Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

Is it me ?

This popped up on the World of Railways News thread -

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-b3d025-176-scale-oo-gauge-ransome--rapier-6-ton--petrolelectric--yard-crane-1-49762-p.asp

A Ransome & Rapier 6t crane. It's 3D printed, so not the highest level of detail.

But the price - £39.95 ???

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Bobbye Hall. 

One of the later modified versions of the Hall in the 79xx series:

7930    Lickham

7931     B8gger

7932     S*d

7933     F**k

7934     Naff

7935     Bobbye

7936     Jerry

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Is it me ?

This popped up on the World of Railways News thread -

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laser-b3d025-176-scale-oo-gauge-ransome--rapier-6-ton--petrolelectric--yard-crane-1-49762-p.asp

A Ransome & Rapier 6t crane. It's 3D printed, so not the highest level of detail.

But the price - £39.95 ???

I think the decimal point might be in the wrong place:laugh_mini:.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

7930    Lickham

7931     B8gger

7932     S*d

7933     F**k

7934     Naff

7935     Bobbye

7936     Jerry

Sorry old chap, but you forgot....

7937     Morning

7938 Night

7939 Dinner

7940 Dance

7941 Seenham

7942 After

7943 Bingo

7944 Food

7945 Freefor

7946 Afternoon

7947 Evening

7948 Goodnight

7949 Long

There may be more.... lots more...

Edited by tomparryharry
yes.
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, tomparryharry said:

Sorry old chap, but you forgot....

7937     Morning

7938 Night

7939 Dinner

7940 Dance

7941 Seenham

7942 After

7943 Bingo

7944 Food

7945 Freefor

There may be more.... lots more...

In my defence, I didn't have the time to list them all:

I do know that had it still been in service, 7946 Stuart, would probably have needed renaming.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

I seem to recall, forget where, that there are different versions of the vaccinations due to it not being possible to accurately predict which strain of flu will be most prevalent. It being down to the purchaser/provider to request the one that they believe to be the most effective/cost effective.

Basically there are three versions of the vaccine and the ‘choice’ is mainly based on the patients age.

Regards Robert

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I often wondered if the 7xxxx Britannias had another series, what would be their names? 

Florence Nightingale

Jane Austen

Samuel Pepys

Charles Darwin

Bronte

No doubt more significant names.

And the story goes that when they were naming the others they were busy drawing the names out of the foreman's hat and when they finished they realised that they couldn't really name 70047  seven and a quarter.

Jamie

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

In answer to HH, despite the temptation I haven't yet finished the bottle of Penderyn, although I do have to admit that it is the second one I've had since lockdown started and in the interests of international relations I do intersperse it with the odd drop of Scottish and occasionally Irish happy water. Fortunately when I have a few I turn into everyone's friend and have even been known to see a pannier tank without having the urge to shout naughty words.

Stay safe and stay well everyone.

Dave

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

7930    Lickham

7931     B8gger

7932     S*d

7933     F**k

7934     Naff

7935     Bobbye

7936     Jerry

Proceeding further on with HH's naming committee, I would like to propose additional names, based upon  the 78xx 

7830  Truculent

7831  Difficult

7832  Lighthearted

7833  Debauched

7834  Insolent

7835  Distracted

7836  Courteous

No doubt more.... 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Proceeding further on with HH's naming committee, I would like to propose additional names, based upon  the 78xx 

7830  Truculent

7831  Difficult

7832  Lighthearted

7833  Debauched

7834  Insolent

7835  Distracted

7836  Courteous

No doubt more.... 

Would readers please note that Ian is currently practicing a potential lockdown pastime.

Another candidate is (finishing) roofing the shed.

Then there is mowing the lawn with a pair of scissors and painting the house with an eyebrow brush.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Would readers please note that Ian is currently practicing a potential lockdown pastime.

Another candidate is (finishing) roofing the shed.

Then there is mowing the lawn with a pair of scissors and painting the house with an eyebrow brush.

Yes, I am back on the roof as of 10:00 this morning. I seem to have lost some 'drive' of late.  However, I'm back now. 

