Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Thinking about the track plan, does it have to be a double track approach into the station?  Single line would simplify things with any loss of operation and save the track work, particularly the up line option.

Edited by Northroader
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

Thinking about the track plan, does it have to be a double track approach into the station?  Single line would simplify things with any loss of operation and save the track work, particularly the up line option.

In a word, yes.

Just because I want to get away from the single track branch line syndrome, as I've made so many over the years.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Evening all,

More bodgery took place today. The the Meccano workshop is now complete, with the addition of a wood turning lathe and a horizontal milling machine, which has also made it 5x times louder. Another part of the water gauge on my Weeden engine sheared off today, so after a conversation with Richard (HH) a new one was ordered, and the old boiler bushings removed in preparation for a new set. 

This morning was spent using the power washer at my grandmother’s on the pool deck. Well actually, that's a lie, as the power washer died after 10 seconds. So the high pressure hose was used instead. This involved a large amount of turning the water on and off to said hose, and every time you turn off the water the fixture is pressed out of the keyway holding it in the pipe, and a three foot spurt of water goes in ones face! This happened more than was amusing, and by the end I was properly soaked, not to mention the nozzle leaking everywhere. However I was rewarded in my efforts by a lunch of Cuban Empanadas, from my preferred Cuban restaurant.  

stay healthy,

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Not actual modelling but much use of modelling tools and supplies.   My good lady has now broken both her pairs of glasses and for various reasons doesn't want to buy a new pair just yet.  So I have been trying to keep the two broken pairs useable.   After 2 evening's work I finally managed to make a new hinge for one pair using 3 14BA bolts and my newly acquired 14BA Tap plus the dremel and various files.  This reduced the end of a piece of scrap brass bar to the semblance of a hinge.

P8060619.JPG.efe67f13e09d098bba3fa15f55baaadd.JPG

I was quite pleased with my efforts and there has been grudging praise from the wearer of said glasses.   I now need to work out how to tighten up the other pair.   I will report in due course.   I trust that next time Beth queries my purchase of small bits of turned brass she will accept that they are necessary items.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent work on the spectacles Jamie.

It only goes to prove my theory that spending on tooling is never wasted, and rarely appreciated until something goes wrong and you can fix it.

Yesterday saw the commissioning of the Pikler Triangle for the grandchildren.  It does fold for storage/transport and is seen here with the additional clip on climbing wall.

The cross beams are 1.125" diameter, and the whole monstrosity was designed to take my weight!

It was left unpainted at the new owner's request, as they wish to do their own decoration once they get home

Pikler.jpg.1793f38539bfded6cbe43363b1a57d72.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Routine orders for this morning detailed yours truly for housework, a couple of light garden tasks and preparation of the salmon dish for tonight but the carrot to go with it was a pink chit for entry to the shed once I'd finished. All tasks now complete so I'm going to.............. (offstage whooshing noise).

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Pore gramer
  • Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Track planning continues to change.  Back to single track operations for now:

tp.jpg.5e19fa6bec6751067b9c3e52335984bf.jpg

There appear to be a few track pieces not available when our carpet was covered in Brio. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Just to say I've been following the trials and tribulation at Hippo Towers - keep it up and keep smiling. I should also like to add that even over here in the darkest, deepest unknown territory of Eastern France, I too was a fan of Gren and the inhabitants of Aberflyarff - followed his cartoons religiously in the South Wales Echo (Late City edition for me, mind). It was only through this thread that I knew that he had passed away :(.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have considered getting some beech plank, and making up some custom track panels using the router.

However, my time might be better spent elsewhere.

I did modify a couple of short straights to cope with odd situations. Then similar parts became available. I think when we first had such toys only Brio existed and then clone versions appeared. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, newbryford said:

I can see that'll need an auto-reverser

Do  your emloyers produce one for wooden non electrified track.  However I suspect that a manual digital version may be in the picture.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Any chance of some Billard?

Do I assume the railcar? There was a part-works done in 'Le Train' about two years ago - it also covered the 'Micheline' workings here in the east of France. Found out something I never knew about our local station - it had at one time an extensive engine shed and railcars (not Billard) were allocated there.

The station (Jussey) still exists (buildings and platforms), it's just been re-rooved and has a new clock, but the trains haven't stopped there in 40 years. It's kept as it's a end-of-section station that is still mechanical and not covered by the nearest boxes.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: There are five 'd's in Oldddudders :)

Edited by Philou
PS added
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Both Billards.

The drivers from Billard were renowned for their spirited working;  The railcars have a charm of their own.

