Insulated breaks on continuous loop

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

I can't really believe I am asking this,  but I just can't get my head around it.

After a lifetime of out and back layouts, my next one is a continuous loop.

Handbuilt track, with servos for turnout operation with relays to switch polarity.

If I have continuous circle with a set of points,  and the points are set for the branch, then the main line beyond the points has both rails the same polarity. As it's a circle of track then that will cause a short circuit. So do I need an insulated rail joint somewhere in the circle to prevent it, or is my brain just confused?

Thanks!

As above. Insulated joiners on the end of each frog part. I always do this then re-feed because smaller sections are much easier to troubleshoot & are less likely to be problematic in the first place.

The way you've described your pointwork, it does electrically behave like an 'Electofrog' point.

Depending on where you place rail gaps in your points

1 Gaps beyond the frog, no extra IRJs (Insulated rail Joiner) required

2 Gaps before the frog with Stock & switch rails bonded, 1 IRJ required

3 No gaps, 1 IRJ required

4 Gaps before & After the frog with Stock & switch rails bonded. No extra IRJs required

1 & 4 Siding beyond point require a feed to the red rail

2 & 3 Siding beyond the point will have both rails the same polarity when the point is set for the main line (loco won't move until point is set to siding)

My preferred option is 4

1329234722_handmadepoints.png.c752795314279abbf075f822d9d58bd1.png

John