Hornby 2-Bil drive units - help, please

I've just taken delivery of two brand-new Hornby 2-Bil drive units for projects.  They work fine if I apply power direct to the motor contacts but not if I apply power to the wheels or even to the pick-ups.  This is exactly the same as a previous one I bought, when I had to arrange current  pick-up from another bogie - but should they not work on their own ? Or is there some  thing else I need to do? Can anyhone help?

• RMweb Gold

The DCC socket is in the compartment at the inner end of the motor coach which is where the pickup wires go to. If it doesn't have a decoder, does it have a blanking plug fitted?

Edited by RFS

Thanks for responses so far - DCC is not something I've so far used - but I can't see anything that looks to me like a plug, blanking or otherwise, just (I think) a suppressor - no other wires at all visible.  Will take some photos tomorrow and post them. Kennick

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, 21C1 said:

The pickups are not wired to the motor.  You need to take solder  wires from the copper pads on each side to either side of the capacitor on one side of the bogie.

Does that make sense?

12 hours ago, kennick said:

Thanks 21C1, I think that answers my problem.  WIll do the soldering in the a.m. and report back!. Kennick

Just re-read the OP's post - realized he's bought the bogie and not the complete 2-BIL. Apologies for the confusion!

Edited by RFS

10 minutes ago, RFS said:

They are not wired directly to the motor - they are routed via the DCC socket at the other end of the coach. There they are joined by pickup wires from the trailing bogie also. The wires from the motor also go to the DCC socket. If you're not running DCC, there will be a blanking plug to join the pickup and motor wires together. There's no need to do any soldering. Make sure that plug is there before you do anything else. 

I believe from the description that the OP has bought only the motor bogies, not the chassis, therefore no decoder sockets or wires to same.

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, SRman said:

I believe from the description that the OP has bought only the motor bogies, not the chassis, therefore no decoder sockets or wires to same.

In which case there should be some way to connect the pickups direct to the motor

This shows what I assume is a contact strip below what look like the motor connections, there will be another on the other side

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, SRman said:

Yes - now twigged! sorry for the confusion and have updated my post!

• Friendly/supportive 2

Problem solved! 21C1 was spot on with advice and I've now done the soldering on one of the two units as shown below (shoe-bar also "weathered").   Thanks to all those who helped with this and if anyone is interested I ordered these two new X6575 complete drive units a fortnight ago from Lendons of Cardiff (no connection) for just £9.98 each, though I don't know if they have any left 

DSCF3341.JPG

DSCF3342.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 21C1 said:

They may have some left. I've just ordered 2 more. Be quick if you want some, good value at that price.

Have a couple left in my modelling stash, but tempted to try and order a couple more. They are so useful for powering most D/EMUs once you change the sideframes. What I don't understand is why these motor bogies run so well, but the ones in the Hornby 4-Vep don't.

I think this issue of power bogies being prepared for DCC and not as it were freestanding is something to expect now.

A while back I bought a Hornby new style Class 90 unit, put it on the track and - nothing! Same issue as noted.

Lendons have a variety of drives on offer at great prices, a pair of 2Bil's and 5 class 59's came through my door a couple of days ago and I'm thinking of going back for more.

John.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I think this issue of power bogies being prepared for DCC and not as it were freestanding is something to expect now...

Possibly you could feed that back to the retailer: needs the information describing the goods to clearly state 'wiring incomplete'. (They could even supply a simple kit and/or diagram for the wiring required...)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Possibly you could feed that back to the retailer: needs the information describing the goods to clearly state 'wiring incomplete'. (They could even supply a simple kit and/or diagram for the wiring required...)

Why?

The item is being sold as a Hornby spare part and the seller would rightly expect the purchaser to have a basic understanding of what they are buying.

EDIT

At Halfords: Sorry sir this exhaust system does not come with an engine attached............:jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Why?

The item is being sold as a Hornby spare part and the seller would rightly expect the purchaser to have a basic understanding of what they are buying...

That will be the retailer's call. Personally I feel it is typically a good plan to give the purchaser useful information. (The counter might be that this information will actually dissuade some potential buyers...)