Jump to content

Troublesome class 110 Hornby China DMU


Recommended Posts

I have a China-made Hornby class 110 with the ring field motor. It runs ok forwards and backwards in a straight line. However, when running forwards it will not go round a left hand bend at all without stuttering and stopping. This has to be some sort of electrical interruption but I’ll be damned if I can identify it! Any ideas? The bogie pivots on all the 110s I have had have always been stiff and unwieldy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most likely either filth on the wheel sets, pick up wipers not fully maintaining contact with wheelbacks, and/or a poor connection between the pick ups and the motor. Once confident that the wheelsets are clean and pick up wipers are adjusted to maintain permanent contact, if the problem persists then it is the wiring.

 

I rarely 'diagnose' for this problem: it's a waste of time as you end up replacing the wiring anyway. Best just to rip it all out and solder in new wire from pick ups to motor terminals if this is DC operation, or for DCC interpose the decoder: red and black soldered to pick ups, orange and grey to motor terminals.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I just took it back to the shop, put some more money in and came away with a Bachmann DMU instead!
 

Solved the running problem no end!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

It's a bit late for you now, but for anyone else having problems, I replaced the wheels on mine with a set of newer Hornby wheels (12mm plain disc I think), which improved the pick up and running of the trailer vehicles. The originals were the version with metal tyres on a plastic centre, the new ones are sold in packs of 10 which is ideal for the five non-powered bogies on a 110. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 21/08/2020 at 00:42, JDW said:

It's a bit late for you now, but for anyone else having problems, I replaced the wheels on mine with a set of newer Hornby wheels (12mm plain disc I think), which improved the pick up and running of the trailer vehicles. The originals were the version with metal tyres on a plastic centre, the new ones are sold in packs of 10 which is ideal for the five non-powered bogies on a 110. 

Such Hornby wheels did you use?  I don't think Hornby did 12mm wheels as spares. They do 14mm coach and 12.5mm wagon wheels.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Such Hornby wheels did you use?  I don't think Hornby did 12mm wheels as spares. They do 14mm coach and 12.5mm wagon wheels.

 

At this distance in time, I have no idea, I happened to have them in stock, they were as near as made no difference the same diameter as the ones fitted, plain discs, so probably the 12.5mm ones

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting because I got rid of mine.  I just couldn't make it run properly let alone start at a remote location where the hand of god could not reach.  I put new pick-up,s extra pick-ups, serviced the motor and in the end concluded the motor itself had to be defective.  Replaced with a Bachmann unit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a project done which was described on rmweb a few years ago where a class 110 was upgraded with a chassis from a Bachmann class 108 which was modified to fit the 110 body.

 

The result was a 3 coach unit which performed much better than with its original drive unit.

 

I myself have upgraded my 110 with the original motors stripped of all the original internal parts and fitted with cd drawer motors.  All the gear cogs and wheels were kept on the motors.

 

I have had them in 8 coach formation with 1 unit powered and even with the other unit unpowered, 1 motor could easily move 8 coaches.

 

My hybrid 7 coach unit ( 2 driving coaches + 5 trailers ) has 2 cd motors in the 4th coach and runs very well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure I can recall reading somewhere that the 110 units were "different" to other units, in that the engines faced inboard rather than outward (or something similar). This would have been in the early days of the Hornby model, concerning a possible conversion to a 104 set. If so, then the replacement of the chassis with a differnt make would make the model incorrect.

 

Stewart

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

I'm sure I can recall reading somewhere that the 110 units were "different" to other units, in that the engines faced inboard rather than outward (or something similar). This would have been in the early days of the Hornby model, concerning a possible conversion to a 104 set. If so, then the replacement of the chassis with a differnt make would make the model incorrect.

 

Stewart

Yes, that is correct. Most Dmus have horizontal engines, i.e. turned 90 degrees to the vertical. On the BUT engined cars (AEC, Leyland and Albion) the cylinder heads face outward with the crankcase towards the centreline, whereas Rolls Royce engined cars such as the 110 face the other way with the crankcase outwards and the cylinder heads towards the centre. Presumably this is due to which side the engine auxiliaries such as the injection system are mounted.

Edited by giz
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.