Hornby - Signal Box Announcement 1st July 2020

MGR Hooper!

Hornby - Signal Box Announcement 1st July 2020

Have have just announced via their YouTube series "Signal Box" that they'll be producing an L&MR 3rd Class Open Coach. The product code is R40141. They are priced at £16.99 and are available to pre-order right now from the Hornby website. It is limited to 1000 pieces only.

To pre-order, click here - https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/l-mr-open-third-class-carriage-era-1.html

Additional details in a bumper edition of TES here - https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/expanding-stephensons-rocket

PS: Where's the Hornby bashers? I wonder how long it'll be before people start finding faults in the announcement and putting forth their theories

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Agree 1

I like how Hornby make it clear that the model was researched, designed and tooled at the same time as the Hornby centenary Rocket.

They clearly don't want people thinking they've only now just decided to do it after seeing Rails' announcement a few days ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Yep......:banghead:        :D

I'm no expert but according to Hornby the open coaches started out as second class, and were then downgraded to third with a new enclosed coaches built for second class.

• Agree 1

Almost every time I see a Hornby article showing, supposedly, how they measured up a real loco/coach/wagon I CRINGE when the photos show the awful way the levelling staff ("measuring stick") is held.  Almost every time it is not held vertical, or level, but at an angle (sometimes at quite a large angle) thus totally invalidating any measurement thus taken.

Please will Hornby teach their surveyors how to use the staff, and teach their photographer to snap the shot ONLY when the staff is properly aligned.

Try to be professional.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, scottrains29 said:

I like how Hornby make it clear that the model was researched, designed and tooled at the same time as the Hornby centenary Rocket.

They clearly don't want people thinking they've only now just decided to do it after seeing Rails' announcement a few days ago.

Oh dear, not this again!

It's funny that you think all this can be organised in just a few days. The announcement was being planned for quite a while. If you paid more attention to Hornby's social media platforms you'd have a better idea.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

4 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

They've already shown pictures of a pre-production sample, and said the production ones will be here in September, only 2 months away.

• Agree 1

According to Hornbys "Engine Shed" article, they started out as 2nds and were demoted to 3rds when new 2nd stock was introduced, and in line with the introduction of 3rd class on other railways in the late 1830s.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, phil gollin said:

Almost every time I see a Hornby article showing, supposedly, how they measured up a real loco/coach/wagon I CRINGE when the photos show the awful way the levelling staff ("measuring stick") is held.  Almost every time it is not held vertical, or level, but at an angle (sometimes at quite a large angle) thus totally invalidating any measurement thus taken.

Please will Hornby teach their surveyors how to use the staff, and teach their photographer to snap the shot ONLY when the staff is properly aligned.

Try to be professional.

I suspect the bit I've put in bold is the problem. The person holding up the stick may not even be the one who does the measurements.

Last year I came to work and found a nice poster up showing someone studiously making some measurements in a lab.

They were actually "measuring" something I was responsible for, but the person photographed had nothing to do with the project and as for what they were actually supposed to be doing...?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Oh dear, not this again!

It's funny that you think all this can be organised in just a few days. The announcement was being planned for quite a while. If you paid more attention to Hornby's social media platforms you'd have a better idea.

Oh dear, That's not what I meant at all. I do pay attention to social media etc. I'm sure a lot of people suspected they'd produce it at the time they announced the rocket. Yes, I do realise these announcements take time etc to plan. I simply meant Hornby felt the need to state the fact the model was already well underway.

• Friendly/supportive 3

5 minutes ago, scottrains29 said:

I simply meant Hornby felt the need to state the fact the model was already well underway.

Which it is a shame they feel they way TBH, but best to be clear on it given what has happened before. If they have a painted sample and Rails had CAD then it's obvious who was ahead of who in everything other than announcement really!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

To be honest, Hornbys are £16, Rails one was £40. Which one would sell in all honesty, if a number is the only difference. 

Anyone else surprised at that price?

Even allowing for a possible desire to undercut Rails? 

Edited to add: Just seen the Rails announcement myself, including the comment "the incredible low RRP".

(I don't think in the original announcement they explicitly said it was 3-d printed, though I think the material they were using suggested that it was).

Edited by Coryton

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I'm no expert but according to Hornby the open coaches started out as second class, and were then downgraded to third with a new enclosed coaches built for second class.

Not many experts from back then alive at the present time :D

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Not many experts from back then alive at the present time :D

No.....but I don't think you'd have to look very far to find someone alive who knows more about it than me....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Coryton said:

Anyone else surprised at that price?

Even allowing for a possible desire to undercut Rails? 

That's probably a 'high' volume injection moulded price versus a low volume 3D printed price.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Coryton said:

I suspect the bit I've put in bold is the problem. The person holding up the stick may not even be the one who does the measurements.

Last year I came to work and found a nice poster up showing someone studiously making some measurements in a lab.

They were actually "measuring" something I was responsible for, but the person photographed had nothing to do with the project and as for what they were actually supposed to be doing...?

You obviously didn’t meet the commercially acceptable appearance grade......:lol:

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1