Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

1 minute ago, pH said:

I’m intrigued! What Canal Line stopper was hauled by a Duchess from an English shed? (Polmadie only ever had green ones.) 

I haven't been able to find out where it originated - Stranraer perhaps? My pal across the street and I used to call it the 8:15 because it left Paisley Canal heading for St Enoch around that time. We were watching it about half a mile East of the station as it screeched along the severe check rails around Saucel Hill.  My brother took it sometimes on his way to GU.

There were plenty of "namers" pulling it. Clans, Britannias, IIRC. There might have been some Scots/Pats too, but I can't remember.

I think the the first "namer" I ever saw was Invincible. It was shunting the Saucel sidings. I was very impressed. Prior to that it was usually a Jumbo.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone.

The Night Mail has just arrived in darkest North Hipposhire with a nicely eclectic mix of despatches. Reading about the phobias suffered by some unfortunate souls makes me very glad that I don't suffer myself but my younger son, who is a strapping 6ft 5 going on 47 years old and fit as a butcher's dog, used to be absolutely terrified of spiders and wouldn't go in the garden shed in case he saw one. Even the sight of a web would cause him to recoil. Eventually he went to get counselling for it and was put on a desensitisation course (I'm not sure whether that was actually the title but it was something like it) and after some time it had a positive effect. I don't think he actually loves arachnids now but he's much better at tolerating them and no longer gets the cold sweats if he thinks that one is near.

Regarding Camden Pacifics on Glaswegian locals, I believe that the Scottish sheds were well known for using locomotives that were 'parked' on their premises for several hours on return workings from south of the border. Thus those that hauled the various named Scots and such, which would include LMR crimson Coronations, would sometimes be seen on some quite untypical duties. From the different types listed in Andy's post could it be that the 8.15 was such a working?

Must close now to get this on the TPO.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I haven't been able to find out where it originated - Stranraer perhaps? My pal across the street and I used to call it the 8:15 because it left Paisley Canal heading for St Enoch around that time. We were watching it about half a mile East of the station as it screeched along the severe check rails around Saucel Hill.  My brother took it sometimes on his way to GU.

There were plenty of "namers" pulling it. Clans, Britannias, IIRC. There might have been some Scots/Pats too, but I can't remember.

I think the the first "namer" I ever saw was Invincible. It was shunting the Saucel sidings. I was very impressed. Prior to that it was usually a Jumbo.

This train has been mentioned on another thread. I think that it was mainly a way of getting the train back out from Glasgow quickly rather than it take up platform space during the rush hour.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

18 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

This train has been mentioned on another thread. I think that it was mainly a way of getting the train back out from Glasgow quickly rather than it take up platform space during the rush hour.

Hi Joseph

It was heading for Glasgow St Enoch. I can't remmber if the stock was corridor or suburban. Corridor I think bit all things considered it's surprising I can remember any of it.

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Hi Joseph

It was heading for Glasgow St Enoch.

St Enoch was obviously the place to go if you didn't like crowds!

My parents moved from Wales to Scotland soon after they were married as the BBC was a bit short staffed in Glasgow.  They remained there until  just before I was born. and he returned to work for BBC Wales.

I cannot claim any real affinity to the Scots, much as I like them, and when serving with a Regiment that recruited mainly from the Glasgow area, got the distinct impression that they were speaking a dialect akin to scribble.

After two years with them I was fluent!

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Our host asked me to post pics of my fiddle yard. Those of a nervous disposition may choose to avert their minces now. The barn, 17' x 20', is circa 1850, and has a very low beamed ceiling. The fiddle yard is on the short wall. This is still very much work in progress.

A little orientation. The fiddle yard serves three different lines leaving my station of Beaworthy. It is called thus because Halwill, which it slightly resembles, was Halwill for Beaworthy. Nearest the wall - some of which has lost its render ages ago, before we bought the place - are four sidings representing Padstow. In the middle are three sidings representing Bude, and furthest from the wall and curving round the back of the backscene are three representing the Torrington branch.

B046F70B-FF87-451A-ADD0-14893426EC73.jpeg.d50f622c8da99f7e2700f1db56a7ab95.jpeg 

And, from the other end

7D263B27-079B-4E09-8164-D702D2122339.jpeg.faa57f76ef6990b2902e53ec36a6a634.jpeg

The wooden arch at the far end has one of the cctv cameras on it. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Our host asked me to post pics of my fiddle yard. Those of a nervous disposition may choose to avert their minces now. The barn, 17' x 20', is circa 1850, and has a very low beamed ceiling. The fiddle yard is on the short wall. This is still very much work in progress.

