there. 
I used to pop out and see some friends who lived out that way in the early 1990s and I was always too busy taking notice of any wagons in the yard as I drove over the bridge to notice what was happening in that pub.
It really is a backwater isn’t it!

Likewise, I have driven past many times and it certainly was low-key, unlike the pub {as was} at Morchard Road, which always looked inviting and occasionally got our custom, despite being fairly close to our regular hostelry, at the New Inn, in Coleford.

That said, I equally don't remember it being particularly unpainted, covered in green lichens, as that would have been noticeable, too, particularly as Ambrosia brought money to the area.  Looking at the picture of the place when it had petrol and oil for sale, doesn't ring any bells either, although, the width of dates you are looking at for your model, might just include them, in use or simply remaining, not yet removed.  {That could include a good number of Devonshire years.}  I would think that, for modelling purposes, you would be fairly safe with a clean version of the current one, with or without pumps.

It looks like you can have fun whichever way you decide...   how are your ancient petrol pump making skills, anyway??   :rolleyes:

Edited by jcredfer
Correction

• 5 weeks later...
14 hours ago, bootneckbob said:

Just seen this after you commented on mine; I'll show you mine if you show me yours!

Really impressed with what you've done and the time you've done it in.

Thanks for that. It did come together quite quickly but then I’ve got a little corner in the front room where I can make things to add to the railway later, which speeds things along and means that I’m still being sociable with the family…

Edited by Cowley 47521
  • Like 2

Things Things Things…

Evening everyone who’s out there. Hope you’re all doing well?

I’ve been doing a few erm, things… 

Firstly as mentioned a few posts ago, I’ve turned this unsatisfactory scene:

5EC2F266-9943-4607-93E9-B03626C06C23.jpeg.9535bb109404deaf5ba0e61cf7f426bc.jpeg

Into this more satisfactory one:

99F027AC-6C3B-46BB-A08C-078C1EA10FA7.jpeg.ea41acfc5b3acaeaf04ecd9da265e561.jpeg

Via the judicious use of many balsa woods and plasticard…

9D2323BB-5D1C-433E-93D4-8DE714E8E95B.jpeg.d22dd80d3c810f17a0bcb079bbc27296.jpeg

I really enjoyed making this pub. I went a bit heavy on the glue here and there but that part of the layout has a much more pleasing depth to it now I reckon. Also it gives Wayne and his battered Transit somewhere to go at lunchtime, although I have a feeling that he might be one of the only customers at this point…

Another job while I wait in hope that Dapol will bring out suitable SR signals for Eggesford was to knock up a couple of cheapy Ratio kits as a temporary solution: 

43C36914-6F98-4FF9-8531-22FD859EF458.jpeg.9c94691d2cd38d535e8eab995276e44a.jpeg

I’ve set one ‘off’ and one ‘on’ and these can be swapped around if I want to take photos. They’re not entirely prototypical but they’ll do a job for the time being. Here they are in situ:

100F3C6B-BA0D-491B-8C58-61C217821BFC.jpeg.a53fc70962a36a56c90457a40153483b.jpeg

Apart from those things I’ve also straightened out the stanchions on the old Ambrosia creamery. Mainly because I took some photos the other day and realised that they were wonky.

No photos of that at the moment I’m afraid but I’ve been working through all the outstanding bits and bobs with the cunning use of an ‘list’. There really isn’t much left to do now so I guess I’ll have to go back to hanging around on the streets graffitiing things (I’m joking).

One outstanding job was getting some station signs up and the very helpful Allan from Sankey Scenics sorted me out on that score, very easy to deal with, very well priced and I was really pleased with what he made up for me.

Here’s a few teeny signs:

8F8AB91E-13AB-4A15-893D-04042200B84B.jpeg.bab7405471a89db64da9c447c69d4971.jpeg

A85FABBD-EEE9-4BF6-83A0-5AA3E6BE7479.jpeg.e58da0369374397d02d83aaa728f644b.jpeg

(Spot the deliberate mistake with the way out sign)

572034D3-7202-4AD5-9172-17630F01D6EF.jpeg.c8e26892af353722783733252a15ca57.jpeg

Next job? Don’t know…

I was thinking about putting some lights in some of the stock for some proper night running options. So probably that.

56F21215-6AAD-42B7-B688-0CEEF0E49121.jpeg.2ca192b741076dac0be92014c9f67a22.jpeg

B71FA644-4010-4CF9-8F56-6E544D0A3CC5.jpeg.39f720be39eaecf9fcc377b1f06e7c7a.jpeg

Thanks as always for reading!

