Lapford in N gauge.

Cowley 47521

Well I bravely tackled the malfeasant point this weekend...

It actually went remarkably well and after a fair amount of testing to make sure that everything worked properly I’ve come to the conclusion that I should have done this a while ago...

Here’s a couple of photos of the action (the p-way crew managed to pinch 37035 for the job, they’re sitting in the brake van drinking tea in the first shot):

D5254877-F3D4-463B-8CEC-CD61E5D267C8.jpeg.0f11fc2a3430c1150ccf9fd75ed042a6.jpeg

6B119033-6BD9-4EF6-ACE0-6217BCA89ACC.jpeg.688143371096e90c2afa37d525f97a31.jpeg

6E0B5AC2-1A6D-4771-AFD9-8022277B9790.jpeg.178d0e9c2fff49b51b6ba561def5060b.jpeg

(Yes I do know that I’m a 47 year old man that shouldn’t be so childish.)

All in situ and everything including the point motor working correctly, what a difference.

Touch wood no more stalling anymore, and all that I need to do now is weather it all down somewhat, because it stands out like a brand new point in Lapford yard in 1989 at the moment!

D619EB27-2014-4419-94D4-AEC893BCF4C9.jpeg.8f6110d609b2e812f8097630305629a2.jpeg

The other current job is making endless amounts of trees. I say endless but it’s a slow process and so far I’ve made about 35 skeletons. 
They need to look like the ones I’ve already made though if I want to tie it all in together. At least I can sit and watch something with my other half while I’m making them though.

1B3A8946-77BF-4910-937B-395485D94564.jpeg.2658bca815b8f78b9d12a5f1c488406c.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...

Evening everyone.

There’s been some slow steady progress to report so here goes...

I’ve been mainly working on the two new extensions for the north and south end of the main layout and also trying to work out a way of blending them into a new backscene which I’m intending to be just sky eventually.

This means curving the roads and railway in such a way that you lose sight of them (hopefully) behind the various hills and trees.

At least that’s the plan anyway.

I’m trying to copy as near as possible how I did everything originally so I’ve gone through the same processes, starting with using polystyrene insulation board to form the contours.

Of course at this point I’m deviating away from the prototype somewhat because unfortunately I don’t have a spare room that’s 150 feet long (not even in our East Wing)...

So I’ve kinked the track firstly to towards the front edge of the board and then curved it around the back to keep the curves as gentle as I possibly could.

I’ve also built a small amount of cant into the track with the aid of plasticard, which you can’t really see unless the camera is quite low but after very very much testing I’m actually quite pleased with it.

Here’s a couple of photos of it all coming together:

51ADDC0A-93FC-41DB-96F0-B210C184D23C.jpeg.0170948b9a9f64bf77d47471d60af45f.jpeg

2B4F21D1-B84B-4783-B80C-7128076B12E0.jpeg.31783f36578dfcc13791d39877c9759c.jpeg

So that’s all that...

Since then I’ve been busy with filler, sandpaper and PVA making the various contours blend in with what I already had and I’ve also made the roads up and set them into the scene.

I love doing all of this, and I especially love using the cheese grater with the really fine holes to the grade the slopes down. You know that cheese grater right? It’s the type that’s always the only one that you can ever find in the back of the cupboard when you want to make a cheese sandwich because the teenagers have lost the proper one in their bedroom for some reason, and anyway, why can’t they just put things back in the actual place they should be for the love of god? It’s really not that complicated! I mean I don’t park my car in the central reservation of the M5 and then ask everyone where my car is the next day do I?

Er, where was I?

Track tested and sprayed with sleeper grime, hills filled and smoothed off once it was all dry and things are starting to come together.

I even got my other half to help with a bit of the ballast work today bless her!

Here’s a couple of photos of where it’s got to tonight with some card slotted in to the groove where the backscene will eventually go:

C56C7140-CCE9-4220-A8DC-AE8E2C3BC397.jpeg.8bee723378c8ac3e674dec2a9ef1c36a.jpeg

D9740AD1-8A24-430B-8B72-60B746881FC2.jpeg.f1a4065f923d364e0aac73a02452b207.jpeg

Lastly but not leastly is the little Eggishford cameo around the back (next to the fiddle yard).

I’m not concentrating on this too much at the moment as it’s a bit of a fun side project really.

I did break out a new bag of ballast that I bought online earlier (I can’t remember what I used originally but I had just enough to finish all the stuff at the front off) so that I could do the curve up to the level crossing but it looked awful due to the difference in colour from what I used on the rest of the layout, so I grumpily hoovered it all back up and decided to leave it for now.

