UK equivalent glue?

• RMweb Gold

This tiny 20g bottle of glue was included in a German wooden kit. I need more and I'm looking for a UK equivalent?

Grundpreis-650-%E2%82%AC-100-g-Ponal.jpg

"Ponal Express" appears to be a generic name for several different glues. This one is labelled PN51X, looks like white PVA, but smells like silicone bath sealant. It needs to be waterproof.

Googling PN51X hasn't got me anywhere.

Thanks for any help,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

"Ponal Express" appears to be a generic name for several different glues. This one is labelled PN51X, looks like white PVA, but smells like silicone bath sealant. It needs to be waterproof.

Ponal is a brand name belonging to Henkel. Ponal Express is a quick setting PVA glue. I use use it often but it isn't waterproof.

David

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I've built a number of Lcut and Scalescenes kits and used PVA.  Lcut is not wood but some kind of laminate akin to card.  I don't see the need for waterproof though. 

John

Edited by brossard
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Thanks for replies. It must be waterproof. I think it might be this:

or this:

cheers,

Martin.

Aliphatic resin is carpenters glue as mentioned by Brossard

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Martin.

If I recall correctly, Evostik also do a waterproof version of their Resin W PVA glue. I think that it comes in a dark blue bottle.

Ray

Not sure if it’s an issue For the OP application but every time I’ve used this, it doesn’t dry clear leaving a white bloom.

• RMweb Premium

Having checked the Henkel and Ponal websites (Henkel.de and Ponal.de), there is no real information available and technical data sheets take you to blank pages.  It is a PVA glue (they describe it as PVAc) and has been around since the 1970s.  I sense that the product is being withdrawn or re-marketed.  I find no evidence for the PN51X  

Amazon.de have various Ponal adhesives but not as far as I can see the P51X.  They do have the P15S waterproof glue though.

https://www.amazon.de/Ponal-PN15S-Holzleim-Wasserfest-120/dp/B0000WPLEI/ref=bbp_recs_dp_dt_3/261-5717685-7427104?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0000WPLEI&pd_rd_r=4d4b8f2b-ebc2-4193-810c-d4eacd1d03ca&pd_rd_w=mk8Zq&pd_rd_wg=rAYp0&pf_rd_p=68208731-dfa4-4184-b0dc-944f6ace005c&pf_rd_r=47K2SZ2VY1GQYSKBTM9V&psc=1&refRID=47K2SZ2VY1GQYSKBTM9V

Ebay is also no help but does have PN15X 

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Ponal+Express+PN15X&_sacat=0

• Like 1

15 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Thanks. It's for outdoor use.

cheers,

Martin.

Have you a model boat shop near you, I would think they would be able to help, if not phone one up and buy something mail order

If you are struggling there was a model boat and aircraft shop in Maldon happy to pop in and ask, think it opens Friday, Saturday & Monday

http://www.colinblissmodels.co.uk/

• Like 1

You should be able to find exterior wood glue in any DIY store  which should suffice for your purposes.  I assume that you will be painting whatever you are making, which should help with waterproofing.

Regards

Roddy 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping someone would recognise the bottle.

The glue came with a German wooden radio control boat kit. However, the quantity supplied (20g) is ludicrously inadequate for the size of the boat. I would like to get some more of the same.

The label says it is Ponal Express 5-Minute Waterproof Wood Adhesive Type PN51X.

I have contacted model boat suppliers without success. They suggest the usual PVA, Aliphatic or Cyano options. Googling PN51X gets me nowhere.

It looks like a thinnish white PVA adhesive, but it can't be simply that because it has a strong acetic acid smell. I don't think it is ordinary aliphatic wood glue because it is pure white, not yellowy, and sets much faster than aliphatic, and not as hard. It is slightly rubbery.

My suspicion is that it is in fact silicone bath sealant, re-formulated for use as an adhesive.

If I can't get more I will probably use aliphatic, which is described as "waterproof", but the instructions do say "not for submersion or use below the waterline".

Failing which it will be back to the old standby, Araldite epoxy.

Thanks again.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne

Blue Evostik wood glue is fine for that strange board used in laser kits, and it’s weatherproof qualities are pretty good too.

It became my standard glue when I built a lot of garden railway rolling stock and a few buildings, and I’ve continued to use it since both for modelling and DIY, because it has a faster grab than the green-bottle type.

Aliphatic is better if you want to sand or drill after glueing, And is better for tiny components, but I’m less sure about it’s weatherproofness.

• Like 1

I've been using Gorilla Wood Glue for my laser cut buildings. Load it into a syringe for application. Fairly quick grab time and waterproof.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, steve W said:

I have always used Titebond Alphatic wood glue for general use, beats Evostick PVA. They do a watertight version (Titebond Ultimate III ) which would be my go-to.

Link here to UK supplier (not used this one) but has description of the product as a guide.

https://www.yandles.co.uk/titebond-iii-ultimate-wood-glue/p4108

I always use Titebond too - it is fantastic. Axminster Tools used to stock it. 

Roy

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just returning to this topic to say I have found this:

2b7960ac6cb4f21c7f76e48edafd38c0.jpg

It is very similar to the Ponal adhesive. But more importantly for an intricate wood kit, it comes with a small precision applicator nozzle, unlike most wood glues.

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1