The potential lockdown over here is very real, as of 18:00 hours today. The upside of this is the anticipated lack of diversion, so with luck & following wind (oo-err, missus) work will resume.

I do know a story about an eyebrow brush, but divulging the contents here will get me banned from the Forum.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

And we are off again:  This time with a bit of amalgamation and what if theory.

Having covered both Common Branch Junction and the Cardiff Railway, I have occasionally thought about what would have happened if the CR had been given running rights through to Treforest to connect with the TVR and the fabled circle line from Coryton to Radyr had been built.

The location is mid way between Coryton and Tongwynlais  on the CR route, whilst the turn of the century CBJ track plan provides us with an idea of what the junction would have looked like.  The eagle eyed will notice that the siding off the CBJ Treferig route has been converted into a loop for exchange purposes and the quarry line is worked as a long siding so is only signalled with discs. I've just plonked the major signals in at present, although I suspect I either need an advanced started in the Coryton direction or a goods signal to  allow an exit from the quarry branch/siding onto the main line.

As a steam era railway, the traffic could be quite intense, and I suspect that in real life the Coryton to Nantgarw/Treforest line would never have been singled, but this is, after all, a bit of fun.

Likewise, extending into into the diesel era would more than likely mean that J32 of the M4 might need to find another home! 

img015.jpg.78fda886632c8a3ba80d28a4e7e2ca0b.jpg

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I'm currently tiling the roof of my 7mm goods shed, which is beginning to feel a bit like cutting the grass with nail scissors. Eventually I'll be making the 4ft 6in x 2ft loco shed, which will probably take the rest of my life. We do have fun with our hobby, don't we?

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm currently tiling the roof of my 7mm goods shed, which is beginning to feel a bit like cutting the grass with nail scissors. Eventually I'll be making the 4ft 6in x 2ft loco shed, which will probably take the rest of my life. We do have fun with our hobby, don't we?

Dave

I have a Curio cutter for such menial tasks.  

CAD sometimes has it's advantages.

You just generate a .dxf file and tell the  Curio to cut it out!

You then only have to add strips rather than the individual slates.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Had your theory about Treforest (Cardiff) Junction had taken place, then the main TVR route would have been buried under the A470, and the Cardiff route would be the main taken for trains. A lot of the estate traffic would have been on the correct side. There would be a branch down to the Upper Boat Power station, with an extension to Willowford.  The Barry Railway branch would have taken a greater significance, with the section Trehafod-Tonteg doing what it was meant to do, namely, by-passing Pontypridd. 

Pure supposition, you understand.... 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Ah, but then you miss out on the joyful authenticity of individually pinning the slates to the battens.

The joys of S7, where fantasy meets purgatory.

I'll now have to go and check to see if Dave has made a roof out of scale sized stringers and trusses.

The question is, if he hasn't, should I jump up onto the baseboard and delicately tread all over the errant structure and make him start all over again? Or should I turn a blind eye?

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

You ought to consider how much detail you'd see flying overhead from one of your previous modes of transport. If the roof would look ok from that perspective, it's probably not necessary to trample on it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've seen a row of women on their hands & knees in South Korea cutting a park lawn with Scissors.  A friend (who lived there for a couple of years) told me they were on state benefits, so had to earn their crust.  Apparently they find jobs pretty quickly.....

A pro-decorator friend (RIP) couldn't believe how I managed to get such a straight paint line down the pebble-dashing (guttering to floor) when painting the outside of my house with masonry paint -  he asked how I did it.  I told him:  drop a plumb bob down the wall on the paint line, put a couple of screws in the wall top & bottom then stretch a string taught between the two screws.   Then use a Humbrol Modeller's Brush.  At first he thought I was joking.  Then he realised I wasn't..... :yahoo:

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

You ought to consider how much detail you'd see flying overhead from one of your previous modes of transport. If the roof would look ok from that perspective, it's probably not necessary to trample on it.

By the time 17 Sqn have overflown Dave's abode with me as an underslung load, there'd be no roof on his house let alone the goods shed!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5