I’ve got this far with it though:

D971EC37-8F7F-46BA-A185-F425EBBCCFCA.jpeg.3b45c4ae3a75aaf3d86e38520d0ea4fc.jpeg

That’s it for now anyway. Thanks for reading though folks.

Nick

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good progress Nick, hadn't noticed earlier posts until now. Eggesford buildings look especially nice and the new scenic section is very convincing. I've kind of lost my motivation a bit so it's great to see you keeping the North Devon line flag flying! :) 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Ramblin Rich said:

Good progress Nick, hadn't noticed earlier posts until now. Eggesford buildings look especially nice and the new scenic section is very convincing. I've kind of lost my motivation a bit so it's great to see you keeping the North Devon line flag flying! :) 

Thanks Rich.

It comes and goes sometimes. I got lots done during the first lockdown but I’ve been working solidly recently and I’ve damaged the tendons in my right arm so I’ve been trying to rest it as much as possible at the weekends.
If I could make things as well with my left hand it’d be great. :wacko:

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 4 weeks later...

Evening everyone.

Hope you’re all doing well? It does feel like there’s some room for optimism in all of this finally doesn’t it?

I have been doing stuff to the layout and I’ll try and update this thread in the next couple of days but I was hoping one of you kind people could give me a little bit of advice...

I’m trying to work out what the signalling arrangements were in the station area around Eggesford while the box was still in operation.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Nick

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Beat me to it Graham! Once the sidings were removed, fairly simple:  home  & starter in each direction, the distants fixed (no lever numbers). Extra interest being the banner repeater because the up starter was masked by the buildings. That might be tricky in N gauge though :O

Interestingly, some photos in the Cyber heritage sites show a lower quadrant starter in the down direction. Presumably this went in after the line went to Western Region control, but I can't work out just when. Or if others were replaced later. Nice mix of styles while they overlapped.  ;)

• Friendly/supportive 1

I knew you wouldn’t let me down! :good:

That site has been very useful when trying to work some of this stuff out I must say.

So looking at the diagram of the signalling I can see what everything was meant to do, but am I reading it right that there was a (home?) signal just before the points on the Exeter side of the loop?

I’m going to have to lose some of the Barnstaple end of the long loop with the use of modellers license somehow due to a lack of space, so it’s the Exeter end that I’m most interested in trying to get right at the moment.

Thanks guys. 

As for that banner repeater in N? Gawd...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Happy to help, 

As for the banner repeater......have a go you never know !

Having lived very close to the line for 30+ years I took a ( passing ) interest in the various stations, that said, I was always taken by the buildings due to my work as a Building Control Officer.

The Ambrosia site saw quite a few changes during my working life and at one point suffered a major fire. The end which is closest to the station still is run as a removal company HQ and the proprietor is well know to me. He always took an interest in the line to the extent he once approached NR to see if there was a possibility for re-opening the siding for his firm to use.

I haven't commented on your Lapford layout previously but I think you have definitely captured it extremely well and is instantly recognisable.

G

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bgman said:

Happy to help, 

As for the banner repeater......have a go you never know !

Having lived very close to the line for 30+ years I took a ( passing ) interest in the various stations, that said, I was always taken by the buildings due to my work as a Building Control Officer.

The Ambrosia site saw quite a few changes during my working life and at one point suffered a major fire. The end which is closest to the station still is run as a removal company HQ and the proprietor is well know to me. He always took an interest in the line to the extent he once approached NR to see if there was a possibility for re-opening the siding for his firm to use.

I haven't commented on your Lapford layout previously but I think you have definitely captured it extremely well and is instantly recognisable.

G

Thank you very much for that.
Funnily enough I was up there having a look around Lapford and taking a few measurements of the old Ambrosia warehouse last Friday.

I couldn’t work out who was in charge to be honest, but it’s absolutely bonkers up there!

I’d like to redo some of what I originally did at some point and they’ve always been really helpful when I’ve asked to have a look around (especially once I’ve shown them a few photos of what I’ve been up to).

Would you be able to go into a little more detail about the fire (I’m not sure when or what happened?) possibly Mr G?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

little more detail about the fire

I was called to attend the fire which was in March 2009 during the night. 

It took hold in the building shown here which abuts George's  warehouse and lasted throughout the night. The main issue was the asbestos in the building and any "fall-out" possibly caused to the immediate neighbourhood. 

20769586340_402542de34_n.jpg.c9b0e928de66d2f70cea52bda7d6ba06.jpg

765210488_lapfordfire.jpg.4f76c196523adf370e563ff72fcb8c83.jpg

I cannot remember the cause but the fire crews who attended believe it originated in a basement area. Fortunately most of them were well know to me as they were mostly from the building fraternity and retained firefighters. One of the appliances came from North Tawton where an excellent chip shop owner heard of the fire and delivered over 30+ bags of fish and chips to us all to keep us going through the night ! True !!!

