Cowley 47521

Lapford in N gauge.

51 minutes ago, TomJ said:

Apparently Lapford is haunted by a former vicar (who murdered his curate) in revenge for not being buried in the churchyard. And one a year the ghost of Archbishop of Canterbury Thomas Beckett visits the village 

Good lord. I always knew it was a bit strange out there.

Ghosts in the road, caravans rotting away, disappearing hitch hikers...

”Don’t stray off the path!”

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, mudmagnet said:

There  was an old caravan further up the road tucked in behind a hedge where an old couple lived. The tale goes that after the old man died, he could be seen hitchhiking along the road.

The caravan was left to rot and believe gone now.

Very close, very nearly there.....   but it wasn't quite hitchhiking.....

Julian

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

Very close, very nearly there.....   but it wasn't quite hitchhiking.....

Julian

I’m worried about the direction this is going in! :mocking_mini:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

This what happens when the Battle of the Beanfield was too much for you and you decide that it’s time to settle down with a dilapidated bungalow in some forgotten backwater in Devon...

51E2F4F9-AFED-47B8-BF5C-3AD9BE6BB308.jpeg.34979622dfaff4ac84aa20ea13bd9583.jpeg

Once you’ve decided what to do it’s best if you throw all of the furniture and the white goods out into the garden while you think about what to do next.

I mean at least the kids have got somewhere to sit...

• Like 11

What great shots. I have enjoyed watching this layout come together.

Out of interest, does anyone have any photos of the Ambrosia factory while it was in operation? Or know of books with photos in? I know it is still standing but the only photos I have seen of it are recent.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Out of interest, does anyone have any photos of the Ambrosia factory while it was in operation? Or know of books with photos in? I know it is still standing but the only photos I have seen of it are recent.

Thanks for your comments Karhedron.

I must admit that I don’t have any photos of it while it was still working. I’ve seen a photo of a two tone green 25 with full yellow ends taking the the spur to the loading dock with some milk tanks, but photos of it pre 1973 are pretty hard to come by.

48 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

If you Google Ambrosia Lapford and click the images tag, there are a number of pictures, although the Lipton end of the business keeps interfering.

Julian

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, jcredfer said:

If you Google Ambrosia Lapford and click the images tag, there are a number of pictures, although the Lipton end of the business keeps interfering.

Julian

I just did that and there were a couple of pictures that I hadn’t seen before, and a couple of shots of my own railway which was a bit weird...

Edited by Cowley 47521
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I just did that and there were a couple of pictures that I hadn’t seen before, as a couple of shots of my own railway which was a bit weird...

Fame...  at last!   :D

Julian

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I tried that but all the photos I got were either of Lifton or of Lapford after it closed. The only one I could find of Lapford in operation it this thumbnail-sized one.

22032277436_e4d089be72_n.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mudmagnet said:

There  was an old caravan further up the road tucked in behind a hedge where an old couple lived. The tale goes that after the old man died, he could be seen hitchhiking along the road.

The caravan was left to rot and believe gone now.

Laying the ghost to rest.....

The Umberleigh ghost, was, indeed, an old gentleman and his wife, who did have a very old, very, very, tiny caravan in their last couple of years.  Before that they had lived in an old grey Austin A 30 car, both of which were kept in a small roadside, disused, quarry, in amongst bits of shrubbery.  He used to write clues for the Times and Telegraph Crosswords, although no-one knew what happened to the money earned, which, back then, would have been quite reasonable.  Whilst thinking up the Crosswords, he would sit on an old black Sit-up-and-Beg bicycle, while she would push him for miles, along the road.  When it rained they continued as before, but he would don an, all enveloping, large translucent white[ish] cape, which, if you came round a corner in the dark, would appear to hover a couple of feet above the road.  Lit up by the car headlights, the translucent white spectre was really rather heart-stopping, if you hadn't been previously aware they actually continued their travels at night.  

Not being fully aware it was their deliberate choice of location, or financial well-being, the pupils on the School bus, naturally felt very sorry for what appeared to be a couple badly down on their luck.  The pupils clubbed together and made up a Christmas Hamper for the old couple and arranged for the bus driver to stop, when they came across the couple.  When they took the Hamper from the bus to wish them a Happy Christmas, they got the surprise of a lifetime.  Both of the old pair railed furiously at them, flailing their arms and told them what they could do with the presents.  It would seem that they were happy with their chosen way of life and didn't appreciate interfering snotty-nosed kids suggesting they couldn't look after themselves...  They didn't bother again, can't think why.

Uz 'ant niver si'n thicky, Lap'fd arky bisop, mind, but ee'm sed tu be moity froshus on ees 'ors an all!!

J

• Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

Laying the ghost to rest.....

The Umberleigh ghost, was, indeed, an old gentleman and his wife, who did have a very old, very, very, tiny caravan in their last couple of years.  Before that they had lived in an old grey Austin A 30 car, both of which were kept in a small roadside, disused, quarry, in amongst bits of shrubbery.  He used to write clues for the Times and Telegraph Crosswords, although no-one knew what happened to the money earned, which, back then, would have been quite reasonable.  Whilst thinking up the Crosswords, he would sit on an old black Sit-up-and-Beg bicycle, while she would push him for miles, along the road.  When it rained they continued as before, but he would don an, all enveloping, large translucent white[ish] cape, which, if you came round a corner in the dark, would appear to hover a couple of feet above the road.  Lit up by the car headlights, the translucent white spectre was really rather heart-stopping, if you hadn't been previously aware they actually continued their travels at night.  

