Single Servo operation

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

Apologies if this is a daft question but a friend's layout includes a couple of servo operated points that are out on a limb so to speak - i.e. well away from any servo group elsewhere on the layout.

What are the options for operating isolated servos as accessories and how are the servo ends of travel set?

Sig-na-Track do a single servo controller (IMP Digital Servo Controller DSI1001). DC or DCC operation, easy to setup the end points and speed of operation. Not cheap though.

https://www.signatrak.co.uk/products/layout-automation-and-accessory-control/dsi1001-imp

If I recall correctly the end points and speed can be setup with a knob and a few jumpers on the unit or by setting a few CV's if using DCC.

Edited by tender

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the responses.

Extender leads are an option in one area. The other area might be a bit more difficult.

I thought the Sig-naTrak was a tad expensive as well until I worked out what the two MERG kits would cost (albeit that those two kits would control 4 servos).

• RMweb Premium

Really basic & cheap could be an Arduino Nano clone which comes out at around £1.50 plus some extra components maybe another £1.50 - £2.50 and some Vero strip board.

https://rudysarduinoprojects.wordpress.com/2019/05/13/fun-with-arduino-30-dcc-servo-decoder/

I've just been doing that myself, you could drive up to about 10 servos.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, justin1985 said:

Just as cheap, but much simpler than an Arduino, for a single servo, is this little hack of one of the cheap "servo tester" units you can get on eBay for pennies:

Where's the DCC accessory decoder?

That's where the Arduino comes in to it.

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Dave John said:

If you fancy a DIY version this is a general 2 position servo driver.  

Thanks for that link, alas it doesn't appear to include an dcc accessory decoder element. (Thanks also to Justin for his link which also appears to not be  a dcc arrangement.

29 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Really basic & cheap could be an Arduino Nano clone which comes out at around £1.50 plus some extra components maybe another £1.50 - £2.50 and some Vero strip board.

https://rudysarduinoprojects.wordpress.com/2019/05/13/fun-with-arduino-30-dcc-servo-decoder/

I've just been doing that myself, you could drive up to about 10 servos.

Thanks for that link. It looks as though it may be an option. I'll take an in depth look at it tomorrow.

• RMweb Premium

This is my current lash-up with two servos and 8 leds:

(Based on Rudy's video no. 30)

1586490417_arduino-servo.jpg.16fba7422bffe01d663fd45efc5983a8.jpg

That uses an Arduino Uno but the "production" model will be a Nano mounted on some stripboard with the opto isolator (the DCC input, which is separate on this). and some suitable connectors for servos & any LEDs included as well as a buck convertor to provide the 5v supply for the Arduino and Servos.

You can mix and match LEDs & servos up to a total of 11.

Edited by melmerby