RhB Locomotive Driving "Tutorial"

Dixie Dean

Fabio AKA Calandamountain on YouTube and Twitter has in the past 6 months published a number of RhB cab rides.  Today he published the first driving video with a camera behind him in the cab and positioned to show how the throttle and brakes are used, etc. in a Ge 4/4 II locomotive, driving from Landquart to Kublis on the line to Klosters.  It doesn't give a particularly good view ahead, but there is a regular cab ride video on his channel of a trip from Landquart to St Moritz.  3 more of these "tutorial" videos are to follow. It can be seen here: 

Edited by Dixie Dean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

It’s gone from my history too so maybe he’s been asked / told to take it down by the RhB? 
Showing how to drive a Loco publicly probably isn’t considered great for security these days by those in the paranoia dept ;) 

I assume you still need a key like you do here although even those are fairly easy to get hold of. 

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Showing how to drive a Loco publicly probably isn’t considered great for security these days

There was a YouTube channel 2 or 3 years ago where a SBB driver positioned the camera to show instruments and controls as well as the forward view. Fascinating, and then the entire account disappeared overnight. 

• RMweb Gold

Fortunately Fabio’s other stuff is still there’s so it looks like the driving tutorial may be what’s got someone concerned? I can sympathise with that if it is the reason as regardless of info being available elsewhere the media would turn it into a storm if someone tried and blamed the YouTube video! Try explaining that after the event, if it is at least it looks like some sense and reason has been applied as only that one affected. 
It’s a difficult balance when you’re representing your company on YouTube. We had fun jumping thru hoops to the media department requirements for a video125 film about 7 years ago. I had to write risk assessments for the internal Signalbox steps even though they had to cross the steeper footbridge ones to get to the box! ;) 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 04/07/2020 at 10:56, PaulRhB said:

It’s gone from my history too so maybe he’s been asked / told to take it down by the RhB? 
Showing how to drive a Loco publicly probably isn’t considered great for security these days by those in the paranoia dept ;) 

I assume you still need a key like you do here although even those are fairly easy to get hold of. 

Sadly I suspect that you are correct.  Was very interesting though.  The reality is, he made it look quite easy, but I am certain that it would have been a lot harder than it looks.  Those controls looked like they needed a lot of skill to get the braking curve just right.

Yes, it was very interesting. I didn't quite understand how he was using the brake on the large dial on the lower right, but I suspected that it has some sort of lever that is operated left and right on the bottom of the large round knob that is out of the camera's field of view.

I never did see the knob itself move.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MichaelE said:

but I suspected that it has some sort of lever that is operated left and right on the bottom of the large round knob that is out of the camera's field of view.

Correct it’s pivoted in the round housing you could see with a lever towards the driver. Search ge4/4 cab and a few images from game simulators come up showing it clearly. 

• Like 1