Broad Gauge on a Budget in 4mm

The tender is taking shape after 7 hours work and 3 failed designs. Since I don’t now the exact design of broad gauge tender used, I decided to make the one behind Iron Duke, because personally I think the one Firefly carries is to small for optimal proportioning. The tender frame is actually level, contrary to what the photo will tell you. Buffers have also been fitted, and so has one member of the footplate crew. The other is just leaning against the backhead plate, not a grand idea, but you do you, buckaroo... 

BF13B5AC-8121-443A-B561-33CF12BD90F7.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
Lacking in humor
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Yes

Hi there, as it was Shapeways, did you take a photo of it before you put it together? When I used Shapeways in the past, on the few occasions there was an issue, I sent them an email with photos stating the problem, and they gave me my money back.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The usual thing with Shapeways if a print is faulty is that they will replace it for free or else offer a refund.  I haven't purchased anything from them for ages and I wouldn't want to since their prices are shocking now, but I don't think their policy on faulty prints has changed.

Edit:  A book worth looking for is '19th Century Railway Drawings in 4mm Scale' by Alan Prior.  It's been out of print for ages, but second hand copies aren't too hard to find.  There's a good few Broad Gauge drawings covered in the book including the tender for a Gooch 0-6-0 Goods Engine.  I got my copy at a reasonable price, but some vendors seem to think they are selling a rare gold leaf edition and ask stupid prices for it.

Edited by Annie
More information
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

A semblance of a GWR Gooch tender is very close to completion now. Next up is brake gear for it, which should be easy thanks to the drawing @Annie sent me. The fireman is now no longer leaning against the backhead. The lining is rather wrong, but I don’t really care. And the finish on the wood could be better, but oh well. 

417F7EA2-7119-4E8C-A74D-2536EBE78EA3.jpeg

BC6CC483-8DA0-4420-A4B7-C3D219382C2C.jpeg

796B1F9D-B245-47F3-A354-6857F20AA85C.jpeg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For any of those wondering what has happened to this project, well its now on permanent hold. Mainly because the temptation of coarse scale O gauge proved to great, and i've moved on to that, a link to my layout is in my signature should you wish to have a look. As for the BG, everything's still as it was in july, the main delay being the finding of a suitable motor for the engine. I'm not sure what I should do with the layout, as I really haven't got the space for it, so it may go in the trash but that seems unlikely, the engine will certainly be staying though.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip...  as I really haven't got the space for it, so it may go in the trash but that seems unlikely ...snip...

Please do not do something that you WILL regret later on!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4