Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to hear about the itch Richard, have you tried calomine lotion?

Ah, sorry, that kind of itch. Known as modeller's butterfly itch. I think that most of us get it quite frequently. In my case it has featured German, Swiss, Dutch, Spanish, American (mainly Norfolk & Western), G&SW, West Highland, industrial and M&GN layouts in a variety of scales and gauges as well as one-off items of rolling stock and motive power of all descriptions. The amount of time I've spent planning such things over the years would probably have enabled me to have built a fair sized layout of any one of them rather than the few that I have made. Ah, well, such is life I guess.

I went into town this morning on my bike - the first bit of real exercise I've done in the last month since my unexpected sojourn in hospital - and although someone has steepened the roads since last I used them I managed OK. 

Have a good weekend all.

Dave

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Since it's developed into a nice afternoon, and the various domestic tasks have been completed more deconstruction will be attempted.

Although there is a lot more track to lift, the hard bit which was the dismantling of the huge rolling hills, has been completed.

I am loathe to throw things out, so it pleases me to report that  a daughter of our neighbour, who is into restoring antiques and up scaling various bits of furniture she buys at auction, took all the un-ballasted underlay as chair stuffing!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I am pleased to report that the last track lifting went well, although I am not impressed by the track droppers that have been used.  Woodscrews that have been screwed through the underlay and the baseboard, and then, sometimes forced into into a chocolate box connector, other times soldered.  The track has then been glued and pinned, ballasted then soldered to the top of the screw heads.

Demolition is a time consuming activity that requires not brute force and ignorance, but being gentle and thoughtful.  Low cunning is a useful attribute in such circumstances.  But the perseverance pays off as, so far all four points I've removed are in tact, as is nearly all the stripped out track.  The failures are all short lengths of less than about 150 mm in length, although the rail will go into the track making box as they have potential as point components in the future.

A look out of the window reveals another pleasant morning with the rest of the day forecast as fine, so it is time to bit the bullet and re roof the store shed next to the workshop.

First I have to get the old one off which might be quite entertaining and will probably have me referring to the AndrewC book of expletives and insults.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

The electrical connections are interesting. Phil obviously copied the brass screw droppers from me but I use soldered connections under the baseboard. To get the screws out a soldering iron to melt the solder then an old screwdriver to turn it while the solder was still molten.  The use of chocolate  blocks is interesting. Phil was a highly qualified high voltage electrical engineer.  One member saw him at work one wet night.  The description  ran along the lines of. "There was this big pit with sparks coming out and everyone else had stood well back. Phil just walked down and sorted it." Glad to hear that the underlay is being reused.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I have used the screw and solder method at baseboard ends to ensure rail alignment, but for electrical connections I prefer to use solid copper wire, usually 0.8 mm from a 3 core reel, and solder a long L shaped tail under the rail, which then goes through the baseboard and is then connected to a chocolate box connecter.  The advantage being that you can unscrew it from underneath and the track can then be lifted straight out once you'd freed it from the underlay and glued on ballast.

If I have a sleeper hard up against the baseboard joint, then the existing chairs are usually sufficient to maintain alignment , but on the adjoining board I've used a pair of screws.

The next layout will dispense with the screws, and will have L shaped brass rod soldered to the underside of the rail.  The rod will fit into holes pre-drilled in the baseboard and will be held in place by a drop of epoxy.  The ballast and PVA mix will  strengthen this considerably.

Another reason for simple and small track diagrams!

I did try to lay out the basis of the potential new shunting plank using the recovered Peco points from SG.  I've not used the ready to use points before in 7 mm , preferring to make my own to fit the plan:  Now I know why! The Peco stuff takes up a lot more room than I expected.

Not quite back to the drawing board with the scheme, but almost!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The last of the SG boards have now been stripped.

I have a large box of track and points, a couple of boxes of scenic bits and bobs, and a lot of flat boards.

This was carried out instead of the planned roof exchange of the shed.

Fortunately this change of plan was authorised from elsewhere as it was thought that visiting Wickes on a Sunday might not be a brilliant idea.

Of course the catch was I was required to make a batch of bread rolls (which are just about to go in the oven) for our pseudo barbeque this evening.

I think it consists of Bratwurst, coleslaw and other salady bits + the rolls.

Possibly we might also have a jug of Pimms (a large one).

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

Always follow the commanding officers orders my young hippo and you will not go wrong.:D

In passing is that one large jug of Pimm's each or will you be required to share yours with Mrs Hippo:D

A jug is for her.

I have a bucket.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Of course the catch was I was required to make a batch of bread rolls (which are just about to go in the oven) for our pseudo barbeque this evening.

I think it consists of Bratwurst, coleslaw and other salady bits + the rolls.

Mmm, bratties. Food of the gods, especially with chips. Beats even cake.

If there's any left send them over...