A little orientation. The fiddle yard serves three different lines leaving my station of Beaworthy. It is called thus because Halwill, which it slightly resembles, was Halwill for Beaworthy. Nearest the wall - some of which has lost its render ages ago, before we bought the place - are four sidings representing Padstow. In the middle are three sidings representing Bude, and furthest from the wall and curving round the back of the backscene are three representing the Torrington branch.

B046F70B-FF87-451A-ADD0-14893426EC73.jpeg.d50f622c8da99f7e2700f1db56a7ab95.jpeg 

And, from the other end

7D263B27-079B-4E09-8164-D702D2122339.jpeg.faa57f76ef6990b2902e53ec36a6a634.jpeg

The wooden arch at the far end has one of the cctv cameras on it. 

Thanks for the pictures.  I think this might be a first as I've never seen any pictures of your enterprise  before.  Please keep them coming.

I'd be very interested in  more information on the CCTV system.

What brands of equipment you use, how it all goes together and works?

I have a number of fanciful schemes where the use of a camera to watch the hidden zones would be a godsend.

Knowing Sherry's love of the theatre, I am looking forward to seeing the front of the layout and I'm fully expecting the thick velvet drapes, plush front row seats and a couple of young ladies with trays waiting to sell ice cream and chilled drinks to the enthralled audience.

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I have just finished drilling some holes in the bottom of the bath!

Crazy as that sounds, when it was being cleaned yesterday, prior to a visit by our daughter and the grandchildren, a crack was seen.

Since it's one of these plastic /grp type baths, welding the crack was not an option.

So a pair of holes have been drilled at each end of the crack to stop it from enlarging and the crack between the two holes has been opened up to form a 'V' shaped trench.  It is amazing how modelling tools and cutters are suddenly appreciated by my wife when this sort of thing  happens. (She even appreciates the milling machine and the lathe, but that's another story!)

This trench and the holes have now been packed with some Milliput, and I'm going to leave it until tomorrow before I gently rub it down.

I will report back after I have carried out the contortionist's training, as the crack was on the side of the bath nearest the wall, and I will need to get underneath the bath to put a layer of waterproof sealant on the outer face of the bath under where the track was, just in case.

Fortunately the bathroom is scheduled for a complete refurbishment in the not too distant future, so the repair does not have to last too long.

But it will be interesting to see what happens when I start to fill the bath!

As you can see, The Night Mail, caters for all sorts of information.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thanks for the pictures.  I think this might be a first as I've never seen any pictures of your enterprise  before.  Please keep them coming.

I'd be very interested in  more information on the CCTV system.

What brands of equipment you use, how it all goes together and works?

I have a number of fanciful schemes where the use of a camera to watch the hidden zones would be a godsend.

Knowing Sherry's love of the theatre, I am looking forward to seeing the front of the layout and I'm fully expecting the thick velvet drapes, plush front row seats and a couple of young ladies with trays waiting to sell ice cream and chilled drinks to the enthralled audience.

CCTV is extremely affordable, being ebay kits intended for reversing cameras on trucks etc. Less than £20 per set, with a 4.3" screen. Needs 12v, natch. Be aware that the image is reversed, as it would need to be in a vehicle where it emulates the mirror. 

If you think Sherry would allow me within a mile of young ladies chez moi - think again! 

Edit. Worth mentioning that when she does FOH for the theatre, Sherry invariably does the ices at the interval. And she is one of the younger ones! 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

CCTV is extremely affordable, being ebay kits intended for reversing cameras on trucks etc. Less than £20 per set, with a 4.3" screen. Needs 12v, natch. Be aware that the image is reversed, as it would need to be in a vehicle where it emulates the mirror. 

If you think Sherry would allow me within a mile of young ladies chez moi - think again! 

I wonder if the old dash cam system I have would work, although I'd need to connect it to a remote monitor?

However, if I used the rear view camera which came with it (as opposed to a reversing camera) I could use the viewing screen on the front camera to act as a monitor.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I wonder if the old dash cam system I have would work, although I'd need to connect it to a remote monitor?

However, if I used the rear view camera which came with it (as opposed to a reversing camera) I could use the viewing screen on the front camera to act as a monitor.

Sounds feasible - but the transmission standards from your front camera might be hard to discern if you wanted to use that. Dashcams typically record to an SD card, I think. the rear camera sounds sensible, but monitors need to have a certain size to be useful, I find, if watching them. Unimportant for a fleeting glimpse when driving. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 03/07/2020 at 07:29, Happy Hippo said:

I have been asked why I chose 'The Night Mail' as a topic heading.

One has to blame Jamie92208 for this when were we in discussion yesterday as it was not first choice.