Not being fully aware it was their deliberate choice of location, or financial well-being, the pupils on the School bus, naturally felt very sorry for what appeared to be a couple badly down on their luck.  The pupils clubbed together and made up a Christmas Hamper for the old couple and arranged for the bus driver to stop, when they came across the couple.  When they took the Hamper from the bus to wish them a Happy Christmas, they got the surprise of a lifetime.  Both of the old pair railed furiously at them, flailing their arms and told them what they could do with the presents.  It would seem that they were happy with their chosen way of life and didn't appreciate interfering snotty-nosed kids suggesting they couldn't look after themselves...  They didn't bother again, can't think why.

Uz 'ant niver si'n thicky, Lap'fd arky bisop, mind, but ee'm sed tu be moity froshus on ees 'ors an all!!

J

That’s a great story and I’ve not heard it before, yet I can absolutely picture the people!

• Thanks 1

On 04/07/2020 at 23:34, Karhedron said:

Been looking through "the books" :) 

There's a rather hazy view from 1963 in the 2010 edition of 'The North Devon Line' by Nicholas and Reeves, looking into the yard from the platform. There is a van end-on (so there may be more beyond) in the siding nearest the dairy by the loading dock. The siding parallel to this has milk tank(s) in it further along and looks like it has some form of pipework overhead, presumably for cleaning. And just to show coal traffic was still important then, a long line of 16t minerals occupying the siding by the road embankment. The same book has an internal view showing the milk powder processing plant.

There's another picture in the 'Devon & Cornwall Railfreight' book from 1969, showing 2x class 22s with the milk train from Torrington shunting the sidings. Strangely the main train is still coupled up, so the locos have 3 tanks ahead of them (being pulled out of the siding) and around 10 behind them, trailing off down the line towards Barnstaple. A strange sandwich to be sorted out by running around some part of the train in some fashion....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Been looking through "the books" :) 

There's a rather hazy view from 1963 in the 2010 edition of 'The North Devon Line' by Nicholas and Reeves, looking into the yard from the platform. There is a van end-on (so there may be more beyond) in the siding nearest the dairy by the loading dock. The siding parallel to this has milk tank(s) in it further along and looks like it has some form of pipework overhead, presumably for cleaning. And just to show coal traffic was still important then, a long line of 16t minerals occupying the siding by the road embankment. The same book has an internal view showing the milk powder processing plant.

There's another picture in the 'Devon & Cornwall Railfreight' book from 1969, showing 2x class 22s with the milk train from Torrington shunting the sidings. Strangely the main train is still coupled up, so the locos have 3 tanks ahead of them (being pulled out of the siding) and around 10 behind them, trailing off down the line towards Barnstaple. A strange sandwich to be sorted out by running around some part of the train in some fashion....

I saw that photo of the 22s for the first time quite recently and it’s definitely an interesting picture as the trackwork all looks fairly well kept and also complete.

I’ve got a map in one of my books (unfortunately packed away at the moment) that shows the station in its heyday and I can picture it but I never saw it like that.
I went for the much simpler track layout of how I remember it in the 80s, but I’d love to make a version set in the late steam/early diesel period when it still had everything and was busy.

I wanted to try and pinpoint a moment in own my youth I suppose.

Edited by Cowley 47521
I’d forgotten how to spell
  • Like 4

Part this bit

Evening folks.

This is covering the last few months to show where I’ve got too now more or less.

It was a case of putting some lights in and adding extra bits of detail where I could by looking at photos of the place back then and trying to recreate what I could.

There’s a couple of photos here of the lights showing the platform and road (with the warehouses in the background):

B8281FFC-774F-41D9-8164-108304F07FE6.jpeg.46bee1160098a3ad5194f9e508f4105c.jpegD785DED4-348A-4C80-A547-9AEE39AC9A46.jpeg.5bb696210eadb4ef5de3c679c32c4e03.jpeg

It seems that people were quite happy to drive around with no lights on in those days. I guess they knew the roads well?

Around this time I put a backscene in. It’s not Devon (actually I think it’s the Peak District), but it made a big difference to how it looked from eye level.

A bit of detail around the station entrance:3419FD69-A524-476B-8273-6DCE5FA7FA43.jpeg.6391ea078db35e4173d669729b217862.jpeg

The odd dodgy cameo...B35A1B1B-9581-4478-8B82-C66C40A6A34E.jpeg.8c8acf6ce3b2a9ea1ba98e94614b3444.jpeg

(My friend kept asking me where the digger driver was)

This is the station garden with my other half moving the chairs around ready for a post work glass of wine as the dog pointlessly barks at her (I don’t know why he hasn’t grown out of that yet).

144F2C43-96C1-4578-B5E4-D78AD18067F4.jpeg.3df6aa6fe8bd38c64e1a82857be78b75.jpeg

A DMU arriving at the station past my attempt at rhododendrons (yes I know they’re not purple enough).

9B272621-99DD-4831-82FF-5B04055C58E5.jpeg.96ea11cc1cf267cce68bb9f49806c2fe.jpeg

Here’s a good overview of the yard and station showing hopefully the view I was trying to achieve.

It’s not quite finished but I’m quite pleased considering so much of it was a first attempt:

AF0C76A2-D71C-4AFB-A812-CBEE5D0FC72C.jpeg.b4a96b38c6c3861bca7b877b04695933.jpeg

And here’s a little YouTube clip of 33102 arriving and departing on its way to Exeter.

That’s all for tonight but I’ll post a few more photos in the next couple of days. Thanks for taking the trouble to look at it though.

Nick

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Hi

Superb set of pictures....

Very realistic.

Thanks for posting & i'm  looking forward to more....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Superb set of pictures....

Very realistic.

Thanks for posting & i'm  looking forward to more....

Thanks @treggyman. That’s much appreciated and I’ll post some more stuff in the next couple of days.

• Like 1