Dave 

And just seen that they were cooked over embers - even better! Droolllll.......

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 4

I've managed to flatten the Yeti's battery.  I found my charger (at least 40 years old) but eight hours later the engine isn't turning over.  Ho hum.

Can't do anything for two days, I'm at Waterloo and could be busy.  Bill 

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

Commiserations to Bill but I didn't think that abominable snowmen ran on batteries - where in the Himalayas do they get them recharged? Anyway, have a not too demanding couple of days at Waterloo Bill.

Just about to have breakfast consisting of cold sausage sarnies from last evening's barbecue then comes the clearing up of the wreckage said event left on the patio. It looks as though there must have been about forty people involved, not just four.

Modelling wise I'm part way through applying roof slates to a goods shed, which is taking forever. Once that's done I'll start on the coaling stage, which has an even bigger roof. I'm beginning to dread it when I get around to the loco shed sometime next year as at 4ft 6in by 2ft 6in it threatens to be more like tiling a cricket pitch than anything else. Isn't this hobby nice and relaxing at times?

Have a good week everyone.

Dave

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  

Last night's reading was a dip in at random of an MRJ, I like to read the older ones occasionally as a gem of advice usually pops up to help me in not making too much of a dogs ar....errr, ear of any current project.  Last night's was different though, it brought a photo of a Midland 'Yankee' mogul - Hunt, D, being responsible for its construction apparently.  Crikey, what a cracking loco.  While it wasn't enough to make me go 'Midland', it was truly stunning.  My American modelling is currently in abeyance while I get the Paneer stuff out of my head, and in any case is New Haven in the diesel era, but.....wow.  Now if it was black.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Mmm, bratties. Food of the gods, especially with chips. Beats even cake.

If there's any left send them over...

Dave 

And just seen that they were cooked over embers - even better! Droolllll.......

We have a local supplier who originally just operated as wholesale as well as having a few trucks selling hot food in various markets around SE London. In order to survive they've started selling retail. We've ordered several times. All their brats are imported from Germany as are the pretzels, curry ketchup, mustard, etc. https://sausageman.co.uk/ The cheese stuffed frankfurters are addictive. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Commiserations to Bill but I didn't think that abominable snowmen ran on batteries - where in the Himalayas do they get them recharged? Anyway, have a not too demanding couple of days at Waterloo Bill.

Simples, they plug them into a current currant bush. 

<boom tish> 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The shed roof waits another day, as a new door is sized and hung for one of the bedrooms.

I cannot understand why the 'craftsmen' who hang doors in houses cannot get a standard sized door to fit in the available hole.

I suppose it is easier for then to put in a frame and then trim the door to fit rather than trim the frame to fit the door.

That the resultant door ends up as more of a parallelogram rather than a rectangle is not their problem apparently.

Still, I'm now fitting the door furniture to the new parallelogram now......................... Someone else's problem next time the door has to be replaced.:mocking_mini:

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, bbishop said:

I'm at Waterloo and could be busy.  Bill 

I hope its does not turn out to be a big battle.

Abba good time.

PS - is there a competition for the most number of groan clicks now?

Edited by roundhouse
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I hope its does not turn out to be a big battle.

Abba good time.

PS - is there a competition for the most number of groan clicks now?

He could do a painting because the Waterloo one is missi g from the Hall of Battles at Versailles for some obscure reason.  They also seem to have forgotten a few others.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AndrewC said:

We have a local supplier who originally just operated as wholesale as well as having a few trucks selling hot food in various markets around SE London. In order to survive they've started selling retail. We've ordered several times. All their brats are imported from Germany as are the pretzels, curry ketchup, mustard, etc. https://sausageman.co.uk/ The cheese stuffed frankfurters are addictive. 

We used to stay in a nice hotel in Austria that weather permitting had a Grill Party in place of dinner. We had been to a few and enjoyed the food and the pleasant atmosphere in the garden.  One year we had been out early one morning and returned as Robert the head waiter was putting all the staff through a rehearsal for the barbecue. It was quite a spectacle, he was like a choreographer. 
Tony

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The shed roof waits another day, as a new door is sized and hung for one of the bedrooms.

I cannot understand why the 'craftsmen' who hang doors in houses cannot get a standard sized door to fit in the available hole.

I suppose it is easier for then to put in a frame and then trim the door to fit rather than trim the frame to fit the door.

That the resultant door ends up as more of a parallelogram rather than a rectangle is not their problem apparently.

Still, I'm now fitting the door furniture to the new parallelogram now......................... Someone else's problem next time the door has to be replaced.:mocking_mini:

We really should learn from our european neighbours when it comes to doors.

The door is a plug fit in the frame with a flange on the door, not the frame, to stop it falling through the hole.

Door and frame are supplied together, It is, therefore, the bricklayer's job to make the wall fit round the door frame.

Andy

• Like 4
  • Agree 1