Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Evening.  Saw a train today, it was lush.  There, I'm out!  

The ER in question upthread will not be missed - I was beaten to it previously about one of his frankly offensive posts.

I agree that he will not be missed. His name cropped up in conversation at the last London Brains trust (There's an oxymoron) meeting and I don't think that there was a complimentary word said.

Anyway It's relaxing time now after a rather busy day, as explained n ER's. Beth is now fast asleep.  the last of 6 stears of firewood have now been collected and unloaded and are stacked neatly in the woodshed.  We have at least 2 years supply in stock.  A stear is approx 1 cubic metre of timber and is apparently a pre metric measurement that is still in use, even on energy efficiency certificates over here where a house is assessed as x no Stears per year.  Scottish Medicine of the Glenlivet variety is being self administered as oral antisepetic. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

We used to have Tondus quite often; in fact we've still got the pan and stuff somewhere in a crate in the garage and the cookbook up in the bookcase.

Ah, no - I mean fondus don't I? 

This Lagavulin is going down a treat.

Dave

• Funny 7

25 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Laurence, I was having another look through that Tondu book you sold me a while back.

Do you have any more in the series about S Wales, as they are quite addictive?

Will have to ask the boss (am just the slave). Twas a Middleton Press one was it not?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Happy Sunday everyone. Just off to my Dad's to see whether I can sort out his latest computer problem then we're going for a walk. The weather here in North Hipposhire is OK but isn't warm enough for Jill's tomatoes to ripen so I may be detailed to bring them in to the conservatory later. Interesting point - why is a conservatory called a conservatory?

TTFN

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Will have to ask the boss (am just the slave). Twas a Middleton Press one was it not?

It is.

Part of their Welsh Valleys series.

There's eleven in the series (so far) but the Tondu book is the only one I have.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

why is a conservatory called a conservatory?

"A conservatory is a place to grow. It could be one of those glass greenhouses where rare and delicate plants can thrive. Or it could be a place to grow your artistic talent — like a music conservatory."

"The word comes from the Latin word conservare, meaning "to preserve."

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/conservatory

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Happy Sunday everyone. Just off to my Dad's to see whether I can sort out his latest computer problem then we're going for a walk. The weather here in North Hipposhire is OK but isn't warm enough for Jill's tomatoes to ripen so I may be detailed to bring them in to the conservatory later. Interesting point - why is a conservatory called a conservatory?

TTFN

Dave

If it's any consolation our tomatoes are bonkers.

Those that should have ripened haven't, yet those that should not be ready are being cropped. (Perhaps we got the labels wrong!)

We had two runty type plants we brought into our conservatory to try and bring them on and they went manic!

Grew very quickly and ended up having to be trimmed back as they had reached the apex of the roof.  

The canes were not enough to support them, and they need a complex set of strings tied to various parts of the frame in order to keep them from toppling over.

Cucumbers in the greenhouse seem to be growing in batches.  We are either cropping them very quickly and then we get nothing for days, then another lot start.

As is usual here the courgettes are growing so quickly we cannot keep up, and are getting marrows as well.

The potatoes should be harvested, but have been left in the ground for now.

This morning will see use cropping some more of the blueberries.

We've done well with veg and fruit so far this year, I suspect some of the success is due to the time spent in the garden during the important periods.

Thank you lock down.

Today's task seems to be to restore a children's swing we acquired to operational condition.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As an aside to my previous post here is a photo taken inside the woodshed.

P7260579.JPG.791bc03ea04b78afe3bb0173cd00c112.JPG

Approx 10 stears in this pile.  The cropping saw is covered on the left and there are another 3 stears of wood that we've either harvested from our garden or bought as offcuts from the barrel factory.  I do need to point out that the main stack of wood was mainly done by the domestic authorities as I am apparently not neat enough. Despite her being recumbent on the couch watching telly, I am still in mortal fear of her version of the dreaded awl.   However I fear that the crime for which the awl will be deployed is that of being a) male and b) a husband.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I am still in mortal fear of her version of the dreaded awl.   However I fear that the crime for which the awl will be deployed is that of being a) male and b) a husband.

I don't worry about such trivial things anymore:  Ever since I discovered the Obergrumpenfuhrer has a very nice pair of boots, in the style as worn by Rosa Klebb.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Interesting point - why is a conservatory called a conservatory?

Mine was called an oven.  About six years ago, at a time when the plastic roof was starting to need attention (again) I started looking at options.  I ended up putting a hard roof on it, using a product called Metrotiles.  All done properly with buildings control involved, extra roof joists, insulated, plasterboarded, plastered etc.

Prior to starting I removed all window and roof blinds (reflective foil jobbies - not cheap) and closed it all up for a few hours on a particularly hot (July?) afternoon - 46C was recorded.  A few weeks later, new roof, no blinds on windows, similar day......26C.

Well worth it.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Mine was called an oven.  About six years ago, at a time when the plastic roof was starting to need attention (again) I started looking at options.  I ended up putting a hard roof on it, using a product called Metrotiles.  All done properly with buildings control involved, extra roof joists, insulated, plasterboarded, plastered etc.

Prior to starting I removed all window and roof blinds (reflective foil jobbies - not cheap) and closed it all up for a few hours on a particularly hot (July?) afternoon - 46C was recorded.  A few weeks later, new roof, no blinds on windows, similar day......26C.

Well worth it.

We have similar planned for our current conservatory.

The other advantage being it also stabilises the temperature in the winter months so the room becomes useable all year around.

The other plus is being able to sit in there when it is hammering down with rain.  Almost impossible to do with a polycarbonate roof.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

We had our conservatory roof done in January using aluminium/foam sandwich panels.  The average temperature inside in the rest of the winter was about two degrees warmer than before, but now, in summer, the room is actually usable, rather than just for storage.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2