7 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

and they’ve always been really helpful when I’ve asked to have a look around (especially once I’ve shown them a few photos of what I’ve been up to).

I'm not surprised, especially if you send them some photographs of your finished work, and if you should happen to see George please say hello from me.

Grahame

• Friendly/supportive 1

I know it's a long shot, but would that be the George of the Transport company, who had one of the first Ford Mustangs, in Devon, or perhaps a completely different gent?  (I know, there are quite a few Georges in Devon.  :rolleyes: }

Edit to say that I should have gone to google maps before asking, as I see it's Rose Removals.  Apologies to everyone, I'm very sorry.

Edited by jcredfer
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, bgman said:

I was called to attend the fire which was in March 2009 during the night. 

It took hold in the building shown here which abuts George's  warehouse and lasted throughout the night. The main issue was the asbestos in the building and any "fall-out" possibly caused to the immediate neighbourhood. 

20769586340_402542de34_n.jpg.c9b0e928de66d2f70cea52bda7d6ba06.jpg

765210488_lapfordfire.jpg.4f76c196523adf370e563ff72fcb8c83.jpg

I cannot remember the cause but the fire crews who attended believe it originated in a basement area. Fortunately most of them were well know to me as they were mostly from the building fraternity and retained firefighters. One of the appliances came from North Tawton where an excellent chip shop owner heard of the fire and delivered over 30+ bags of fish and chips to us all to keep us going through the night ! True !!!

I'm not surprised, especially if you send them some photographs of your finished work, and if you should happen to see George please say hello from me.

Grahame

Superb Grahame. An actual photo of the action too!

I will name drop you when I go over there next time.

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

I know it's a long shot, but would that be the George of the Transport company, who had one of the first Ford Mustangs, in Devon, or perhaps a completely different gent?  (I know, there are quite a few Georges in Devon.  :rolleyes: }

Edit to say that I should have gone to google maps before asking, as I see it's Rose Removals.  Apologies to everyone, I'm very sorry.

So this Ford Mustang...?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

I knew you wouldn’t let me down! :good:

That site has been very useful when trying to work some of this stuff out I must say.

So looking at the diagram of the signalling I can see what everything was meant to do, but am I reading it right that there was a (home?) signal just before the points on the Exeter side of the loop?

I’m going to have to lose some of the Barnstaple end of the long loop with the use of modellers license somehow due to a lack of space, so it’s the Exeter end that I’m most interested in trying to get right at the moment.

Thanks guys. 

Here you go, nice SR rail built job literally just before the points

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/north_devon_line_okehampton_web_optimised/293 142 1637 Bple-Exe Ctl Eggesford Thur 22.10.87..html

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

You’re a star Rich thanks for that.

Really like the lower quadrant one and it’s a bit nearer the platform than I’d realised.

I’m going to have to use a fair amount of modellers license that end anyway so I might incorporate it.

The SR ones are lovely though. Dapol are supposed to be releasing working ones at some point, which aren’t cheap but would be nice to have.

• Like 1

Better do an update time 12/3/2021...

It’s all about the corners!

Having got everything running properly now and the contours of the scenery in place I painted the new end sections with a base coat, sorted out the road markings on the new bits of road and purchased a load of static grass from eBay before setting about it.

Unfortunately the grass was awful and looked nothing like the stuff I’d used before, which caused confusion, muttering and a long trawl through my eBay history to work out what it was I’d used last time before reordering the correct stuff and doing it all over again...

I’ll just concentrate on the Barnstaple end this tonight and do the Exeter end tomorrow at some point, but here’s a photo of the Cowley tree production line (I have made soooo many trees this last few weeks and it still takes me ages):

14A58B40-FA44-479E-9A1A-D9783B64E477.jpeg.1403962b9cdca9f4d096b3faf664159e.jpeg

And here’s a photo of the turgid green grass which looks a bit like something Peter Purvis made for the Blue Peter railway using dyed green sweepings from a rabbit hutch.

I’m not going to name the manufacturer because I think it’s probably good for certain things and it was my mistake anyway:

06293340-0A69-4153-ABB1-25854AB3BE16.jpeg.0e0dff54e2eb23e193cd447e0e9dcea2.jpeg

After going over all the grass, letting it dry and adding trees, shrubs, flowers etc it started to look indistinguishable from the original grass which was a big relief.

