British Rail Mk1 Sleeper

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

It was a Collectors Club special and was the standard Mk1 sleeper painted in Royal Train livery - so presumably not accurate as not based on the Mk1 Pullman.

Cheers

Darius

The Royal train sleepers were a SLF (2908) and SLSTP (2909), the Bachmann/Farish was correct (except possibly the retention loos). The picture above with converted Mk1 Pullmans is the Royal Scotsman train.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

1988 Platform 5 book lists E2108 (new number 99883) and 2110 (99885).

The other coaches listed are

Ex-LNWR 5159 (99880)

Ex-GNR 807 (99881)

Mk1 SK E19169 (99882)

Mk1 SK E19208 (99884)

Mk1 BSK E35407 (99886)

All are vacuum brake & steam heat.

Owned by Thomas Hill & Co., Rotherham and kept at EC (Craigentinny).

1 hour ago, keefer said:

1988 Platform 5 book lists E2108 (new number 99883) and 2110 (99885).

The other coaches listed are

Ex-LNWR 5159 (99880)

Ex-GNR 807 (99881)

Mk1 SK E19169 (99882)

Mk1 SK E19208 (99884)

Mk1 BSK E35407 (99886)

All are vacuum brake & steam heat.

Owned by Thomas Hill & Co., Rotherham and kept at EC (Craigentinny).

I've just checked the 1989 Platform 5 and that adds 99887 ex 2127 Mk1 SLF to the above so that was the third sleeper in the train.

• RMweb Premium

Are there any Mk1 Sleepers still intact anywhere?

I know their asbestos content and potential practical usage outside of static volunteer accommodation put paid to any realistic preservation prospects.

27 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Are there any Mk1 Sleepers still intact anywhere?

I know their asbestos content and potential practical usage outside of static volunteer accommodation put paid to any realistic preservation prospects.

SLF 2080  and 2132

SLC 2442

are preserved in the normal sense.

2108, 2110, 2127 and 2500 exist in degrees of decrepitude in the WCRC dump at Carnforth.

• RMweb Premium

Haven't got Parkin to hand but did all Sleepers have asbestos or was it just certain batches?

Presumably the usual mk1 body corrosion might be another issue anyway

While I appreciate the fitting out of the interior of sleeping cars, I do recall when they were in service that, more often than not, the blinds would be drawn down, for privacy and to darken the sleeping compartments.  Or often they might be just partially pulled down.  So you could not see into the compartments.  And I do not recall from the occasions that I travelled in them that there were any blinds on the windows to the corridor side. (AM)    

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

All Mk1 sleepers were filled with asbestos IIRC.  

One survived very local to me at Bisley station until only last year or so.  It was in superb condition and most of the interior was intact apparently, but is had to be disposed of in the correct manner, not sold into preservation.  I understand the one at Peak Rail is reasonably complete, the former Royal Scotsman one at Bluebell is deteriorating badly.

If not careful, railway preservation could wipe out an entire coach type without noticing.

On 30/06/2020 at 05:10, MGR Hooper! said:

Got a couple of older Hornby Mk1 Sleeper coaches, they're in a pretty bad condition, so I am thinking of restoring them. Both of them have the B5 bogies, so I was wanting to know how many liveries did the Mk1 Sleeper coach carry when they had B5 bogies under them?

I am also led to believe that the Hornby Mk1 Sleeper coaches didn't come with interiors, does anyone have a diagram of the interior layout and images so that I can 3D print an interior for the two coaches I have?

Lastly, is there any glazing kits for the Mk1 Sleeper coaches from Hornby?

TIA

Hopefully you will put up how you go about improving your sleepers - I'm amassing a few, mainly Triang and Hornby, with the idea of 'improving' them as I read somewhere on RMWeb that these were quite good models (correct length, etc).  I also spotted a Bachmann super-detailed offering on eBay, so I may pick that up to act as a "yardstick" to work to!

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Northmoor said:

If not careful, railway preservation could wipe out an entire coach type without noticing.

Mk4’s will probably dissapear first.
the remaining mk1 sleepers will rot away indefinitely as it costs money to get rid of them.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The main thing to watch for with the Bachmann sleepers (initially anyway, don't know if/when it was sorted) was the maroon SLF and b/g SLS had the wrong roof-vent covers.

