Sat at home with know one yet able to stay at my B&B I am getting on with another of the stash of Hobbytime mink F kits

Haveing sorted out with advise on here nearly four years ago how to stick ally,for the last one I built, the body has been no trouble, But this time Haveing read more on the web when we couldn't go out, I am thinking of useing different bogies on this kit as the ones in my resource books pictures have the square axelbox covers rather than the round topped ones that come with the kits bogies,

any recomdations  as which ones to go for ? I have Ratio, Cambrian versions but none have the square box covers the only thing found on the web is to use the Hobbytime bogies under the 40t bogie coal wagons but not what to use under the mink F that youhave robbed them from?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RexAshton said:

Have as look at MJT parts on here

Thanks but !

being well aquatinted with useing MJT bogies on my siphons and Haveing double checke, MJT don't do a plate wagon bogie .not that I know wether the right "heavy or light" is right which is why I asked to choose if they did one, the kit comes with what I call the heavy bogie, deeper throated with reinforcing strips along top and another one below the holes and springs,

the cambrian ones only have a single reinforcing strip along the top and round top oil boxes, the ratio bogies are the thinner light weight bogies with no reinforcement strips still with oil boxes, none of which match the pictures of these things I have in the HRMS gwr iron minks booklet, hence my enquiry as for the best bogie to fit with greese boxes found in the pictures I have, my enquiry is powered the text and pictures I have in this HMRS booklet and A,K, H gwr wagons the text contradicting the pictures, unfortunately the pictures are late or BR time line, other wise I would believe them over text ,but modelling their early days I can't be sure if they stayed the same?

Edited by Graham456

• RMweb Gold

The pictures in GWR Goods Wagons all seem to show the square top axleboxes, but the GA drawing shows the heavy duty round top axleboxes. They are oil boxes, not grease though.

The Bachmann Crocodile bogies look to the of the right type, maybe you can get some as spares?

image.png.12c9956673e55e50b0b46a27208f80d8.png

• Thanks 1

Thank you I now have this wagon up and running on bogies with the right axelboxs,

i have painted her gray and am applying the livery.......

but would these wagons have the G W and running number on the ends ? Suspect so as other vans did at the time,unless any one tells we otherwise I am going to apply some on the ends ....you have a few days until the varnish goes on top !

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2020 at 18:21, Graham456 said:

Thank you I now have this wagon up and running on bogies with the right axelboxs,

i have painted her gray and am applying the livery.......

but would these wagons have the G W and running number on the ends ? Suspect so as other vans did at the time,unless any one tells we otherwise I am going to apply some on the ends ....you have a few days until the varnish goes on top !

It depends on what time frame you are modelling. I don't think they ever carried the GW on the ends (pics in Atkins et al show blank ends). There may be a possibility that they carried running numbers on the ends if built prior to 1929, but I've seen no pics to confirm.

6 hours ago, 57xx said:

It depends on what time frame you are modelling. I don't think they ever carried the GW on the ends (pics in Atkins et al show blank ends). There may be a possibility that they carried running numbers on the ends if built prior to 1929, but I've seen no pics to confirm.

Well they were built 1911 . Apart from the early two which had no vac brakes so don't count in this case as the one I built has vac brakes, now I model loosely pre grouping, I say loosely due to a castle or few other transgressions of this rule that I couldn't resist.

i to haven't seen any end pictures with G W but then all the pictures I have seen are late in their lives   I am just going on the normal 10t vans livery of the time

Thank fully we have a few more days before the varnish goes on due to home improvements ! That need doing

Edited by Graham456

• 2 months later...
On 30/06/2020 at 08:23, Graham456 said:

Sat at home with know one yet able to stay at my B&B I am getting on with another of the stash of Hobbytime mink F kits

Haveing sorted out with advise on here nearly four years ago how to stick ally,for the last one I built, the body has been no trouble, But this time Haveing read more on the web when we couldn't go out, I am thinking of useing different bogies on this kit as the ones in my resource books pictures have the square axelbox covers rather than the round topped ones that come with the kits bogies,

any recomdations  as which ones to go for ? I have Ratio, Cambrian versions but none have the square box covers the only thing found on the web is to use the Hobbytime bogies under the 40t bogie coal wagons but not what to use under the mink F that youhave robbed them from?

Try Rumney models http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/freight-bogies

12 hours ago, Graham456 said:

Thanks But !

sadly I finished this kit off a few months ago! So all though their is the right one there unless I revisit the wagon your frustratingly to late. nice spot though

Ha! That is just the beginning - we are planning an etched kit for the Mink F in homage to the Hobbytime ‘advert’ so iconic of the ‘70s model railway press.

17 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

Ha! That is just the beginning - we are planning an etched kit for the Mink F in homage to the Hobbytime ‘advert’ so iconic of the ‘70s model railway press.

Thanks for Such good news ? (Sarcasm) I still have one more hobby time kit in the stash and now your hinting their all obsolete Awaiting replacement with new and improved, not hard, the Hobbytime is a bit of its time .i wasn't going to built  this last one but keep it a a souvenir of times past, perhaps your hinting that is even more likely to happen

looking at the bogie alone shows how improved a new kit could be

• 2 years later...