Lapford in N gauge.

Cowley 47521

4 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Nice work on the video Nick - good to see an overview, impressive working the camera and driving trains too!

One point on your traffic - the Polybulks were actually bringing grain into Lapford, there was a small pit between the track & a semi-mobile conveyor to load into lorries. There's a picture in The North Devon Line book by Nicholls & Reeve with the conveyor lifted up on a ramshackle pile of pallets! I've thought about representing the pit as covered over with timber covers - that way, it can just be ground level detailing between & alongside the track without digging a hole in the board! Doesn't make any difference to your workings as such but just a bit more info.

The fertilizer traffic going into the warehouse was in UKF bogie Palvans like these in Barnstaple yard - which I don't think are available in N; then later, the IWA 'Holdall' wagons which Revolution trains are making.

I’m going to have to come back and ask a bit of advice on this Rich because to be honest I’ve got so much going on in my head about various details that I know I should get right, yet for some reason I’ve ended up with a self-evacuating head when it comes to the finer details…

It’s a bit late now and I’ve had a very emotional evening in the Beer Engine, but I’ll concentrate on this properly tomorrow evening after work I promise!

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I’ve had a very emotional evening in the Beer Engine

What, Newton St. Cyres ?

I always felt extremely emotional when I came out of there, but then I think it was down to how much I'd spent on beer !!! 

Speaking of which, the Taw Vale Hotel which you have modelled so well wouldn't have appealed to you ( believe me ) and the Beer Engine has always been a better watering hole !!! 

G

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 hours ago, bgman said:

What, Newton St. Cyres ?

I always felt extremely emotional when I came out of there, but then I think it was down to how much I'd spent on beer !!! 

Speaking of which, the Taw Vale Hotel which you have modelled so well wouldn't have appealed to you ( believe me ) and the Beer Engine has always been a better watering hole !!! 

G

Yes I always get emotional after four really nice pints with some good friends and a nice meal…

Actually Will the landlord has made a little sports bar downstairs where they used to have live music so we went to watch the football. It was a very pleasant experience I must say.

One of our boys worked in the kitchen for a bit a couple of years ago and I’d definitely consider it my local even though it’s not the nearest pub to me.

In other news we managed a trip to Okehampton on the train on Sunday which was great. Especially as it got up to speed on the long straight stretch. Lovely!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Seasons Greetings! :)

I trust that you’re all well out there?

Just checking in to say that my best friend Paul’s layout made the front cover of Railway Modeller this month with his snowy railway scene.

FE138D24-2874-4DAD-939E-673F05F1E277.jpeg.6b8f4bddcdf5a678690e3bca086b3650.jpeg

I did a few bits and bobs on it myself (although I’m absolutely not taking any of the glory from what he’s achieved with it) and they’ve done a fantastic job of capturing the atmosphere.

I mean it almost makes me feel ready for Christmas just looking at it…

(St) Nick. ;)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

That looks very convincing, feeling cold looking at it! The way it blends into the misty background is really good. Will have to find a copy of RM ;)

He’s a man that loves the snow Rich.

We’ll all be out in the garage wearing coats and shivering and he’s wearing shorts and a T-shirt!

It’s booked in to the Exeter show next year so hopefully we’ll get to meet and you can see it in the flesh…

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Happy new year everyone (yes I know it’s a bit late).

First off I’d like to pay a brief tribute to @bgman - Grahame though.

I haven’t been a member of rmweb for very long compared to many of you on here but Grahame had been incredibly supportive of what I’ve been trying to achieve here, and you only have to look back through this thread to see his measured and wonderfully humorous contributions…

He was an absolute gent and his warmth (along with others) helped to make me feel a part of this community and I very much thank him for that.

Much missed but never forgotten sir.

you were a class act…

————————————————

I made a little video last night and posted it on YouTube…
Some of the captions fly by a little bit too quickly, and in all honesty I’m starting to scrape the barrel a bit here because really it’s the making of the layout that does it for me actually.

Here’s the video anyway. Hope you enjoy it:

A future change of living situation (and a recent engagement!) may mean that I have a new project on the go later this year (of which more information to come), but hopefully you’ll enjoy these clips for what they are (just a bit of fun basically).

Nick 

Edited by Cowley 47521
  • Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Hello everyone.

I’m hoping to run a couple of ideas past you. :scratchhead:

It’s a plan for a potential new project and if you have any thoughts or ideas then I’d love to hear them!

As our many children are moving on and due to a couple of other changes in circumstance (including us finally getting married after 14 years!) Lapford will probably have to vacate its current space and be either moved to a purpose built structure in the garden (at the cost of quite a substantial amount of money). Or I look at maybe selling it, but keeping the stock and starting something entirely new in the two thirds of the loft which has now become available and that I converted to an unofficial bedroom a few years ago when we had more of the children at home (it has velux windows, it’s properly insulated, height wise it’s slightly cozy but not too bad).

