Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Much as it pained me to do so, I gave the (unopened) box of Yorkie bars to the three chaps that do the recycling.

I hasten to add that this was done under explicit instruction from higher authority.

The moron in me failed to realise until it was too late that had I walked the box out of the door as the recycling wagon arrived, a quick spin pass would have dropped the box neatly onto the workbench just inside the garage.  It could then have been properly recycled at my leisure.

However I was at least allowed to keep the beer.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Idling on the Internet, as Sherry and I soak up Sarthe sun on la terrasse, I received a despatch confirmation from a smaller supplier. His location, Jarrow, reminded me that my father came from the NorthEast. He changed his name circa 1938, a fact we sons only discovered when we went to register his death in 1982. 

So, on a whim, I put his birth-name into Google - and up came a record of his mother, with him shown as the youngest of four children. Now, a dozen or more years ago, Deb - whose maternal grandfather was a genealogist - had done some extensive searching, including finding me a cousin, but I feel had had nothing like the instant success I had just now. 

The Internet can be amazing. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Much as it pained me to do so, I gave the (unopened) box of Yorkie bars to the three chaps that do the recycling.

I hasten to add that this was done under explicit instruction from higher authority.

The moron in me failed to realise until it was too late that had I walked the box out of the door as the recycling wagon arrived, a quick spin pass would have dropped the box neatly onto the workbench just inside the garage.  It could then have been properly recycled at my leisure.

However I was at least allowed to keep the beer.

Isn't that what they said at Nuremberg - I was just following orders, mein fuhrer.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

How do we actually know that HH did actually remove this roof. What evidence is there. For all we know the elves may have done it.

We want photos please of roof actually being removed.

I'm not going to put the old roof back on to take pictures.

I had to make the new roof in three pieces so it was light enough for me to be able to get the 18 mm ply sheets off the ground and roughly aligned.

As I screwed the sheets to the cross members, the embryo roof became much heavier, so was 'manoeuvered' into final position with nudges from a small wooden mallet.

I now need to fit some edge battens to finish off the timberwork.

Once the felt goes on, there are some decorative barge boards to add to make it look far more respectable.

I've come to the conclusion that had the PH been available to assist, we would be finished by now and feasting on some beer.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It's like a broken record.

Today I will do the shed roof.

Hang on I've got a door to paint........................

See what I mean?

I have had that prevarication problem also. I've had to summon up enough courage to get up on the roof. Yesterday, I was 'burned off' the roof, being just too hot. Today had a bit of a breeze, so I managed 2/3rds of the ridge cap. 

Hopefully, I'll get some photos and a proper report.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ref44 said:

Suffered from this farce. I was sent on a course about improving performance on my penultimate working day in the Met. Ch Insp, " what will you do in the coming weeks to meet our objectives?"

Me, "I'm clearing my desk  and emptying my locker on my last working day after 30 years" Ch Insp, "Why are you here then?" Me, "Management box ticking to get x% of supervisors on this course" End of questioning!

An Insp that I knew in W Yorks was early turn cover at Pudsey one Saturday morning. At 10.30 am he walked into the Ch.Insp's office and handed in his request to retire on a certain date a month hence. He then said, I've got X days of Annual leave, and am owed Y days off in lieu, making up to a month.  Goodbye . He then walked out.  I loved it.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I finally made use of the Dremmel that my brother bought me for looking after the shopping for his kids during lockdown. The stand is very handy as it allows the drill to be turned through 90 degrees. So it was good for turning into a mini grinding wheel today to grind down the cast weight in this Proto 2000 loco to allow space for the wiring on a sound decoder. This is a commission and one of eight locos that I currently have from one customer. Five down and three to go. Blutak is excellent for holding decoders and speakers in place. Despite that it does go hard over time anything fixed to it generally stays there unlike tape.

It's now beer o'clock.

20200917_140748.jpg

20200917_140908.jpg

20200917_143703.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

37 minutes ago, petethemole said:

I don't know about those pixies, but if ours were involved the roof would have disappeared.

You be careful talking about the little folk like that. That be fairyphobia  that is and there b a law against that now. 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, roundhouse said:

...snip...

20200917_143703.jpg

Either it is an optical disillusion or the cab end is sitting too high.

...snip... It's now beer o'clock.

It is always beer o'clock! :jester:

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

You be careful talking about the little folk like that. That be fairyphobia  that is and there b a law against that now. 

No, they disappear things, it's what they do, they're good at it and we live with them.  Sometimes the things reappear where they were, sometimes elsewhere,  sometimes when you've bought a new one, and sometimes not at all.  There is a strong thaumic resonance field here.  I dread to think what they could get up to with an entire shed roof.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I finally made use of the Dremmel that my brother bought me for looking after the shopping for his kids during lockdown. The stand is very handy as it allows the drill to be turned through 90 degrees. So it was good for turning into a mini grinding wheel today to grind down the cast weight in this Proto 2000 loco to allow space for the wiring on a sound decoder. This is a commission and one of eight locos that I currently have from one customer. Five down and three to go. Blutak is excellent for holding decoders and speakers in place. Despite that it does go hard over time anything fixed to it generally stays there unlike tape.

It's now beer o'clock.

20200917_140748.jpg

I have one of the first of the Dremel drill stands.

It was useless with a huge amount of play in the slide, which meant that you could not drill consistently as the bit would move in whatever direction if fancied whenever you applied downward pressure.

Yours looks a much better design.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I finished half a roof for  building over forty feet long today. Admittedly it was to 1/43 scale but still..... 

I've awarded myself a rather nice Eccles cake and a generous glass of Tamnavulin as a reward. But then it's well known that I'm easily pleased.

Dave 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I finished half a roof for  building over forty feet long today. Admittedly it was to 1/43 scale but still..... 

I've awarded myself a rather nice Eccles cake and a generous glass of Tamnavulin as a reward. But then it's well known that I'm easily pleased.

Dave 

That's teasing Dave, mentioning Eccles Cakes when supplies have dried up over here. However supplies of Scottish Med haven't, a bottlevof Ardmore appeared two days ago. I must have been a good boy.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

An Insp that I knew in W Yorks was early turn cover at Pudsey one Saturday morning. At 10.30 am he walked into the Ch.Insp's office and handed in his request to retire on a certain date a month hence. He then said, I've got X days of Annual leave, and am owed Y days off in lieu, making up to a month.  Goodbye . He then walked out.  I loved it.

Jamie

I was rather pleased when I got to the point that I had a month's holiday due, with a view to doing that.  Circumstances didn't lead to me following through.

Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, figworthy said:

I was rather pleased when I got to the point that I had a month's holiday due, with a view to doing that.  Circumstances didn't lead to me following through.

Adrian

For various reasons my parting was not pleasurable but I did make it work for me. I saved all my overtime as time off for 18 months and walked out in April but got paid till the middle of July with all the leave etc that I was owed. For various reasons I had no conscience about screwing them for everything I legally could.   As I've now been drawing my pension for 18 years I can look back in amusement and with some satisfaction.  I enjoyed most of my career and was lucky in that regard but the last 2 years were not pleasant.  Satisfaction came later when I watched boss after boss get sacked, and or arrested for various forms of corruption. However there is no truth in the rumour that I was behind a certain sacked Deputy Chief Con who fell down some airplane steps and ended up paralysed for 6 months. I was nowhere near the scene.

Jamie

• Like 7
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2