Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Great Northern Railway (Ireland): No 171?

Hi All

I have several photos of Irish railways bought  at my local  auction.

Most I can identify (or have identified with the help of rmweb members).

There are two or three of the blue GRN(I) S class 4-4-0 No 171 "Slieve Gullion"

Then there are the two shown here.

Both are blue and, I think, the right outline for the S class, but

1. I'm almost (but only almost) sure that photo 20 is No 171. Photo dated 3 April 1969.
  2. Photo 19 looks like the S  class - but the  tender seems wrong.  All the pictures I've seen of No 171 show the tender cut back at an angle at  front and rear.  This tender hasd a straight  front and the rear cut out is longer.  Photo dated 31 May 1975

Any ideas / confirmations?

unknown 19.jpg

unknown 20.jpg

I think (and may be wrong, but bear with me) that when Merlin was preserved (at cultra) it had no tender, that had already been scrapped. Merlin is currently on loan to the RPSI and the tender running with it is owned by the RPSI. Is it safe to assume that prior to Merlin arriving on long term loan they had 171 and two tenders? Therefore it could just be 171 running with each of the two.

When they first got 131 running it had with a blue tender for a while (until they finished it's new one I presume).

This is 131 on the plinth in dundalk (no idea what number tender it is):

bpickup_131dundalk2.jpg

This is the new build tender for 131 (on an original underframe)

20161029_131_wdx-1.jpg

So that'd give at least one spare tender?

I can imagine that as bigger locos were withdrawn their old tenders might well be cascaded down to others to give greater range or replace knackered tenders. I think I'd heard somewhere that a VS tender had survived, maybe that's the one.