I’m slightly tempted with the latter option at the moment because I’ve got the itch to take what I’ve learned and try and do something better. Unfortunately there’s no way Lapford will even get through the loft hatch due to its width so that option is out anyway.

Right then. If you’re still reading then I think you’re actually interested!

I give you Project Seatonslightly erm, Junctionish!

Here’s a rough diagram that I drew the other day while getting the vague idea down. The stations have been renamed (to protect the innocent) because this is a slight reimagining of the area and of history:

68319E70-B3B8-44FC-9CB7-B71C47705B86.jpeg.b1f9774ad8fe0d270c2ab8fba344e8da.jpeg

I know it’s not the clearest but hopefully it makes sense.

I’ll go through a few points:

1) The part of the route from Honiton to Chard Junction has remained double line after route singling elsewhere.

2) Seaton Junction becomes Lyme Junction in this reality, but it’s still closed and looks how it did (apart from retaining the down main) in the mid 1980s with a few sidings still surviving (which will see the odd p-way train).

3) East Devon Parkway will be a virtual copy of Tiverton Parkway but with Network Southeast signage and the reason that it’s there is because…

4) The A35 is a slightly more important route in this reality and has been diverted (as a dual carriageway) to cross the railway and then miss Honiton entirely and running instead towards Ottery and eventually the M5 junction 30 via Clyst st Mary.

5) I’d like to incorporate a (sensible) climb to get maximum height above the loft hatch for access and that will become a version of Honiton Bank on the scenic section.

(6) I messed up drawing the fiddle yard and it won’t actually be as squashed into the corner as depicted it.)

I’ve got around 6 metres (possibly slightly more) to play with in the scenic L shaped section and obviously this is just a first draft, but I am finding it quite appealing and I think it could be something a bit different…

I’d better post this as I’m about to run out of charge on the phone and I’m nowhere near a charger!

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks for reading. :good_mini:

Nick

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Nick.

Looks like you have the basis for a successful model railway which  is ideally suited for N gauge, allowing realistic sweeping curves with plenty of space for scenic development.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan.

Yes that’s exactly what I’m looking for with this. I’d like the option of being able to do a little bit of shunting and stabling permanent way traffic in the little yard pictured, but the main thing for me that I love about the scale is seeing trains running through the landscape and building the landscape itself.

I’ll need a bit of signalling with this but even then it’s only going to be a few colour lights dotted around (probably going to need some advice on that actually).

In other news Lapford and Eggesford is featured in this month’s edition of Railway Modeller and having just read the article I’m really pleased with what Steve Flint and the team have done with it.

I never imagined this happening when I bought that first Dapol 33 a few years ago!

When that model arrived on my doorstep (exactly three years tomorrow!) in February 2019 I didn’t have the time to look at it as I was on my way to work so I took it with me and unwrapped it at lunchtime.
Just by happenstance I was painting a customers house that was right next to the actual railway line between Lapford and Eggesford that day so…

DE16DA48-72D7-4B92-89D0-9D667701C79F.jpeg.fc71da8deb5038619ec85b7641f3ac68.jpeg

Well I thought it would be a shame not to..? :sungum:

7DB73E12-4994-47A4-B526-E10F174295CA.jpeg.246f4fea3fe151710cb04f14fe8fda2b.jpeg

(next stop Eggesford)

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 3

38 minutes ago, Duncan. said:

Hi Nick,

The only change I would make to our track plan would be to form a run round in the P- way sidings. This simple addition would give you just a little more operating potential.

Cheers

Duncan

I think that’s a very good idea. I was looking for a photo that I’d seen a while ago and just realised that was actually taken by @Captain Kernow of this parish.

The second photo shows that there was a type of run round loop formed out of part of the up platform loop (which had become a headshunt by then) and the adjacent siding.

I quite like that arrangement I must say but with a couple of extra sidings in the yard possibly.

Those photos capture perfectly what I’ve always loved about the place.

Edited by Cowley 47521
I’d also like to know what the marshmallow thingy is…
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Very much enjoyed the article in the Modeller. Steve Flint's pictures really do justice to your work.

The new scheme looks very interesting, but I hope you can find some way to keep hold of Lapford. It would be a shame to have to move it on as you've captured the essence of the North Devon line to a 'T'. :)

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Very much enjoyed the article in the Modeller. Steve Flint's pictures really do justice to your work.

The new scheme looks very interesting, but I hope you can find some way to keep hold of Lapford. It would be a shame to have to move it on as you've captured the essence of the North Devon line to a 'T'. :)

Thanks Rich and yes I know that it probably sounds a bit strange to have got this far and then to be talking about selling it.

I’ve not completely made my mind up as to what I’ll do with the layout yet but part of the problem is that it needs access around three sides to operate it and that means it needs quite a large room to fit it into (I could have planned that better really).

I’ll see how it goes and just enjoy running trains for the moment. Much agreed about Steve Flints photos though. 

