Deltic fuel consumption

Stevebr

54 minutes ago, Stevebr said:

I’m not sure why the Deltic fuel capacity was reduced to 800 (or 830) gallons after fitting with eth and or dual braking. Was this to minimize the extra weight. Given the tanks were in the belly it couldn’t have been for space?

As I stated earlier in this thread, it was so the water tank capacity could be increased, and the space was needed for that.

14 hours ago, stovepipe said:

I can remember some reports of Deltics getting short of fuel during the Penmanshiel tunnel collapse, which involved diversion via Carlisle and the WCML to Edinburgh.

Significantly longer though than via the main line, in terms of both distance and running time.

Newcastle - Carlisle was 60 miles without getting any further north, and could take about the same time as direct to Edinburgh.

Then there was both Beattock and Cobbinshaw to get over. Don't underestimate Carstairs -Edinburgh, even the 91s knew Cobbinshaw's uphill.

• Like 1

One factor that wasn't usually appreciated that had an effect on fuel consumption was the steam heat boiler, as its fuel supply was taken from the main tank. the boiler could drink a fair amount of fuel in heating 12 coach sleeper train, especially if the train wasn't particularly steam tight.

Paul J.

• Agree 1