Hornby - Signal Box Announcement 1st July 2020

MGR Hooper!

3 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

simple tape measure would be more accurate

I'd expect that it's so they can go and take loads of photos with staffs in place to work from pics easily, and then anything critical would be done by tape or laser etc.

When all's said and done 3 inches equates to 1mm on the model so I don't think measuring equipment accuracy is the issue, it's the amount of attention put into turning the measurements into a model and the right measurements being taken.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

35 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

Errrrr ......   No !

It is something that ANYONE who knows about surveying will laugh out loud at immediately, much like trying to brush a floor by holding a broom by its brush.  It is a joke.

If it worries you so much, drop a member of their development team a message and share your concerns, I'm sure they'll "improve" their posing next time. PM the gentleman who posted right before you, he'll sort his team out for the next blog so that the experts in surveying won't have to die of laughter.

Edited by MGR Hooper!
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I'd expect that it's so they can go and take loads of photos with staffs in place to work from pics easily, and then anything critical would be done by tape or laser etc.

When all's said and done 3 inches equates to 1mm on the model so I don't think measuring equipment accuracy is the issue, it's the amount of attention put into turning the measurements into a model and the right measurements being taken.

Woe betide Hornby if they were out by 1mm.   It would destroy the belief systems of some on RMWeb.

Cheers

Darius

• Funny 11

39 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

Woe betide Hornby if they were out by 1mm.   It would destroy the belief systems of some on RMWeb.

Cheers

Darius

Yes in fairness 1mm would be a noticeable error. The point was that if they can't measure the thing to within 3 inches they ought to pack up anyway. And if it's less than a mm error on the model I don't think that many people will be getting their pitchforks out.

• Funny 2

If you where travelling 3rd class in 1850 AD would it matter if the door was 3 mm narrow?

But then millimetres may not have been even been invented.

Any Hornby errors could be retro made to the original coach also.

Then are we not in the perfect world again.

Just order 3 (Am happy)...

Ho just asking - couplings ? on the model.

Edited by Peter Eaton
update

19 minutes ago, Peter Eaton said:

If you where travelling 3rd class in 1850 AD would it matter if the door was 3 mm narrow?

It's 3" (1mm @ 4mm scale), not 3mm. And whether or not that's significant for a door width probably depends on whether or not you're wearing a hooped dress. ;)

41 minutes ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

We now have 3 threads on Hornby re Rocket and one on Rails, geiting a bit confusing

There's one thread for Hornby's Stephenson's Rocket, one thread to cover the latest announcement which is the 3rd Class Open Coach and the last threat is the one for The Engine Shed where the latest edition discussed these models.

HTH with managing the threads?

5 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

The 2nd class coaches had benches and 3rd was standing room only apparently. So that is the only difference between the 2 from what I've read in other threads. 

as far as I know, at this period, the class system was based upon stagecoaches and primarily related to the speed at which the coaches were operated on the L&M - First class coaches were non-stop, second class had some intermediate stop, and third class was the ‘local’ service stopping everywhere. After a while, it was decided that having the trains stop everywhere and have different specifications of coach was more profitable. 

hence, I don’t think that there was actually a physical difference between second and third class L&M carriages at the start, at least

18 hours ago, Peter Eaton said:

But then millimetres may not have been even been invented.

Any Hornby errors could be retro made to the original coach also.

Then are we not in the perfect world again.

Just order 3 (Am happy)...

Ho just asking - couplings ? on the model.

Back then, metric measurements might have been considered dangerously French.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Lantavian said:

And yet the Victorians built many thousands of miles of railways in the British Empire to metre gauge.

I've never been able to work out why. One metre is three foot three and three-eighths inches. Why not just make the gauge three foot three inches?

Quite easy really.  One day, a man shows up, representing X government or country, wanting his railway built. In his bag is a big wad of cash....

"Certainly Sir, how wide would you like your track?"

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Lantavian said:

And yet the Victorians built many thousands of miles of railways in the British Empire to metre gauge.

I've never been able to work out why. One metre is three foot three and three-eighths inches. Why not just make the gauge three foot three inches?

Why not Cape Gauge (3' 6")? The meeting of metre gauge and Cape gauge is causing some head scratching in Africa now.

2 hours ago, CUCKOO LINE said:

Seems to be still available for pre-order everywhere apart from Rails.

I think RoS gave everyone who had their own version on pre-order a chance to order first. I ordered one from RoS just seconds after it was listed.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Edge said:

as far as I know, at this period, the class system was based upon stagecoaches and primarily related to the speed at which the coaches were operated on the L&M - First class coaches were non-stop, second class had some intermediate stop, and third class was the ‘local’ service stopping everywhere. After a while, it was decided that having the trains stop everywhere and have different specifications of coach was more profitable. 

hence, I don’t think that there was actually a physical difference between second and third class L&M carriages at the start, at least

Seconds had seats and later a rudimentary roof that curtains could be hung from.

I doubt they worked the same way as stage coaches worked. There was after all only two tracks and the line has changed very little in the last 190 years.

The second and third class trains probably worked at times nobody else wanted to travel. Still better than walking which is what most poorer people would have done previously. Worth remembering it's only 30 odd miles.

Jason

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

I think RoS gave everyone who had their own version on pre-order a chance to order first. I ordered one from RoS just seconds after it was listed.

Rails have now said they have sold out their pre order and are trying to secure more stock. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Lantavian said:

A fair point.

East African Railways' metre-gauge rolling stock, was, I heard, built to be easily convertible to 3'6".

Mind you, all the new railways in East Africa now are standard gauge.

I thought all new railways are built to 'standard' gauge. The 'Ghan' in Australia was re-built to standard. 

Edited by tomparryharry
Spellinge misteak.

On 01/07/2020 at 11:08, Coryton said:

Anyone else surprised at that price?

Even allowing for a possible desire to undercut Rails? 

Edited to add: Just seen the Rails announcement myself, including the comment "the incredible low RRP".

(I don't think in the original announcement they explicitly said it was 3-d printed, though I think the material they were using suggested that it was).

Given that it’s essentially only a 4-wheel wagon, I thought Rail’s comment was a little snide. 

• Agree 2

On 01/07/2020 at 12:22, Legend said:

Exactly !   Hornby will be making money on those . Its just a different manufacturing method . It does kind of hint at more to come . Given the success of Rocket I wonder if Lion will be next . Certainly seemed to be a lot of people asking for it in Jennys Monday Club . And , of course , there is the tie in with the Titfield Thunderbolt.

I feel sorry for Rails . They had a great idea  , but unfortunately Hornby are ahead of them . They have handled it very well though and I hope they can go onto develop their 3D printing in another way .  As other have pointed out , could they announce a range of Mk4 coaches..............................

Having now carefully read Hornby’s post on its Engine Shed blog, I have no doubt that Lion is on its way. I think the clue is there if you look !

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, scumcat said:

I personally think lion and these coaches would have been for 2021 but rails have forced their hand.

I think there is a danger you can read to much into things . Coincidences in life do happen .   We did know that Hornby were making an announcement on 1st July , I think for at least a week before , which predated Rails announcement .  Of course they were maybe going to announce a TPE 802 or range of Mk4s but decided to go with Limited Edition of 1000 L&MR trucks instead .....nah I don't think so.

• Agree 4