Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

When you can't get cake and cider....... IMG_20200916_121528.jpg.7f043e8fee1ec6e2aca739ab58eaf93e.jpg

There's only 24 Yorkies in the box. 

Get on with the washing up?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

The trip back from Llandudno had to take a slight diversion.  We had travelled out via the A41 to Chester then along the A55.  The planned return was to be via St Asaph, Denbigh, the Horseshoe Pass and then join the A5 at Llangollen.

However having left Denbigh, we found out the the HP was closed to through traffic so we had to divert via Wrexham.

This was quite entertaining as it took me through the area that was frequented by many mineral only railway lines that once crisscrossed the area.  Coedpoeth, Minera and Brymbo all being  in the vicinity.  Nyda might have been impressed by my non satnav direction finding and navigational prowess, but I think that this was negated by the monologue I administered about the various railway routes and reasons for them as well as being one of the final stamping grounds of Swindon's steam locomotive designs.

The statement 'How interesting' when she is bored by the conversation is (allegedly) also used by HM The Queen, although Nyda does not have the luxury of being manoeuvred away shortly after the remark, by a member of staff. 

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As you left St. Asaph, heading for Denbigh, you would have passed through Trefnant.  Just after the crossroads, on the long straight, on the right hand side is a walled, gated entrance to a drive to a large house. We lived in the gatehouse for 13 months just after we got married.

gatelodge.PNG.507ad9d0d62759a53116f4c2094d6e07.PNG

SWMBO worked in H.M.Stanley hospital at the time, which you would also have passed in St Asaph.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

...and an outside toilet...

We have a small tool shed , visitors comment that it looks like an outside lavatory or a sentry box. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Tony_S said:

We have a small tool shed that and visitors comment that it looks like an outside lavatory or a sentry box. 

You don't want to get them mixed up!

I've dropped me rifle down the bog.....................or

I've just speared me ar*e on a bayonet

(Still it'll save going into the local infirmary for a Hemorrhoidectomy.)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

The Yeti is better so off to join its siblings on a branch of the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway.  I'm not, having done something at or near my Achilles tendon.  Sore! 

I have to finish a set of accounts over the next couple of days.  O fabrous  joy.  Not!!

Bill

• Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Today I will do the shed roof.

Hang on I've got a door to paint........................

Maybe rearranging the wording to read.'Hang the shed roof, today I will do a door I've got to paint,' may result in more satisfaction that at least you have achieved one objective? That may restore the descriptive 'Happy' Hippo.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Maybe rearranging the wording to read.'Hang the shed roof, today I will do a door I've got to paint,' may result in more satisfaction that at least you have achieved one objective? That may restore the descriptive 'Happy' Hippo.

Dave

It has been said that 'Happy Hippo' is an oxymoron.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's like a broken record.

Hang on I've got a door to paint........................

See what I mean?

I think when I was sent on a “management” course one of the strategies mentioned was top down planning. I suspect that does mean roof first then door. 

• Funny 7

7 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think when I was sent on a “management” course one of the strategies mentioned was top down planning. I suspect that does mean roof first then door. 

But if there are no walls (presumably, with door), how does the roof remain as a roof rather than a floor? I guess 'top down' planning could fail here!

• Like 3