Hornby - Signal Box Announcement 1st July 2020

MGR Hooper!

41 minutes ago, Legend said:

Of course they were maybe going to announce a TPE 802 or range of Mk4s but decided to go with Limited Edition of 1000 L&MR trucks instead .....nah I don't think so.

No I don't think plans will have changed either. Although this so called "social media takeover" does seem a bit slow. One would think if they are doing a load of things that it would be thick and fast (one announcement a day or something) given the "social media takeover" would depend on building and maintaining activity and excitement, not letting things die out before doing another.

Having said that this particular announcement has certainly caused a lot of talking.

Maybe the Rails one was all a set up to get people talking? (I don't actually think that just playing devil's advocate)

• RMweb Premium

I haven't the vaguest notion what "social media takeover " means .  But I'm thinking it might be some sort of virtual exhibition rather than new announcements . But what do I know?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, scumcat said:

I personally think lion and these coaches would have been for 2021 but rails have forced their hand.

Not if theyve been tooled, sampled and due here in 8 weeks, 6 of those being on a boat... of course Hornbys dates have been known to slip, not that i’m cynically suggesting anything.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Legend said:

I haven't the vaguest notion what "social media takeover " means .  But I'm thinking it might be some sort of virtual exhibition rather than new announcements . But what do I know?

Either way it started on Wednesday and I have seen nowt since!

• Funny 2

I also have no idea...

Hornby hasn't taken over my social media! :)

Hi hum.....

Maybe they have tried hacking RMweb? 

There seems to have been some kind of outage over night?

Or was that also just for me? ;)

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

There seems to have been some kind of outage over night?

Or was that also just for me? ;)

Your not alone.....early this morning also.

• Thanks 1

Out in the wilds of Gogledd Cymru, the internet can be a bit dodgy at the best of times...

So, usually, if there are problems like, it's usually this end!

;)

Diolch Andy and team... :)

Edited by Sarahagain
typo

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Your not alone.....early this morning also.

According to their Facebook page, Andy said they had to reboot the entire system. Took around 4-5 hours I think. 

• Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Mel_H said:

Having now carefully read Hornby’s post on its Engine Shed blog, I have no doubt that Lion is on its way. I think the clue is there if you look !

It's an open goal with all the anniversaries due over the next few years. I expected it rather than Rocket to be honest. They've also been doing quite a few movie tie ins across the range recently (Airfix, Corgi and Scalextric).

While they are at it a new 14XX would be nice as well....

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well, how about this - Planet’ as a possibility. If ‘planet’, ‘Lion’ or Sans Pareil (which is just too ridiculous an idea to suggest seriously) were to come along then I’d be highly highly tempted

Edited by Edge
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lantavian said:

But isn't Nepal building new railways in standard gauge so it can connect to the Chinese system :(

Not sure of that, Nepal for many years has had an NG rail connection with India. A couple of years ago the Indian Govt closed that lines for gauge conversion to BG. Though with the current tensions between India and China/Nepal, who knows what may happen.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Edge said:

Well, how about this - Planet’ as a possibility. If ‘planet’, ‘Lion’ or Sans Pareil (which is just too ridiculous an idea to suggest seriously) were to come along then I’d be highly highly tempted

Sans Pareil is in no way ridiculous. Please explain.  I'm not looking for a jousting session, just curious.

Cheers,

Ian.

1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

Sans Pareil is in no way ridiculous. Please explain.  I'm not looking for a jousting session, just curious.

Cheers,

Ian.

I hope I'm wrong - I'd love to see it doen as a RTR model by Hornby. My feeling is that as it was  single loco, running along an extremely limited georgraphical area for an extremely limimted time. Now, you could get around that by including it on preserved railways etc, but i can't see a production run of 1000 models or so being bet on that one.

I also think that there would need to be a totally and utterly unique system for the connecting rods from the vertical cylinders which would be both complex, hard to make and extremely delicate if they possess anything like a prototypical appearance.

Those two things combined (limited appeal, engineering challenges) i think would strike out 'Sans Pareil' from consideration. As i've said, I would be happy to buy one should it be made, but I cannot see it happening unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Problem with period 1 railways, despite being a fascination, is there sufficient market for them?

Differing gauges were generally for political / tactical military reasons - not permitting the fast transport of military equipment during an invasion.

Al.

• Agree 1

If Hornby were to do another P1 loco, then Lion would be an obvious choice as apart from it being used with their L&M coaching stock, they could also introduce goods wagons.  However they might consider instead a Planet or a Patentee as they would also fit in with the coaches and have no visible motion work!

A Patentee might be a good bet as it would be nice to have a 2-2-2!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Edge said:

I hope I'm wrong - I'd love to see it doen as a RTR model by Hornby. My feeling is that as it was  single loco, running along an extremely limited georgraphical area for an extremely limimted time. Now, you could get around that by including it on preserved railways etc, but i can't see a production run of 1000 models or so being bet on that one.

I also think that there would need to be a totally and utterly unique system for the connecting rods from the vertical cylinders which would be both complex, hard to make and extremely delicate if they possess anything like a prototypical appearance.

Those two things combined (limited appeal, engineering challenges) i think would strike out 'Sans Pareil' from consideration. As i've said, I would be happy to buy one should it be made, but I cannot see it happening unfortunately.

Hmm, interesting. With regard to any period 1 locomotive then the cylinders & motion will all be dummy. Actually any model steam locomotive has dummy motion. I guess powering the wheels/axles is the sticking point, but I'd put the motor into the water cart/tender. I'd guess that to have any meaningful self power, then that might be where we're starting from. From a production perspective, then the water cart/tender is a good starting point, as from Penydarren forwards, they all carried them; they had to; it-they wouldn't work otherwise. 

Cheers,

Ian.

Ahh. But would it be Period 1* or 1970s/'80s onwards?

Any models of Sans Pareil, Novelty, Perseverance, Planet, Locomotion, etc would surely be based on the replicas.

Short lived? They've lasted longer than most of the LNER and LMS 4-6-2s did.

Would they sell more than 1000 when they have the anniversaries coming up? Easily.

Will it happen?  Doubtful.

*Daft phrase and totally meaningless IMO

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

It's an open goal with all the anniversaries due over the next few years.

Putting my pedant’s hat on: anniversaries can’t be due in future years.  All the anniversaries there are happen every year....

(Yes, I know you meant “round number anniversaries”! As well as my pedant’s hat, I’ll get my coat.)

Richard

• Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Hmm, interesting. With regard to any period 1 locomotive then the cylinders & motion will all be dummy. Actually any model steam locomotive has dummy motion. I guess powering the wheels/axles is the sticking point, but I'd put the motor into the water cart/tender. I'd guess that to have any meaningful self power, then that might be where we're starting from. From a production perspective, then the water cart/tender is a good starting point, as from Penydarren forwards, they all carried them; they had to; it-they wouldn't work otherwise. 

Cheers,

Ian.

My comments about the motion were simply that no RTR model with the authentic vertical cylinder motion from that era has ever been produced and making it functional , robust enough not to snap at the slightest provocation and aesthetically accurate would be essentially impossible, not that the motion should prototypically transmit motive power to the wheels

Edited by Edge

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Edge said:

My comments about the motion were simply that no RTR model with the authentic vertical cylinder motion from that era has ever been produced and making it both functional and aesthetically accurate would be essentially impossible, not that the motion should prototypically transmit motive power to the wheels

I understand your point. But, I will respectfully suggest that the rotational motion of the driving wheels (by whatever means) will operate the connecting rod & cylinders, whether  vertical, horizontal, or any angle. 

As per your thoughts about prototypical operation. I too, would like to see that!