If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Returning modeller

Ossian

Having been a keen modeller (plastic kits and OO-HO railways) in my (distant) youth, I am now, on the wrong side of 50, getting back into the hobby.

By day I'm an IT Consultant, so want hobbies that keep me away from a keyboard and screen as far as possible.   I live in the NE of Scotland

Originally I had (and probably still have) a lot of Palitoy rolling stock, and about 10 years ago I made my kids a small (6' by 4') Hornby DCC layout - just the basic set plus extensions with a pair of 0-6-0 locos.   Unfortunately they were more into PlayStations, so the baseboard is now propped up in a corner gathering dust....

I'm planning to get started with N-Gauge (and obviously DCC) to allow more realistic layouts in the space I have available (about 8' by 4'), and have been faffing around with various track planners to come up with something reasonable looking.   I am going to have a vast number of questions, so please, please be gentle with me!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to becoming part of this community, and getting to know members here.

Welcome back, this is a great hobby to escape the pressures and worries of everyday life and everyone has their own way of doing things. You will be able to learn from the wealth of experience on forums such as this but ultimately you do things in the way you most enjoy. As regards a layout I would say make something simple to start with. There is more chance you will progress with it and the chances are that you will recognise the shortcoming and want to rip it up and start again before too long.  

Thank you, Hibelroad.

I have been browsing and getting a lot already.

Agree re simple, but there is a trade off with "too toylike" - I am happy to be more complex and still, if needed, rip it all up