Up West Coast Postal 1960's

Carl LaFong

Hi everyone

A quick question about the route of the Aberdeen portion of the up West Coast Postal in the 1960's.

Following the closure of the Strathmore line did it then go via Dundee and Perth to Carstairs?

What happened to the passenger stock that was also part of the pre-closure train (which went to Edinburgh I believe).

Thanks for any info.

• RMweb Gold

I don't know about the what happened to the passenger accommodation stock post Strathmore, but from Perth it formed a stopping service to Buchanan Street, following the postal most of the way, and not to Edinburgh.

From memory, the postal section was as you say; Dundee, Perth, Carstairs post Strathmore.

Best

Scott.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Curiously there's no 15:30 Aberdeen - Perth shown in the 1968-9 ScR public TT, although it does reappear in the 1969-70 version. I notice from the 1971-2 Section E WTT of mandatory train services that the 01:05 Perth - Aberdeen, the return working for the passenger stock off the 15:30, was a more substantial train (345t timing load) conveying mail. It looks as if it probably took forward vehicles off 1S81, the 20.33 Carlisle - Perth mail, which must have arrived in Perth at about 00:30 (I have the ScR Section B WTT but not Section C covering Garnqueen North Jn to Perth) so can't be exact), but confirmation of this from the PTM would be welcome. 

Bill

PS Checking the 1968-9 public TT I see that 1S81 was advertised for passengers, giving a connection out of a Liverpool - Glasgow express. Arrival time at Perth that year was 00.29.

Edited by Bill Jamieson