Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

That's teasing Dave, mentioning Eccles Cakes when supplies have dried up over here. However supplies of Scottish Med haven't, a bottlevof Ardmore appeared two days ago. I must have been a good boy.

Jamie

Sorry Jamie, I forgot about the failure of the authorities in the Charente to ensure adequate supplies of  Eccles cakes. ..

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

53 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

For various reasons my parting was not pleasurable but I did make it work for me. I saved all my overtime as time off for 18 months and walked out in April but got paid till the middle of July with all the leave etc that I was owed. For various reasons I had no conscience about screwing them for everything I legally could.   As I've now been drawing my pension for 18 years I can look back in amusement and with some satisfaction.  I enjoyed most of my career and was lucky in that regard but the last 2 years were not pleasant.  Satisfaction came later when I watched boss after boss get sacked, and or arrested for various forms of corruption. However there is no truth in the rumour that I was behind a certain sacked Deputy Chief Con who fell down some airplane steps and ended up paralysed for 6 months. I was nowhere near the scene.

Jamie

Trust a copper to have an alibi.:P

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

What do you call a man with no arms and legs who swam the English channel?

Clever Dick!

Croizon

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1313389/Limbless-man-swims-Channel-Philippe-Croizon-crosses-10-hrs-ahead-schedule.html

Google's your friend

Edited by roundhouse
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 3

Well do the various inclines on our walkway and patio outside, the railway had for be moved upstairs into the “library.” A room filled with books an old cars and about 120 books on BR Western Region Steam. For the still under construction garage layout, not mine though, it’s @kiwiokies (aka mè pater). It’s also where the tube amplifier lives.

Anyways enough of that. The “layout” is really just a big oval with a turnout leading to the station and yard. Sadly do to the BL coupling system one can’t reverse the coaches into it. Wagons might be different though, but I haven’t got any to try that on. One siding could use extending however. Apologies for the poor lighting.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2020 at 12:19, Happy Hippo said:

There's only 24 Yorkies in the box. 

Not nearly enough then......

20 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Much as it pained me to do so, I gave the (unopened) box of Yorkie bars to the three chaps that do the recycling.

I hasten to add that this was done under explicit instruction from higher authority.

NOOOOOOOO.............

Hippo or Mouse?

14 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

An Insp that I knew in W Yorks was early turn cover at Pudsey one Saturday morning. At 10.30 am he walked into the Ch.Insp's office and handed in his request to retire on a certain date a month hence. He then said, I've got X days of Annual leave, and am owed Y days off in lieu, making up to a month.  Goodbye . He then walked out.  I loved it.

Jamie

A friend of mine worked in an Engineering Firm; he told only one workmate that he was to turn 65 the following day, but swore him to secrecy.  The following day he went into the Bosses' office and handed in his pass and keys to a rather bemused Boss.

"I'm 65 today - I'm now retired".  He turned and walked out.

To say they were somewhat embarrassed would be an understatement, by all accounts.

• Like 6
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

In my Croydon Control days - 1969-73 - one of the duty janitors in the building was a funny wizened old man called Enoch. Apart from the 9 or 10 of us, he was the only other person in the 10-storey building at night, and his office was right next to ours, so we were 'aware' of him. As well as patrolling the building, he spent a lot of time with the mechanical floor-polisher, so was not idle. Some years after I moved on, poor Enoch was found dead in his home. It emerged that he had been sampling the floor polish for quite some time - and he was 78, and should have been pensioned off many years before!

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes people can try to be helpful in an unwittingly cruel way.

There has been an inquiry from another member of the household if the old shed roof could be used as a baseboard for a  railway for the grandchildren.

Having observed the deconstruction of SG over the past weeks, and seen the pile of timberwork that currently resides in the garage, the need for yet another baseboard is quite low on my list of priorities at this present time.

However, recycling the roof is not without merit, as it would be simple to trim off the rotten bits and make a new, smaller roof.  All I'd then need is some framing and cladding to make a mini shed!

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Sorry Jamie, I forgot about the failure of the authorities in the Charente to ensure adequate supplies of  Eccles cakes. ..

A suitable fine for such an appalling breach of mess ettiquette, will be levied in due course. Probably in liquid form on a suitable occasion.

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sometimes people can try to be helpful in an unwittingly cruel way.

There has been an inquiry from another member of the household if the old shed roof could be used as a baseboard for a  railway for the grandchildren.

Having observed the deconstruction of SG over the past weeks, and seen the pile of timberwork that currently resides in the garage, the need for yet another baseboard is quite low on my list of priorities at this present time.

However, recycling the roof is not without merit, as it would be simple to trim off the rotten bits and make a new, smaller roof.  All I'd then need is some framing and cladding to make a mini shed!

Just make a lean to extension to the existing shed.  Perhaps it could be used as a repisitory for piles of redundant panniers when you finally succumb to presure and go Midland.

Jamie

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A suitable fine for such an appalling breach of mess ettiquette, will be levied in due course. Probably in liquid form on a suitable occasion.

Jamie

Enough soapy water and instructions to wash and polish a pannier tank would  fulfil your judgment.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just make a lean to extension to the existing shed.  Perhaps it could be used as a repisitory for piles of redundant panniers when you finally succumb to presure and go Midland.

Jamie

I did build a G1 Project  loco once, so does that count?

I also have Neil Parkhouse's first three volumes of Railways in Gloucestershire which has considerable (ex) Midland presence in Vol 3.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I did build a G1 Project  loco once, so does that count?

I also have Neil Parkhouse's first three volumes of Railways in Gloucestershire which has considerable (ex) Midland presence in Vol 3.

Was there any other railway than the Midland in Gloucestershire? If so, it's escaped my attention. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Jamie

Pressure?  Common sense, more like......:laugh_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

A remarkable  discovery has bern made in the eastern Charente  Maritime, 2 uneaten Eccles Cakes. I wonder what I'll be having for supper tomorrow.  I've also finished scanning slides and negatives for the time being. About 10,000 have been done since April. 

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Feeling suitably chastened for upsetting Jamie in an unguarded moment by mentioning Ec**es ca*es I am practising for when I make amends by supplying not only said confectionery but also a libation of the malted variety. The brew I am sampling in this practice session is a Welsh example by the name of Penderyn, which I believe is much admired by a certain HH. Added to his first hesitant steps towards coming over to the enlightened brethren of the Best Way mentioned earlier, this gives me hope for his eventual total conversion as Penderyn comes in a very attractive Midland Red box and could well be exercising its subliminal message whilst our Muddy Hollow resident is enjoying it.   

I'm sure the panniers can be melted down and used for ballast.

Dave 

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

A remarkable  discovery has bern made in the eastern Charente  Maritime, 2 uneaten Eccles Cakes. I wonder what I'll be having for supper tomorrow. 

Does that get me off the hook Jamie?

Dave

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm sure the panniers can be melted down and used for ballast.

Technically,  this is probably not a good idea, metal that has been molten is unlikely to make good ballast.

Morally,  it's just wrong.

• Funny 3