Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

The sun is out the skies are blue.

Do I pick today to replace the roof of the store shed?

The only stores I may be short of is bitumastic paint, which I use instead of roofing nails, preferring a no holes approach to applying roofing felt.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Howdy all. Just popped in to say hello. So this is where all the cool kids have vanished to. 

err, hello. 

It may be the night Mail. But it's not that dark... 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

Howdy all. Just popped in to say hello. So this is where all the cool kids have vanished to. 

err, hello. 

Where have you been?

We've been waiting for you to climb aboard.

If you've not already guessed, model railways are allowed here.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

On a completely different tack to heralding the latest arrival, here is another on line magazine I've stumbled across.

https://oscaleresource.com/WP/

Yes, it's all to do with the western side of the pond, but variety of the spice of life.

Of course there is also some excellent modelling articles to read.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

image.png.24b2ebfc0f914768caa13ffc0eb0bd7e.png

This is the goods shed at Hell station in Norway.

And it does freeze over every winter!

On first seeing the photo, I thought "Bl**dy hell, that's a big hip bath".  Is that's Gods waiting room on the right?

Finally, does Hell station have a twinned town?  Pearly gates, Perchance?

Have a great weekend, folks.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

On first seeing the photo, I thought "Bl**dy hell, that's a big hip bath".  Is that's Gods waiting room on the right?

Finally, does Hell station have a twinned town?  Pearly gates, Perchance?

Have a great weekend, folks.

There is a hamlet called Le Paradis close to us. It was on the same rural light railway as our village. I belueve that the waiting shelter still stands. I'll try and get a photo. It closed in the early 50's.

Jamie

• Like 7

Wow, no insta-ban. I must be slipping in my old age. 

Looking back at the phobias early in this thread, as a child I was mortally afraid of heights. Even a footbridge was nerve wracking. This was "cured" when I was 18 and a summer job doing an insulating apprenticeship on an oil sands plant in Northern Alberta. Third day in and I was dangling off the side of a 20m high storage tank with a pair of tin snips removing the outer lining of the tank. After that no problems at all. It did lead me to decide that blue collar work wasn't for me. 10 years ago I was consulting for Crossrail in Canary Wharf. They gave me the desk of doom. It was a corner with floor to ceiling windows to my left and behind on the 29th floor of the Citibank building. No problems, loved the view. 2 years ago I went to the top of Atomium in Brussels. It is well enclosed with only tiny windows. No problem looking out but something in me just went click. Knowing that there was nothing below me as I walked to the edge of the "ball" all the old nervousness came back in one wave. I'm also majorly claustrophobic. I call it Winnie the Pooh syndrome. Afraid of getting stuck in a tunnel or cave. 

If I ever get my mojo back I'll post some modelling, err muddling pics. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

I was once on a detachment to Rygge in Norway in lateish autumn and waiting for a decision concerning our flying programme when someone commented that if we were lucky it would be before hell froze over. One of the Norwegians then said in that case we had about a month to wait as by then Hell would, in fact, be frozen.

It was on the same detachment that we discovered that two bottles of whisky, which cost not a lot in the NAAFI in Germany, would get six of us entry to a first class Oslo nightclub.

Dave

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The sun is out the skies are blue.

Do I pick today to replace the roof of the store shed?

The only stores I may be short of is bitumastic paint, which I use instead of roofing nails, preferring a no holes approach to applying roofing felt.

I have done this in the past, using the bitumastic paint. In this instance, it was a planked roof. I stripped off the old felt, and painted the roof with said bitumastic. Next, I securely tacked a heavy sotton dustsheet over the roof. Following that, I used the paint, let down with thinners by about 25%, enough to allow the paint to be used by a roller. This will soak in to a degree, and it will look patchy, and, it will leak. A second coat of bitumastic, and it starts to look the business. The third coat, and its pretty good, and waterproof. I re-coat my old shed every 2 years, just to retain its weatherproof-ness. Felt is OK, but it lacks a bit in flexibility, which the cotton can out-perform. I only use nails on the outer edges, with battens to secure the edge. That way I can run a fillet of ether the paint, or mastic, to finish up the seal.  