Nick

• Friendly/supportive 2

This is a lovely layout, I hope you continue to enjoy it.  The new proposal looks very good, and has lots of possible trains to see go by.  I think there was a brick works in the area that you are modelling that sent a few wagons by rail.  Sure your Class 50s and Class 33s would be right at home on the 'mule' plus for variety there is Coal and Cement for Exmouth Junction and Exeter Central respectively.  Then if there happens to be engineering work between Exeter and Taunton, the world is your oyster for any traffic that you fancy going West of Exeter- from diverted express trains to Paddington and china clay.  Are you planning for DC or DCC?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Torbay Express said:

This is a lovely layout, I hope you continue to enjoy it.  The new proposal looks very good, and has lots of possible trains to see go by.  I think there was a brick works in the area that you are modelling that sent a few wagons by rail.  Sure your Class 50s and Class 33s would be right at home on the 'mule' plus for variety there is Coal and Cement for Exmouth Junction and Exeter Central respectively.  Then if there happens to be engineering work between Exeter and Taunton, the world is your oyster for any traffic that you fancy going West of Exeter- from diverted express trains to Paddington and china clay.  Are you planning for DC or DCC?

Ah yes the coal trains for Exmouth Junction. I used to love watching those attack the bank up to Central. I think the empties might have carried on to Yeovil Junction possibly?

I’ll stick with DCC for any future layout I think. Having made the plunge and learnt the new way of doing things I can’t imagine going back now really.

• Like 1

Big fan of Lapford and watching this with great interest. It's a great choice of prototype.

I had a different temptation... LSWR main line in 1990 assuming it hadn't been downgraded and that some branches had survived. Seaton or Exeter Central in that era would have had a lot of operational potential. I remember looking at Freezer's famous plan of Exeter Central and thinking "one day". 

Modelling decline can also be very interesting and atmospheric though. Even the latter day loco hauled  trains with 47s were great fun - I remember how excited we were to bash a very tatty former ScotRail 47 from Yeovil Junction!

• Like 2

Thanks

1 hour ago, fezza said:

Big fan of Lapford and watching this with great interest. It's a great choice of prototype.

I had a different temptation... LSWR main line in 1990 assuming it hadn't been downgraded and that some branches had survived. Seaton or Exeter Central in that era would have had a lot of operational potential. I remember looking at Freezer's famous plan of Exeter Central and thinking "one day". 

Modelling decline can also be very interesting and atmospheric though. Even the latter day loco hauled  trains with 47s were great fun - I remember how excited we were to bash a very tatty former ScotRail 47 from Yeovil Junction!

47706 - eventually crumbled and had a limited edition of it. That's quite a good period with 47's failing - Dutch 37s,Class 33s, RFD/Tinsley 47s all made appearances.

• Like 2

A bit late perhaps but just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your video of Lapford, especially the latter half with the sound dubbed on.  A really fun watch!  Also good to see the layout in the Modeller.  Good luck with whatever you do next - you've a wonderful basis to build on and I hope it brings you as much fun as Lapford clearly does.

Best wishes,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Grampus said:

A bit late perhaps but just wanted to say how much I enjoyed your video of Lapford, especially the latter half with the sound dubbed on.  A really fun watch!  Also good to see the layout in the Modeller.  Good luck with whatever you do next - you've a wonderful basis to build on and I hope it brings you as much fun as Lapford clearly does.

Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks Paul. I really appreciate that.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...

Blimey it’s been a while since I posted anything in this thread (I haven’t quite built up the energy to replace the lost photos yet).

Just to say that we’ll be exhibiting my friends railway ‘Moors View’ at the Exeter show this weekend. I had a quick chat to @Chris M who’s exhibiting his lovely Dawlish Warren layout earlier and it was nice to put a name to a face.

If anyone local is coming along (I’m looking at you for a start @Ramblin Rich) please come and say hello. Look for a snowy N gauge layout and that’ll be us!

in other news, well not too much really. I keep buying things on Saturday nights after a few beers but I’ve banned myself from eBay for a bit…

Oh and I snapped an electricity pole the other day and had to make a little box to act as a splint:

52B4B969-86A5-427C-AC6A-364D42727737.thumb.jpeg.855f81e8866fff2aebe410914dccf7f0.jpeg

(Don’t open the door because it’s very very dangerous)

And as a group we’ve been trying to detail up all the stuff that we’ll be running this weekend:

F6151633-2774-4721-90D0-B2CFD470638D.thumb.jpeg.93f470a5bf137c677d32666ea3198714.jpeg

That’s pretty much it but I’ll post a few photos from the show next week.

Edited by Cowley 47521
I’ve forgotten how to write things in English.
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Cheers Nick. Do intend to come along Saturday a.m. with our lad in tow. Will be good to meet up!

Ah great. I’ll let your lad drive something if he’s up for it?

I’m really looking to this weekend actually, we haven’t done a show for two and a half years now!

• Like 1