However, Jamie's suggestion won the day as there is more chance of contributors joining  who imagine the romantic view of  this:

image.png.6a82a4b35466f54dc6eea613d3cf014e.png

To the other alternative which was 'HH's Muddy Hollow' which realistically looks like this:

image.png.8f0a035ddd6843c7f8470ab069248919.png

“The Cornishman” or “The Cambrian Coast Express” doesn’t really fit either. But “The Directors Inspection Special” might work if you feel like editing it:biggrin_mini2:.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

“The Cornishman” or “The Cambrian Coast Express” doesn’t really fit either. But “The Directors Inspection Special” might work if you feel like editing it:biggrin_mini2:.

I'll think we'll stick with what we've got.  Besides, it'll keep the Midland brigade happy.

If I  ever start a building thread it might be called 'Made in the Muddy Hollow'.

• Agree 3

If I've read the OP correctly, this is an invitation to ramble on about nothing in particular, so here goes...

For some reason RMWeb is one of those sites I only read on a full screen PC or laptop, unfortunately my granddaughter has had the laptop since start of lockdown for her homework and as I'm shielding I've not seen either for 100+ days, but I do have the PC in the cupboard under the stairs, so I'm on it now.

Facebook is one of the sites I do read on my phone, and it reminded me today, 9 years ago, was Catherine's first session of chemotherapy at the Western in Edinburgh, which reminded me, not that I'd forgotten, I'm back there myself for my next dose of immunotherapy this week coming. It's now 6 years since Catherine passed away and when I started my own treatment I was amazed how many of the nurses and doctors I recognised, I'd always assumed they'd 'burn out' sooner rather than later, but obviously not, they're all heroic really. Catherine was always rather scared of needles, had terrible veins and had several Central and Hickman lines, non of which were very successful and her whole cancer journey was rather miserable. In comparison, my journey (so far) has been a breeze, no symptoms of the kidney cancer at all, and side effects of the treatment have been irritating rather than debilitating, but there's always that "but you've got stage 4 cancer" message tannoying in the back of your head. Anyway my favourite distraction is always a few hours on RMweb or AnyRail so I'm here.

A working life dominated by 12 hour solo shifts left me well equipped for shielding/lockdown and I started off full of good ideas of what I was going to do, including build my layout I've been dreaming about, but it has ground o a halt as quickly as it started as the list of bits n bobs I need gets longer and shops stay shut etc and other thoughts of grander plans seem to run aground on a shortage of peco track in the box shifters etc. Other minor irritations include being unable to pull the body off my Dapol 26 to have a go at fitting a DCC chip, lol which is compounded by my (Bachman) DC controler only works in 1 direction. However I did enjoy playing trains, running in circles, until  started thinking about my end to end plans. 

Anyway, I started looking at this thread, as when I worked in London Jan84-Jan86 I'd get the Nightrider (?) train up n down. I did try the bus once, but that was horrific, the train was luxury in comparison.

Hope I've ticked all the thread boxes!

Angus

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Thought I would join in and spread a few Panniers around the place.  I have no intention of starting a layout thread as it would end up with me telling some rivet counter where to put their opinion.....ahem.

Phobias though, oh yeah - dentistry. Of any kind.  I think it is based around a childhood experience of needles and fillings, but it would need a psychologist to unravel it.  I don't particularly like needles, but have learned to cope, mostly by not looking. In the last 7 years I have had three serious surgeries and am now diabetic, so I have kind of got used to it - but in my mouth?  No way, never.  I'd need a general. Or a big hammer.

Like Richard, I also like to play with real steam locos in the garden, so here's a non-rivet-county photo to be going on with. A prototypical loco in a non-prototypical livery, in a garden on Fraggle Rock.

12.jpg.ef5a79f1e201550432e310e3690f32f7.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have just finished drilling some holes in the bottom of the bath!

Crazy as that sounds, when it was being cleaned yesterday, prior to a visit by our daughter and the grandchildren, a crack was seen.

Since it's one of these plastic /grp type baths, welding the crack was not an option.

At a guess I'd say that cracks due to Hippos aren't covered under warranty.....:jester:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 9

Like Steeveydee68, I hate the sight of needles and hate  it when after a Drs consultation he  says I just want you to have a couple of tests. Arrrgh.

i also hate the thought of scalpels cutting into me, which brings us to my story. It’s a bit convoluted so it’s missed some out so there may appear to be plot holes in the story. Anyway here goes.
I decided that the three ‘blemishes’ on my skin needed attending to. (Actually it was SWMBO and mother who decided).I had a small, almost invisible mole on my face that occasionally bled and had an appointment at the local hospital with a  dermatologist. I sat down and he asked me ‘what can I do for you’ , while looking at a cyst the size of a small egg on the back of my neck. I pointed out the mole on my face and he seemed a little disappointed. After a brief examination he said,’ but what about the lump? I explained that my local GP was going to remove it for me at the surgery. The consultant took a deep breathe (the type a car mechanic does when he’s about to sting you) and said ‘you’d better tell him to go in deep because the roots go deep’ .Thanks that’s just the kind of information I need.

