Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Good grief, I went to the same school as George Harrison and now tomparry harry, who shared a birthday with Harrison, and I are posting on the same RNWeb forum!!!! This surely proves that the earth is being manipulated by beings from another dimension.

Dave  

Be careful Dave. I went to Shropshire once..... One of our teachers at school was related to Harry Houdini, but his name escapes me....  

• Funny 4

Well as I was a’ winding my George the Fifth this evening, I heard a horrific tearing noise.

The spring snapped.

Well I knew it was a only a very short matter of time before it happened, since this engine was made in 1913, and it’s had a very hard life with much winding. Thankfully I’ve got a replacement fully serviced mech lined up for it. 

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

In our statistics class, there was much betting on with the professor about the probability that 2 people in the class (of 50 or 60) would have the same birthday.  I was tempted to put up my hand to ask if "the twins" were in that day.  Professor won; I wonder if he tried to collect.

(AFAIK, we didn't have twins.)

My father died on my sister's birhday.

• Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, BR60103 said:

In our statistics class, there was much betting on with the professor about the probability that 2 people in the class (of 50 or 60) would have the same birthday.  I was tempted to put up my hand to ask if "the twins" were in that day.  Professor won; I wonder if he tried to collect.

I'm sure I've read that in a group of 26 or more, the odds are better than even that 2 people will have the same birthday. I can't remember where I read it, but the figure of 26 did stick.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

In 1984, as a result of organisational change, I started a new job, heading a very small team. We worked in parallel with one other small team, and their team leader shared my birthday - as did the overall head of the function of about 40 people. In my team, two of the three guys were the same age to the day, but were unrelated.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/09/2020 at 23:09, bbishop said:

I checked about the flu jab on my way home - expected in about three weeks - just a reminder for everyone to get AN INFLUENZA VACCINATION.

I was discussing the flu vacc. with a friend last night - his GP told him last year that the vacc. from docs. covers more strains that that from chemists (13 instead of 7?).  After an internet trawl this morning I can find no evidence of this, only evidence of a bit of a turf war between docs and chemists.  Pretty iffy practice on the part of my mate's GP, if that is the case....

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

16 minutes ago, polybear said:

I was discussing the flu vacc. with a friend last night - his GP told him last year that the vacc. from docs. covers more strains that that from chemists (13 instead of 7?).  After an internet trawl this morning I can find no evidence of this, only evidence of a bit of a turf war between docs and chemists.  Pretty iffy practice on the part of my mate's GP, if that is the case....

There is no difference, the same ones are available from the both pharmacies and GP practices.

Robert  (Pharmacist)

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a 'flu jab; on purpose. I consider myself what is called a 'at risk' person. I had a work colleague who would have a jab, and then be off sick for the next four months. I rationalised that if it screws him up that bad, then I'll take my chances....   My colleague and I are the same age, build, etc.  It's the same with things like cough & cold remedies. They taste nice, but...

Take large-ish mug. add honey, lemon juice & whisky in equal parts. Top up with hot water, and imbibe.  It's probably the best placebo I've ever tasted. 

In fact, after a couple of 'placebos', I'm pretty good..... Aargh, Jimmy......

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

9 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

There is no difference, the same ones are available from the both pharmacies and GP practices.

Robert  (Pharmacist)

I seem to recall, forget where, that there are different versions of the vaccinations due to it not being possible to accurately predict which strain of flu will be most prevalent. It being down to the purchaser/provider to request the one that they believe to be the most effective/cost effective.

4 hours ago, BR60103 said:

Mathematically the odds are 50/50 people out of a group of 23, 2 will share a birthday. It is known as the birthday paradox and can be found here: https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/#:~:text=In a room of just,-intuitive%2C and completely true. 

Statistically, for a sample of just 2 people to share, it is not 1:365 but slightly less as births are not evenly distributed through out the year. If they were, the actual odds would be 1:365.24 to incorporate leap years. For example there are more people born in June, July, August, than are born in November, December, January. Having said that, I know 3 people that have Feb 29th as a birthday. Our family tends to all have birthdays between the end of May and mid August. 7 of which all have birthdays between July 1-5. 

I'm considering a jab this year. In the past I've avoided it like the plague. Once upon a time I took my mum for her annual stabbing. The nurse convinced me to do the same. Both of us were sick as hell afterwards for over 2 weeks. Last time either of us had one. I get severe colds with flu like symptoms 4 times a year. These are almost perfectly timed for the solstice and equinox. I'm due one now but with very little outside contact due to covid, I may get away with it. Didn't get one in June either, but March...... blergh. 

