Best Point Motors for OO Gauge?

Yep, sounds perfect for a first time effort.  You probably should have a hidden sector plate and scenic break so that trains can enter the scene, a bit like actors coming onto a stage in a play.

John

2 minutes ago, brossard said:

Yep, sounds perfect for a first time effort.  You probably should have a hidden sector plate and scenic break so that trains can enter the scene, a bit like actors coming onto a stage in a play.

John

exactly what i was thinking! there should be some wood lying in my shed that i can use, and ill get to work ASAP

Pat

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, brossard said:

I have no direct experience with Cobalt other than the club layout has them.  Never heard a complaint.  Their design does address the annoyances that Tortoises have (I think DCC Concepts reverse engineered them).

John

You didn't read my post up a few then! To be fair, I fitted Cobalt IP Digitals to my son's layout and they a have been brilliant. My shunting plank was on the Cobalt-SS and they have been an unmitigated (and expensive) disaster and are now being stripped out. I set them up, absolutely level and straight, they may run for half an hour and then one will jam. It will be random - there are three on the board and two are more common to jam than the last one, but all three have jammed. You have to take the drive to the point off, reset it, put the drive back on, adjust it and then half hour later it, or one its friends, will jam again. Each controller box does two channels - one channel has packed up on one of the controllers.

I would never recommend the Cobalt-SS. Cobalt iP Digital is another matter and they have been good. My only reservation is the depth you need under the baseboard, unless you start mounting them at 90 degrees. But that is the same with Tortoises.

As said up thread, I am using servos now, they are cheap, small and easy to replace if needed, which I haven't had to do yet.

Roy

• Agree 1

I think I did read your post Ray.  You were talking about surface mount motors and I did see them on my travels looking for info.  I have zero experience with surface mount motors.  The Tortoise clones (Cobalt IP) are very good I think.  The club layout motors are the Tortoise clones.

I think we are on the same page.

John