Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

The optician is to be visited this afternoon.  

The Hall was worked on this morning for a short time.

It's now got 12 wheel pick up which might improve it's reliability. 

However, I will need to check that the polarity of loco and tender has not been compromised before I tighten everything up.  I once acquired a Hornby Garage Grange very cheap some years back, as the tender had been wired up opposite to the loco, so it shorted out every time it was powered up. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Funny you should say that; I'm currently taking part in the Tour de France - it's just that I'm not in France and not riding a bike.

The hospital escape saga is taking on the character of a Whitehall farce - I'll give more details sometime later but suffice it to say at the moment that I was seen a short while ago by a young doctor who apologised profusely and told me that my scan had been "overlooked". For over three days??!!

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Funny you should say that; I'm currently taking part in the Tour de France - it's just that I'm not in France and not riding a bike.

The hospital escape saga is taking on the character of a Whitehall farce - I'll give more details sometime later but suffice it to say at the moment that I was seen a short while ago by a young doctor who apologised profusely and told me that my scan had been "overlooked". For over three days??!!

Dave

Yet if these people booked their car in for a service on a specific day and it got 'overlooked' for a further three days, I bet you they would raise the point in a slightly irritated tone.

The other alternative is that Jill has persuaded them to keep you in!:o

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

With reference to another Wheeltappers thread, a mention was made of Waddington and landing AWACs planes thereon.

Having done a quick google, I notice that two of the classic runways that made up the A configuration are no longer in use.

I understand the original, WW2, layout was to allow (propeller) planes to land from any direction, depending on the wind.

Is this no longer a requirement with modern (jet) planes ?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

With reference to another Wheeltappers thread, a mention was made of Waddington and landing AWACs planes thereon.

Having done a quick google, I notice that two of the classic runways that made up the A configuration are no longer in use.

I understand the original, WW2, layout was to allow (propeller) planes to land from any direction, depending on the wind.

Is this no longer a requirement with modern (jet) planes ?

I'm sure Dave will be along with the definitive answer, but harking back some years to when they had Beaver aircraft at 16 Flt AAC at Dekhalia, if the wind was  over a certain speed crosswind, the Beaver's couldn't depart or arrive until the wind dropped.  

The Beaver was a 'taildragger', but light aircraft with tricycle undercarriage have similar restrictions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Dave

I had a similar experience at the Royal Gwent. After the TIA escapade, I was required to have an echo cardiogram.  From one room to the other was a walk along the hospital, one flight down, a little stroll, and you're there. Oh No you're not! 2 hospital orderlies, a nurse, and an ambulance attended to take me about 300 yards. I kid you not.... Cardiogram completed, I was now instructed to "wait here". I waited 'here'. For nearly 3 hours I waited 'here'. The ambulance had gone off, and forgotten about me. "Can I walk back to the ward? No!, Stay here & wait". But it's only over there...." Oh dear, was I in trouble..... The nurse held me by my wrist so I couldn't escape...  When the orderlies returned, I had a Grand Tour of Newport in the back of an ambulance,  all the way from one ward to another... 

No complaints about our hospital over here, just a funny episode. 

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Coarse threaded nuts, with a left-hand thread. You don't see those at Waitrose every day!

I am sure my BSA motor bike had some very coarse LH threaded bits. However they may have been British Standard Cycle threads .

Tony

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Which is which? (Or who is whom?)

It looks as if the right hand one was going faster than the tailless one so would suggest that Uncle T (Dave Tanner) was piloting the right hand one and 5hat DH was in the ine that become a manx camel.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Tony_S said:

I am sure my BSA motor bike had some very coarse LH threaded bits. However they may have been British Standard Cycle threads .

Tony

Has this become a Coarse  Thread.

Hat and coat on and heading for a cold beer.

Jamie

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Did anyone have the mis-fortune to see "Paddington 2" yesterday.

My disbelief was started (ok, it's a CGI bear, but that aside) , when a circus train was departing from Platform 1, complete with steam loco.

It further expanded when just across the platform was Tornado with another train due to depart.  Brown Jnr was all of a sudden an expert steam driver....

As both trains raced along some unidentified stretch of line, Brown Snr tells Brown Jnr to 'pull alongside' ?????

Which he managed to do....  after that I went back to my book ("Track Topics - A book of Railway engineering for boys of all ages" - all about the GWR).

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, jamie92208 said:

Has this become a Coarse  Thread.

Hat and coat on and heading for a cold beer.

Jamie

Hoarses for Coarses?

I've just found a cheap music shop. Anything you like for a tenor. Drums are kept in the Bass-ment....

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

My disbelief was started (ok, it's a CGI bear, but that aside) , when a circus train was departing from Platform 1, complete with steam loco.

It further expanded when just across the platform was Tornado with another train due to depart.  Brown Jnr was all of a sudden an expert steam driver....

As both trains raced along some unidentified stretch of line, Brown Snr tells Brown Jnr to 'pull alongside' ?????

Which he managed to do....  after that I went back to my book ("Track Topics - A book of Railway engineering for boys of all ages" - all about the GWR).

Don't worry. I know of younger persons who will tell you they are 'engine drivers'.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

For that sort of thing I just assume it is in another strand of the multiverse and enjoy the general silliness. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

In contrast, the opening sequence of the 2005 film of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe has a very convincing departure of evacuees from Paddington (though there is a bit of 3rd rail in evidence), given that it's a mixture of CGI, SVR, and NZ. Prince Caspian has a good Underground sequence too, featuring the wittily-chosen Strand station, somehow transplanted to the Prague Metro at least at surface level.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Don't let Poly see this, he'll get ideas.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3