Sign in to follow this  
Cofga

Teign Valley line operations

I think I have settled on basing my layout on the GWR Teign Valley Line in the mid-late 1930s. Is there anywhere I might find operating schedules for that time period? Of the currently available crop of books on GWR lines in Devon do any provide particular details on this line?

An interesting book is 'The Heathfield to Exeter (Teign Valley) Railway' by Lawrence Pomroy. ARK Publications.

It includes some timetables from different decades though the 1931 is a passenger only timetable.

The 1924 and 1948 timetables show passenger and freight workings.

There are extracts from the Sectional Appendix giving local instructions, and a list of loco classes that worked the line, as well as details of passenger and freight stock.

In the heyday of the line it must have been interesting, with more mineral traffic than passenger,

cheers 

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Agree 1

"The Great Western in South Devon" by Keith Beck & John Copsey (Wild Swan Publications) has a section about the Teign Valley line, including photos of various stations on the line and locos/stock in use.