Nick

Edited by Cowley 47521
Missed out a ‘do’ Ron…
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

2 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Nick,

You have made some very nice additions. The layout is getting a good atmosphere which certainly reflects the 'real' location. I hope to achieve similar for Shirebrook.

Cheers

Duncan

I would certainly agree having a good knowledge of the area myself. 

• Like 3

@duncan and @bgman - thanks for that.

I find myself in the strange position of having to improve on what I’ve done so far rather than starting things from scratch and it really is quite an odd feeling.

I’m obviously not going to rip it all up and start again, so I guess it’s a case of improving things without going too far? As they say - Sometimes you can’t see the wood for the trees (and I’ve made an awful lot of trees…).

When I pop into the room and look at all of it I can see a few things that I’d like to improve so I’ll probably crack on with doing that for now. 

Nick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon everyone. Hope you’re all doing well?

I’m very pleased to report that I’ve just had Steve Flint round to do a photo shoot of the railway. So hopefully it’ll be appearing in the Railway Modeller in the next few months…

I must admit that it was quite a time consuming operation (5 hours) but he really put a lot of thought into the best way to shoot it. It feels like a culmination of lots of work and I’d like to say thanks to everyone who’s encouraged me and given me advice since I joined. It’s much appreciated.

Nick

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 6

20 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Thanks Julian. All a bit bonkers really. :scratchhead:

No quite bonkers, rather because something just catches your attention for a moment, but then keeps coming back with questions...   and irritates until you find an answer.  Add a large degree of skill and the willingness to learn how to do new things and there you are...   Ambrosia for the Gods and Lapford for you.

If it were a bit bonkers, you would be looking for a suitable spot for a famous Otter to be seen.....   :jester:.....      :wubclear:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• 1 month later...

Evening everyone.

I hope you’re all doing well?

I’ve posted a couple of YouTube clips on here over time and a few people in various places asked me if I could do a bit of an explanatory overview of what’s what on the layout and put it on YouTube.

This is the second attempt after messing up the first one so badly that I wiped all of the footage by accident…

Obviously it’s quite long (14 minutes) and I already know that I made a couple of mistakes, but if you’ve got a spare bit of time and you’re interested here it is.

Thanks all.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

Excellent video and explanation for anyone who doesn't know the area and history around the time you've modelled it.

I had an interesting conversation with a "local" resident one warm summer afternoon on the bridge which leads to Nymet Rowland about his cottage.

Whilst the initial conversation was about the on-going work he was also interested in respect of railways in general and also this line. 

He lived in the first cottage on the righthand side as you enter the village ......his name..... David Suchet.

He was having some work done to the cottage at the time by local builders and I used to visit about once a month.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it previously but George ( Rose ) who owns Rose Removals also had an interest in the railway, so much so that he had made some enquiries with NR to see if it would be possible to open up and use the siding on his property for containers to be used for his removal business. Unfortunately it didn't come to anything.

Keep up the good work.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, bgman said:

Excellent video and explanation for anyone who doesn't know the area and history around the time you've modelled it.

I had an interesting conversation with a "local" resident one warm summer afternoon on the bridge which leads to Nymet Rowland about his cottage.

Whilst the initial conversation was about the on-going work he was also interested in respect of railways in general and also this line. 

He lived in the first cottage on the righthand side as you enter the village ......his name..... David Suchet.

He was having some work done to the cottage at the time by local builders and I used to visit about once a month.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it previously but George ( Rose ) who owns Rose Removals also had an interest in the railway, so much so that he had made some enquiries with NR to see if it would be possible to open up and use the siding on his property for containers to be used for his removal business. Unfortunately it didn't come to anything.

Keep up the good work.

G

What a wonderful story about David Suchet. I really didn’t see that coming!

I think you did mention something about George at Rose Removals but I didn’t realise that he’d actually approached the railway about it. That’s a nice ‘What Might Have Been’ idea for a railway…

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice work on the video Nick - good to see an overview, impressive working the camera and driving trains too!

One point on your traffic - the Polybulks were actually bringing grain into Lapford, there was a small pit between the track & a semi-mobile conveyor to load into lorries. There's a picture in The North Devon Line book by Nicholls & Reeve with the conveyor lifted up on a ramshackle pile of pallets! I've thought about representing the pit as covered over with timber covers - that way, it can just be ground level detailing between & alongside the track without digging a hole in the board! Doesn't make any difference to your workings as such but just a bit more info.

The fertilizer traffic going into the warehouse was in UKF bogie Palvans like these in Barnstaple yard - which I don't think are available in N; then later, the IWA 'Holdall' wagons which Revolution trains are making.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1