This sub-forum is for the 2019 series and any individual entry topics. Content from the 2018 series can be found in the Challenges Archive.

Should I assume from the lack of recruitment on this forum that there will be no series 3 of GMRC later this year? Given it would have been filming at the moment, it looks like the next series will have to wait until the autumn of 2021.

• RMweb Gold

In view of a number of "Corona" related restrictions ("non essential" travel - significant sized groups of people not from the same household - "social distancing" - and possibly others I haven't thought of), I think we can safely assume that filming for any series this year would difinitely have been off the agenda.

Of course, this would be unlikely to preclude programmes assembled from previously unseen footage ("behind the scenes" - background on the teams or how they built their creations - "outtakes" - or similar stuff) but I can't see any production company having been allowed to film any new competitive layout building for most of this year.

As far as I'm concerned, 2020 can probably be regarded as a "write-off" in this regard.

I can only hope that there's a return next year - regardless of who would feature in any future series.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it is safe to say that the lack of recruitment (that would have commenced when Series 2 was shown before the current pandemic crisis) indicates that someone needs to pitch a new programme idea to keep railway modelling on prime time television.

Since four in a bed has been consistently popular for over a decade, how about we get four model railway clubs, and send a delegation of modellers from each club to try out the other clubs. We can call it 'Four in the Club' as a nice click-bait style title. There will be plenty of tea drinking, swearing, and sulking to to keep the general viewers happy, and we might get to see an awful lot of layouts at a very early stage of construction.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Really.

Mike.

I did hear tell that they might want volunteers for a late night, after watershed version incorporating "offensive language and scenes of violence against innocent toolkit and model railway equipment".

You have to a dead cert for that.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Really.

Mike.

Yeah it got lost in a sea of dinosaurs , tar pits and invading Martians .

i understand that while this may not return, not this year, there could shortly be something of Model Railway interest on the telly .