The SLF had a long one when it should've been short and vice-versa for the SLS.

(I think I've got that the right way round - there's a thread on them in the Bachmann section)

• Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hopefully you will put up how you go about improving your sleepers - I'm amassing a few, mainly Triang and Hornby, with the idea of 'improving' them as I read somewhere on RMWeb that these were quite good models (correct length, etc).  I also spotted a Bachmann super-detailed offering on eBay, so I may pick that up to act as a "yardstick" to work to!

Steve S

Just a basic update Steve, nothing phenomenal. Swapping out the wheels for modern day ones, putting on narrower tension lock couplings, putting on etched handrails and giving them a repaint (nothing era specific) to whatever livery I think looks good on a prototype that exists in the real world. Those coaches that need extras, I am have them 3D printed.

Hornby Mk1 sleeper (Royal Train)
Hornby Mk1 Sleeper (BR Blue)
Hornby Mk1 Buffet (Blue - like one of the preserved samples)
Lima Mk1 Restaurant (Intercity maybe)
Lima Mk2 FK (Intercity)
Hornby Mk2 BFK (intercity with white roof)

That might change if I find any more images....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Looking in the coaching stock diagrams book pdf linked to earlier, what was the Brake Staff Sleeping Car (AU501) used for?  (Obviously staff, but what circumstances?)

Again, peering at the diagrams, are the Mk 1 BCK carriages the closest in terms of modelling?  Blocking out two doors and a slightly remodelling the interior?  (I shall peruse the web for possible photos)

Steve S

On 03/07/2020 at 14:26, Northmoor said:

One survived very local to me at Bisley station until only last year or so.  It was in superb condition and most of the interior was intact apparently, but is had to be disposed of in the correct manner, not sold into preservation.  I understand the one at Peak Rail is reasonably complete, the former Royal Scotsman one at Bluebell is deteriorating badly.

I am led to believe the one at Peak Rail has had the Asbestos removed which if correct gives it a good chance of survival. 

• Agree 1

On 03/07/2020 at 14:34, Enterprisingwestern said:

Well, they've all but managed it with the XP64's, so no change there then!

Mike.

As a percentage survival rate the XP64s are doing much better than the MK1 sleepers, there are 3 of an original take of 8 prototypes surviving.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, 37114 said:

As a percentage survival rate the XP64s are doing much better than the MK1 sleepers, there are 3 of an original take of 8 prototypes surviving.

All are in very poor condition and awaiting plans for blue asbestos removal. The one at the DFR is subject to a lottery grant but I don't know the status of the Wensleydale pair. Just hope the current funding crisis doesn't finish them off.

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Hi

Looking in the coaching stock diagrams book pdf linked to earlier, what was the Brake Staff Sleeping Car (AU501) used for?  (Obviously staff, but what circumstances?)

Again, peering at the diagrams, are the Mk 1 BCK carriages the closest in terms of modelling?  Blocking out two doors and a slightly remodelling the interior?  (I shall peruse the web for possible photos)

Steve S

Took a bit of digging but I found them, two of them to be precise.  Former Mk1 BCK 21270 and 21267 became Mk1 Charter Train Staff Coach 2833 and 2834 respectively in July 1988 on B5 bogies.  There is even a picture of 2833 in the Hugh Longworth Mk1 & Mk2 book in full unbranded white roof Intercity livery.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

2833/4 were part of the IntercIty Charter Fleet.  The white-roof, white-wheel-rim superbly turned-out land-cruise trains which offered some rather good (and rather expensive) opportunities to ride the more scenic parts of the network over several days.  Trains were typically formed of otherwise-redundant MK1 FO vehicles with suitable restaurant cars between them and Mk3 sleepers for the passengers.  As train crew over and above the sleeping car attendant were required to stay with the train overnight the two BCK coaches were converted and were a common sight in the lengthy formation (up to load 16) of the land cruise trains.  

• Informative/Useful 3

With thanks to John M Upton and Gwiwer, it appears these particular coaches are well outside my chosen era for modelling!  

I am guessing that the land-cruise trains are a thing of the past, and that these coaches no longer exist?  Although if they are not full of asbestos like the MK1 sleepers, I suppose they might be more easily used by preservation societies/heritage lines for staff/volunteers to bunk down in?

Steve S