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It is quite misty here. Very Autumnal. 
Last year there were two flu vaccines available, one for over 65s and one for under 65s. I don’t think there was any competition between pharmacy and surgery. The pharmacist asked if I had had my jab and when I said yes , at the doctors, he said he was pleased. 
I haven’t ever had a bad reaction to flu vaccine and haven’t had flu since having them. 
I am not going anywhere today. Parcelforce should be delivering a small package. 
Tony

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I go to the pharmacy for my flu jab.

If I booked one at the doctors I'd be probably be waiting  for sometime in 2021!

I like the sound of Ian's placebo.  Nyda's father swore by it for colds and flu.

Although I'd hesitate to try that mixture with a single malt.

Mentioning the single malt reminds me to ask Dave whether he has finished the Penderyn yet?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

We're fortunate that neitherBeth or I have ever had a reaction to a flue jab so we get one every year. Over here the district nurse comes to give them after we collect the doses from the pharmacy. It works well.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I have a bottle Penderyn Celt hereabouts. I haven't tried it yet, however. I've had a look on their website, and it says it has a Kosher certificate. I think it's to stop you mixing the whisky with bacon sandwiches. 

There are all sorts of whisky here; BushMills, jameson,  Penderyn, etc.  The problem is, I can't really drink too much of it. It turns me from mild-mannered Smith into a raging lunatic who can & will pick trouble with anyone.  Any gratuities I've received are welcomed with gratitude, but used sparingly. There is a bottle of Bells knocking about here, which Kim uses for her Christmas cakes. Funnily enough, her Christmas cakes are very well received & enjoyed. I wonder why....

With full & unreserved apologies if I've offended anyone... No single malt was harmed during the production of this post....

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I have a bottle Penderyn Celt hereabouts. I haven't tried it yet, however. I've had a look on their website, and it says it has a Kosher certificate. I think it's to stop you mixing the whisky with bacon sandwiches. 

There are all sorts of whisky here; BushMills, jameson,  Penderyn, etc.  The problem is, I can't really drink too much of it.

I can, I'm one of those lucky people who mellows as the alcohol/blood level rises

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My fathers father died on Dad's birthday; 19 years later Mum passed on Dad's birthday.

I've had the flu jab since passing 65, never any ill effects.  Prior to retirement I would get a chest infection every winter, without fail, for at least 15 years.  It would start just after Xmas or New Year with a cold, develop into a sore throat and then a chesty cough that would last for weeks.  I only took a few days off at the height of it, as after the cough developed I didn't actually feel ill.  Since getting the flu jab I haven't even had a cold that amounted to more than two days of sniffles, usually seen off by a 'placebo'.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
Just now, petethemole said:

My fathers father died on Dad's birthday; 19 years later Mum passed on Dad's birthday.

I've had the flu jab since passing 65, never any ill effects.  Prior to retirement I would get a chest infection every winter, without fail, for at least 15 years.  It would start just after Xmas or New Year with a cold, develop into a sore throat and then a chesty cough that would last for weeks.  I only took a few days off at the height of it, as after the cough developed I didn't actually feel ill.  Since getting the flu jab I haven't even had a cold that amounted to more than two days of sniffles, usually seen off by a 'placebo'.

I hesitated to report the same. Clinically, it should not be the case that a flu jab gives any protection against colds.

It is true that I have had fewer colds since having the flu jab each year. I just wonder if there is confusion of cause and effect. I have probably had a somewhat changed lifestyle over that same period where I have been mixing less with cold sufferers.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't had a cold since the initial lockdown started.

The continued isolation we have adopted, has had a similar effect.

It's a pity it doesn't work for other ailments such as a sore back after lugging around stuff that is far too heavy for one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I still suffer from coughing most mornings whrn I get up if there is a temperature change outside, so this time of the year I do cough quite a bit but luckily not when we go out. I haven't had a bad cold since I packed up commuting two years ago. I am reallyplrased that I did otherwiseI wouldbr in troubleat work more than in the past as I would be told off forpasding a cough around the officebut in troubleif I took time off work for a silly little cold. This year I think that I would be sacked which ever I did.

Currently on the workbench is a commission to install a sound decoder in this Sperry Rail Service detector car. Its HO brass made in Japan for Hallmark Models in Texas. An old model and one roof headlight broken with the other missing do I am fabricating a new one out of styrene. I have a feeling that its going to require a stay alive as there are only two wheels on each truck that pick up the juice.

20200921_132405.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Currently on the workbench is a commission to install a sound decoder in this Sperry Rail Service detector car. Its HO brass made in Japan for Hallmark Models in Texas. 

Bobbye Hall. She retired from the model business at 92....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4