To the surgery, local anaesthetic   injection and the gastly deep is done and I’m not looking A1. When he’d done the GP said do I want a look at what I’ve taken out? Guess what, I declined his offer. I was going to say did he want to take it home for his dog but decided as he hadn’t finished I’d keep my wise remarks to myself. 
Ah! he then said we have the bobbly mole on your eyelid to do now. As you’re not looking too good, a bit pale in fact I think we’ll leave that for another day. No I said, you’ll not get me in here again let’s do it now. Ok he said, but I can’t give you a local anaesthetic there and with that he got out some scissors and just cut it off.
Needless to say I haven’t been for any more local treatment although I’ve had an under general anaesthetic, but that another story.

Keep safe and out of the pubs,

Robert

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

I thought he used a  muddy hollow for bathing?

Since there are only two of us in the house under normal circumstances, and I don't use that bathroom, you can see where the blame should lie.

However, remember:

Rule 1:  She is always right

Rule 2:  In the event of her being wrong, then Rule 1 automatically applies.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Angus,

You don't need to tick any boxes to be welcome on board this service.

I hope you find this small but growing band to be decent travelling companions.

You will have noticed comments about pannier tanks and muddy hollows.

Be aware I am particularly partial to cake.

This is not helped by the fact that the young lady next door but one is a Pastry chef at the Savoy, and is currently furloughed.

So she spends her time making cakes.

This was one of her fabulous cheese cakes embellished with fresh fruit from the garden,and a home made redcurrant and vanilla cordial.

As you can imagine, it has gone to a better place!

IMG-20200704-WA0004.jpeg

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AngusDe said:

If I've read the OP correctly, this is an invitation to ramble on about nothing in particular, so here goes...

For some reason RMWeb is one of those sites I only read on a full screen PC or laptop, unfortunately my granddaughter has had the laptop since start of lockdown for her homework and as I'm shielding I've not seen either for 100+ days, but I do have the PC in the cupboard under the stairs, so I'm on it now.

Facebook is one of the sites I do read on my phone, and it reminded me today, 9 years ago, was Catherine's first session of chemotherapy at the Western in Edinburgh, which reminded me, not that I'd forgotten, I'm back there myself for my next dose of immunotherapy this week coming. It's now 6 years since Catherine passed away and when I started my own treatment I was amazed how many of the nurses and doctors I recognised, I'd always assumed they'd 'burn out' sooner rather than later, but obviously not, they're all heroic really. Catherine was always rather scared of needles, had terrible veins and had several Central and Hickman lines, non of which were very successful and her whole cancer journey was rather miserable. In comparison, my journey (so far) has been a breeze, no symptoms of the kidney cancer at all, and side effects of the treatment have been irritating rather than debilitating, but there's always that "but you've got stage 4 cancer" message tannoying in the back of your head. Anyway my favourite distraction is always a few hours on RMweb or AnyRail so I'm here.

A working life dominated by 12 hour solo shifts left me well equipped for shielding/lockdown and I started off full of good ideas of what I was going to do, including build my layout I've been dreaming about, but it has ground o a halt as quickly as it started as the list of bits n bobs I need gets longer and shops stay shut etc and other thoughts of grander plans seem to run aground on a shortage of peco track in the box shifters etc. Other minor irritations include being unable to pull the body off my Dapol 26 to have a go at fitting a DCC chip, lol which is compounded by my (Bachman) DC controler only works in 1 direction. However I did enjoy playing trains, running in circles, until  started thinking about my end to end plans. 

Anyway, I started looking at this thread, as when I worked in London Jan84-Jan86 I'd get the Nightrider (?) train up n down. I did try the bus once, but that was horrific, the train was luxury in comparison.

Hope I've ticked all the thread boxes!

Angus

That's quite a journey you're on Angus. Therecsre two othervtgreads that you might enjoy. One is called, Jock67b's Cancer Ward or something very similar. Jock was a stalwart on Early Risers and passed away a couple of years ago. The thread is a general support group for anyone either sufferring or caring for a sufferrer. The other is called Tales from the Treatment Room which was created by Mike Boucher and describes thevmodelling he does whilst having chemo.  Sadly he hasn't posted for a while but it's a good thread.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1