From my project, I can see the roof of my garage. It's telling me "I'm next", so I have my job for 2021.  I haven't finished this one yet..... 

On a lighter footnote, a neighbour in Carisbrooke scoffed "Oh, that cotton sheet will never work!" 2 years later... What was that paint you used?"

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There is a hamlet called Le Paradis close to us. It was on the same rural light railway as our village. I belueve that the waiting shelter still stands. I'll try and get a photo. It closed in the early 50's.

Jamie

If they don't want it, offer to remove it for them.

It would make a nice garden shelter and confuse the archaeologists in the future who will wonder which part of the railway ran through your grounds!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest here's a map showing the route of the line from St Jean d'Angeley aka The Danglies, to St Saviol which is on the Paris Bordeaux main line. The line was slated for closure in 1940 but other events prolonged it's life and it finally closed about 1952.

carte_trave_st_jean_saviol.jpg.62aad261e74d4cfbd2a598c9e1894713.jpg

They ran the line with some pannier tanks built by the Cail company.  One of these days I might have a go at modelling one.  It will not have a copper capped chimney.

We live at Saleignes.  The station is 1 km from the village and Romaziers is another 2kms. Several bits of the trackbed are walk/cyclable. Limalonges is the site of the battle of Potiers in 1356. Yet another place where English Archers gave the French a drubbing.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 6

Hello fellow Night Mailers,

Another hot day today. All this talk of rail modelling is giving me urges to get on with it - so this afternoon after doing my morning stint on the scaffold was sorting out a flooring plan for my timber in the barn (that's what I'm re-pointing at the mo') - there is a lot!

What has made my day was that I sent a cheque to Scottyland on Thursday midday from here in the middle of nowhere, for a bit of unwanted stock and I've just had a message to say that the cheque arrived about 4 hours ago, north of Aberdeen! Whatever people say regarding Royal Mail/La Poste, I've never had any issues - so hats off all round.

How much dark humour is allowed - I do have two that are religious, but they were told to me in a church. I thought they were quite funny, but I shouldn't want to offend anyone - well not accidentally anyway :).

Have a good evening everyone,

Philip

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Now you can do something with them. The boards??? Urrhhh...

I have cleared eight of the boards back to bare wood.

I have to make a decision on how they are disposed of.

I can try and reuse then for 7 mm. I can reuse them as boards for the new waist height 7/8ths line behind the garage, and use the residual for a shunting plank I have planned, or I could offer them to other members of our little modelling group.

Combinations of the above are also possible.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

What sort of dimensions are these boards, please? 

5' x 2.5'. (each)  I have 2 with 4 legs and  8 with two legs on the piggyback system.  There are also 2 frames for the fiddle yard, but without tops as they housed the traverser.

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Premium
On 04/09/2020 at 10:45, Dave Hunt said:

The use of the handwritten letter can have its drawbacks. Many years ago  - in pre-computer days - there were some extracts from RAF officers' confidential reports published (without naming the recipients, of course), one of which read, "This officer has a pronounced Tyneside accent and his handwriting is illegible; we have no effective means of communication."

Dave

That can't be right, I was in the Merch not the RAF.....howay man, gerrit reet.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

For those that might think I work at superhuman speeds,  (only when on the hunt for, or the eating of, cake), I did not carry out any store shed re roofing today.

Having got everything laid out on the drive, the weather looked a bit unfriendly, although only promised a 5% chance of precipitation, you could feel the moisture in the air, so my talents were diverted elsewhere.  It happened three times today, so my work elsewhere felt justified.

I can guarantee that had I taken the roof off the shed, the skies would have found the perfect excuse to open up and deliver silver stair rods.

Tomorrow I've decided to continue the wanton destruction.

3 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

That can't be right, I was in the Merch not the RAF.....howay man, gerrit reet.

I say Dave, a posh stoker:laugh_mini:.

• Funny 8