A couple of things that I’ve done over the whole layout is bake a load of earth from the garden before baking it dry in the oven, sieving it to get it as fine as possible and then sprinkling it over the grass as the glue dries. I quite like the texture it gives, plus it means there’s a bit of genuine Devon earth on it my beauties! 
The other thing is that I trim a lot of the grass down with a beard trimmer.

Although I do leave some of it longer. 

This is an overview of that end once I’d redone the grass and slotted the temporary blue backscene in which I’m going to use for a bit while I decide what I actually want.

So you can see the travellers bungalow to the left on the original board and the joins in the board on the farm track. I’ll be hiding them at some point and blending all the joins in a bit more so that they’re hopefully not too noticeable:

6E8486E4-499D-4B62-947B-8485BF16B519.jpeg.e15c87d089a8fcb47e69772ad953e412.jpeg

This is a view from the lane and the river back towards the station.

In reality this bridge is probably around a mile from Lapford going towards Barnstaple but I just really like it and the way the river goes under it, so I thought it’d be as good way as any to finish the scene off at this end.

D351CDA1-2672-4A81-BF89-A80D03CC64F9.jpeg.62f405dc1b413ce38b392c2c9f1bbd85.jpeg

I do have to apologise here because I’ve used one of these photos with a filter on in another thread on here but I was quite pleased with the way this little corner came out.

I ran the sound fitted 31 through it a couple of nights ago with the flange squeal function going and it made me a bit wistful actually...

CEBC4703-29C0-4DC8-A9A4-1C59E34CC201.jpeg.451efbcc39a30208712ab2b8020ad791.jpeg

A6B246ED-2329-40BC-BAFF-891A63D1D4CB.jpeg.aecd5a0376a2bf959c3f5d8f9f7f33d6.jpeg

So that’s this end pretty much done.

The other end is quite different and in some ways I’ve found it a bit more challenging really but I’ll explain it tomorrow.

Thanks as always for not just reading it but also for being so helpful if I’ve needed advice everyone.

Much appreciated.

Nick

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, Cowley 47521 said:

So this Ford Mustang...?

...  a muscle car, the like of which, previously unseen in Devon, where Fordson Major would be considered master of the lanes.  It may have served as a possible identification of the George bgman mentioned, a lovely, hard working gent at the start of George's Haulage, one man, one truck based near Winkleigh.  Given his successful development of the Haulage, and proximity of Lapford, it might just have been the same George but it seems not.   He would appear at the pub, on the few occasions he wasn't trucking and liked to exercise the beast on Winkleigh airfield runway.

Back on track, those latest pictures are quite remarkable, you have captured the feel of mid-Devon vegetation to perfection - in N gauge, too!!!  The bridges are a delight to see and also reflect the reality of the originals...  even Grandmother seems to approve.

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

...  a muscle car, the like of which, previously unseen in Devon, where Fordson Major would be considered master of the lanes.  It may have served as a possible identification of the George bgman mentioned, a lovely, hard working gent at the start of George's Haulage, one man, one truck based near Winkleigh.  Given his successful development of the Haulage, and proximity of Lapford, it might just have been the same George but it seems not.   He would appear at the pub, on the few occasions he wasn't trucking and liked to exercise the beast on Winkleigh airfield runways.

Back on track, those latest pictures are quite remarkable, you have captured the feel of mid-Devon vegetation to perfection - in N gauge, too!!!  The bridges are a delight to see and also reflect the reality of the originals...  even Grandmother seems to approve.

Thanks very much for your kind words.

Ah Winkleigh airfield. I went there many times to look at Colin Shears amazing collection of old buses and other oddities. I think he even had the old Burgh Island tractor up there on one visit?

I remember going up there one weekend with a friend called Karl who I worked with at BRS who’d bought a 1970 AEC Mandator off him, an ex Q8 tanker tractor unit which he eventually restored.

Our boss at BRS let us borrow the Foden wrecker for the day to tow it back. 

Do you know, I think nostalgia is all it’s cracked up to be sometimes...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Thanks very much for your kind words.

Ah Winkleigh airfield. I went there many times to look at Colin Shears amazing collection of old buses and other oddities. I think he even had the old Burgh Island tractor up there on one visit?

I remember going up there one weekend with a friend called Karl who I worked with at BRS who’d bought a 1970 AEC Mandator off him, an ex Q8 tanker tractor unit which he eventually restored.

Our boss at BRS let us borrow the Foden wrecker for the day to tow it back. 

Do you know, I think nostalgia is all it’s cracked up to be sometimes...

There were so many fantastic items in that collection, ancient fire engines and farm oddities.  I hadn't known how long it had continued to exist, as back in the 60s, it was rumoured to have a very limited time left.  Do you know what happened to it, as it was such a valuable source.

• Friendly/supportive 1