Hornby - Signal Box Announcement 1st July 2020

MGR Hooper!

The main question is replicating "functioning" visible motion work that would be tiny at 4mm scale

Sans Pareil is doable, there's actually not much in the way of visible motion.

380780312_SansPareilReplica.jpeg.5fa0a5cd95836ab4074319aaf719badb.jpeg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sans_Pareil

Locomotion No 1 is a different kettle of fish!

550580076_LocomotionNo1.jpg.c98a0395c7c8a7cd2b06bdaeb0d9caf1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotion_No._1

Planet would be easier than either...

2061009143_Planetreplica.jpg.4f7ac4ffb30be5b6a4628fde562923cf.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_(locomotive)

Edited by Hroth
bits and bobs
  • Like 7

On 03/07/2020 at 23:05, Sarahagain said:

Russia?

Spain?

I do think that a lot of different countries have a different idea if what is "Standard Gauge".... ;)

It seems to be forgotten often that the UK has broad gauge too.

• Agree 2

The United Kingdom, UK, includes Northern Ireland, which is broad gauge...but that is the standard gauge on the island of Ireland...

Not to mention, narrow gauge railways...also in the UK...

Edited by Sarahagain
typo

34 minutes ago, Sarahagain said:

The United Kingdom, UK, includes Northern Ireland, which is broad gauge...but that is the standard gauge on the island of Ireland...

Not to mention, narrow gauge railways...also in the UK...

Going by the route mileage, 4' 8 1/2" is the "standard" gauge, but as the originator of the railways, its perfectly allowable for the UK to have a multitude of gauges, proving the feasibility of their application to varying situations!

Its a great place to model any kind of railway, the UK!

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 10:44, atom3624 said:

Problem with period 1 railways, despite being a fascination, is there sufficient market for them?

Differing gauges were generally for political / tactical military reasons - not permitting the fast transport of military equipment during an invasion.

Al.

I think period 1 railway models are a novelty more than anything else. While I have no doubt that there are a few people trying to recreate those early days, I doubt more than a fraction of those who bought Rocket did so with the intention of building a pioneering layout. Therefore, any company planning period 1 models should think in terms of what people find interesting rather than what is needed for a complete picture.

Lion is the obvious candidate - it's preserved, it has the Titfield Thunderbolt connection, it's participated in some major events. Locomotion would be appealing, but very hard if not impossible to recreate in 00 scale. I could see Sans Pareil, Novelty or Planet selling alongside Rocket, but not in their own right.

I actually do think period 1 goods stock might have appeal for "serious" modellers, given how long some of those primitive wagons survived in industry. Particularly with the popularity of small locos and micro-layouts.

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 10:43, Coryton said:

...Last year I came to work and found a nice poster up showing someone studiously making some measurements in a lab.

They were actually "measuring" something I was responsible for, but the person photographed had nothing to do with the project and as for what they were actually supposed to be doing...?

On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 11:13, boxbrownie said:

You obviously didn’t meet the commercially acceptable appearance grade...

Coming late to this, I laughed heartily, having seen the very same situation evolving. However, the hired models refused the job because of all the hazard information around the new and whizzy pieces of scientific instrumentation, so we hazard immune properly qualified scientific bods had to be used for the photo shoot. (Which was good because the workload was high and we had samples that urgently needed analysis for feed back to the engineering development team.) So the photo shoot was 'for real': the people who did the work shown actually doing it.

But of course nothing to do with 'commercially acceptable appearance grade': far more venial than that, Marketing./Advertising/Promotions budgets have to be spent. Do such things on the cheap and some accountant might realise that there's a saving to be had, and think where that could lead in terms of consequences to the four hour lunch lifestyle...

Anyhoo, back to models of early rolling stock...

What do we want? Chaldron wagons,

When do we want them? From 1825...

• RMweb Premium

I always used the bods who worked there regardless, of course if somebody was butt ugly I could always find a colleague who looked prettier or just took the piccy at an angle which showed more equipment and less flesh.

Our buyers wouldn’t ever buy in pretty people.....we were engineering after all.....every other person had a missing finger or stubble like double cut bastard file :D

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Watto1990 said:

Is anyone aware of these available to pre-order anywhere? I had a set of three ordered from A Popular South Yorkshire Retailer that seems to be about to be cancelled. 

The L&M coaches?

Try Hornby themselves. I did and if your order comes to over £50 then it's free P&P. Three of them is conveniently just over.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/l-mr-open-third-class-carriage-era-1.html

Jason

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

Why not just say Rails of Sheffield?

It seems to be an RMweb thing.

Renember when people said b*** p****** instead of Blue Pullman, not to mention various oblique references to E Bay, Paypal and Facebook?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

The L&M coaches?

Try Hornby themselves. I did and if your order comes to over £50 then it's free P&P. Three of them is conveniently just over.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/l-mr-open-third-class-carriage-era-1.html

Jason

Thank you for the helpful reply, I had thought Hornby had sold out weeks ago and didn’t think to check again. 

• Like 1

I mis read it as an LMS 3rd class open coach for £16....

The trouble with era 1 etc is things changed so rapidly compared to today when 40 year old stock is common and 60 year olds still around. I was reading that Patrick Stirling of the GNR reported to directors in the 1870s that only 12 locos were more than 13 years old, and no carriages more than 16.  Still good on Hornby to make L&M coaches  Contemporary paintings suggest long trains so we need 1st, 2nd. 3rd class coaches and coal trucks for the equivalent to BR standard fares where people could stand for hours unable to sit down.  How about a Planet or a Patentee or Bury locos and a full range of stock?  Or is that best left to the 3D printers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/07/2020 at 13:29, Edge said:

My comments about the motion were simply that no RTR model with the authentic vertical cylinder motion from that era has ever been produced and making it functional , robust enough not to snap at the slightest provocation and aesthetically accurate would be essentially impossible, not that the motion should prototypically transmit motive power to the wheels

Not entirely true- I have a HO model of Locomotion from "GB Loco series" - static but a half-sized copy of an O gauge ?Bachmann" version which i understand ran. The verical motion (fixed on HO) looks good

The Bachmann Locomotion was a static display model, even in the larger size....

It was a commemorative model...

Bachmann Branchline 175-2008 Pewter model (static) of Locomotive No. 1 by Robert Stephenson celebrating 175 years of Bachmann

30C2C392-628F-4598-9B69-EAF0290C390F.jpeg.4937e40da09abc984478342693b7311d.jpeg

https://www.hattons.co.uk/23464/bachmann_branchline_175_2008_pewter_model_static_of_locomotive_no_1_by_robert_stephenson_celebrating_175_year/stockdetail.aspx

The GBL version...

2B213A6A-A29B-440B-AAFD-5FFE091D42B1.jpeg.2a08e817f44c92cd6277867be44ea67e.jpeg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stockton-Darlington-Locomotion-No-1-Locomotive/dp/8373853766

The GBL collection...

http://greatbritishlocomotive.co.uk/_uk/?page_id=7

Edited by Sarahagain
More research...more added...
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/08/2020 at 20:51, Watto1990 said:

Thank you for the helpful reply, I had thought Hornby had sold out weeks ago and didn’t think to check again. 

Hornby has sold out of the L&MR open third now.  It is a bit silly limiting the numbers to 1,000 when the demand clearly exceeds that figure.

• Agree 3