Dapol to launch new & revised 156s

Stu from EGDL

• 2 months later...
On 13/11/2023 at 17:27, jbqfc said:

I have just had an Email to say the replacement Strathclyde 156 body's are now in stock 

John   

Hi John,

Well, that is some good news at last. I shall wait patiently for my email. I have 4 sets (8 body shells) to swap over so keen to get hold of them soon!

Later,

Stu from NRSW

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The glazing is IIRC a clip fit and has to come to extract chassis, in theory easy enough to refit.  The fun thing is the inter car corridor connection moulding that has a hair spring with it!  I would take care with extracting the head lamp lightguides, I broke mine when making a royal mail unit!

Robert    

• Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang,

After the prompt of a quick email to the Dapol sales address, I am pleased to say that I have now received the replacement 156 bodies. Will be a few days before I can clear the workbench enough to concentrate on the delicate task of changing all the fiddly bits over. 
I may take the opportunity to re-decal a couple with SPT logos and ScotRail ‘whooshes’ along with a re-number before I assemble them all back together.

Thanks to Adam and Rob at Dapol for sorting me out.

Regards,

Stu from NRSW

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gang,

Done two sets of the Strathclyde body swaps. All 4 cars are back together and seem to be running ok with all lights still intact. It is not a job for the faint hearted as some of the items, pick up wires especially, are a tight fit and you need to be careful not to bend the retaining lugs on the floor of the body. The light guides are incredible fiddly to re-fit but achievable. Getting the gangway, complete with hair spring back in place resulted in rescuing it from the floor a couple of times, but nevertheless, it got easier with practice. No real differences in technique between motor car and trailer, except that the seating on the trailer needs to be ‘encouraged’ forward to reseat correctly.

The opportunity was also taken to remove excessive grease from the drive train.

I’ll do the other two pairs once I have removed the decals ready for renumbering and rebranding as SPT with the whoosh once I find the correct decals.

Anyone else done theirs yet??

Later,

Stu from NRSW.

On 10/12/2023 at 14:11, Stu from EGDL said:

Hi Gang,

Done two sets of the Strathclyde body swaps. All 4 cars are back together and seem to be running ok with all lights still intact. It is not a job for the faint hearted as some of the items, pick up wires especially, are a tight fit and you need to be careful not to bend the retaining lugs on the floor of the body. The light guides are incredible fiddly to re-fit but achievable. Getting the gangway, complete with hair spring back in place resulted in rescuing it from the floor a couple of times, but nevertheless, it got easier with practice. No real differences in technique between motor car and trailer, except that the seating on the trailer needs to be ‘encouraged’ forward to reseat correctly.

The opportunity was also taken to remove excessive grease from the drive train.

I’ll do the other two pairs once I have removed the decals ready for renumbering and rebranding as SPT with the whoosh once I find the correct decals.

Anyone else done theirs yet??

Later,

Stu from NRSW.

Started mine. Tried pushing lights out with cocktail stick. Stuck in so tight that the cocktail stick just crushed itself inwards and no lights pushed out. In the end got frustrated and teased the inside with a screwdriver gently and one side of the light unit broke off and a red light snapped also. Also the body and the pick up wires are very tight and so far won't fit. All in all pretty frustrated. Put it down now to renumber  a 26 which is far more simple!!

18 hours ago, JBM37404 said:

Started mine. Tried pushing lights out with cocktail stick. Stuck in so tight that the cocktail stick just crushed itself inwards and no lights pushed out. In the end got frustrated and teased the inside with a screwdriver gently and one side of the light unit broke off and a red light snapped also. Also the body and the pick up wires are very tight and so far won't fit. All in all pretty frustrated. Put it down now to renumber  a 26 which is far more simple!!

2nd car went better, lights came out with  cocktail stick. All back together and working again.

• Agree 1

Well, this is not going well. Started with trailer car and it stripped down not too bad, but no matter what I try, it won’t go back together. It’s going back in the tray and I’ll have another go when I have a bit more patience. 

It’s no wonder I don’t bother much with N gauge these days. Maybe I just don’t have the patience anymore. 

IMG_0502.jpeg

Hi Glencoe;

Admittedly, they are a bit of a pig to re-assemble but a bit of perseverance and occasionally having 3 hands helps. It looks like you have cut the chassis wiring and separated all the parts. It can be managed without removing the wires and requires the baseplate and seating to be turned and teased around the body. It may be that you might have sacrificed lighting as the wires are excruciatingly short already and may not be suitable for re-soldering.

If you need some assistance in re-assembling, then DM me and I may be able to offer some assistance.

Regards;

STU from NRSW

Edited by Stu from EGDL
  • Thanks 1

Unmotorised car done...

Haven't had a chance to test it, but there were a lot of wires getting squished by the body clips.

Hardest bit was getting the light guides back in.

Spare exhausts would have been nice, as I have no idea how I got it off without breaking it...