There were so many Ds in Olddddddduddddders I thought he might have had a slight keyboard stammer.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Both Billards.

The drivers from Billard were renowned for their spirited working;  The railcars have a charm of their own.

There were so many Ds in Olddddddduddddders I thought he might have had a slight keyboard stammer.

Slight? Bloomin' slight? In fact my login has one more than intended. Mind you, more than one person seeing my email address, like a number of RMwebbers, has imagined it was Old Udders. When you're my age, taking an interest in teenage ones could land you in jail! 

And REE Models are about to sell a Billard railcar in HOe and HOm scales. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

Right gentlemen and monsewers, another day at Waterloo tomorrow.  I hope to buy MRJ at Ian Allen's on the way in, which should occupy me for a couple of hours, then I will catch up on The Night Mail.  So plenty of abuse about Spur Null please.  Remember that I can't answer back until I get home.  As it is Saturday, I can leave bang on the dot of four o'clock.  Bill

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, bbishop said:

Right gentlemen and monsewers, another day at Waterloo tomorrow.  I hope to buy MRJ at Ian Allen's on the way in, which should occupy me for a couple of hours, then I will catch up on The Night Mail.  So plenty of abuse about Spur Null please.  Remember that I can't answer back until I get home.  As it is Saturday, I can leave bang on the dot of four o'clock.  Bill

Hello Bill.

I cant think of anything abusive to say! 

Hope you got your magazine.

Tony

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I have a sneaking fascination of continental railways:  French via the WDLR and the various field railways that developed around the trenches of the Western Front and Gordon Gravett's wonderful Pempoule.

I also have a Roundhouse 0-4-0 chassis that will one day be worked into a Decauvillesque model similar to this which was made by a friend of mine, Harvey Watkins:

image.png.825f07e034e6296027db85f73a05db6c.png

If I had the time space and energy, a similar loco in 7mm scale sitting alongside a water tank and wheezing gently before clattering off with a short train of tippers into a very arid Mexican landscape:  Two rusty ribbons for rails, passing by some adobe huts complete with drowsing inhabitants (all wearing sombreros).

However, Bill's requuest for Spur Null actually draws a blank as although I am interested, I have nothing to share but some memories of my time in Germany.

The Field Force Ordnance (Stores) company was probably the only field force unit to have a dedicated rail spur into the barracks.  The company being responsible for the storage and distribution of all the engines and major assemblies for 1 (BR) Corps.  We also held the Corps pool of underslung load equipment for the RAF helicopter force and had an armoury full of spare weapons.  Finally, we held the spare 'drones' of 94 Locating Regt RA.  These were pilotless aircraft, that were pre programmed to fly a set course and take pictures.  On landing, the films were developed and the photo interpreters were let loose.  A far cry from the real time int gathering that today's fully controllable drones are capable of.

But I've digressed from the German railway aspect of the operation.

The depot was surved by a single line that branched off the mainline somewhere in Bielefeld, and ended up in the barracks where it split into two sidings which were both in a storeshed.  One of the sidings was completely boarded over with an additional raised floor section which allowed the remaining siding to be served from both sides at door height.

It was the responsibility of 79 Railway Sqn, and because I had an interest in railways, I was quickly appointed as the liaison officer should any rail matters develop.

The track into the barracks was on a long curve, the outer rail being not dissimilar to tram track, so that when a wagon was propelled in, the outer flanges were lifted  away from the inside of the railhead.  This resulted in less friction and an element of super elevation.  Because of this there was usually a wagon propelled into the siding, and inspected by both 79 Sqn and DB to ensure the rail remained within the tolerances allowed.

What I did find fascinating about the branch lines further south was the complete lack of fencing to separate the railway land from the rest of the world.  something I've noticed in other places around Europe and North America.  Despite this apparent invitation to trespass and put your life at risk, it didn't seem to happen, and the lines were just ignored by the locals.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't comment on Spur Null but am a member of the Cercle du Zero.  However I have trawled though my hard drive and have found three photos of Hochstadt, no umlaut, at Warley in 2016 where I was privileged to be a member of the operating team. First a view of the shed area.

PB271987.JPG.451ce3799e96520d1213ed7b290f8687.JPG

Then a view pat the station to the end of the line.  (You could write a song with that title.)

PB271988.JPG.aa32f0a97d3f49b1660717cc5625d922.JPG

Finally another shed scene from the operating side.  

PB271989.JPG.ded7f30df248ba416697994a3b19524e.JPG

I do like the chunky look of those tank engines.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1