Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium

OK, it's time to fess up - I am using self adhesive strips for the goods shed roof, having started with individual slates but then deciding that I had neither the patience nor the time left on earth to continue with that method, authentic though it may be, and that I had to resort to the simpler method despite the risk of being drummed out of the S7 Group. To compound the heresy I didn't even make the strips myself but had them made for me by Monks Gate models, AKA Tricky of RMW fame, and jolly good they are. Even so, applying the strips in straight lines is fiddly and repetitive and has taken up three modelling sessions, hence my earlier whinge. And the prospect of doing a double hipped roof 4ft 6in x 2ft 6in when I get around to building the loco shed is still daunting.

And do please pay attention HH - I have taken you to task before about confusing 17 Sqn and 7 Sqn - the latter being the Wokka operators. I've spoken to them about using you as an underslung load but they aren't sure that a single Chinook would have enough power, taking into account the amount of cake that would have to be added to the lift. 

TTFN people

Dave  

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

This picture shows a Paul Windle Ruston about to pick up some rusting tipper trucks from the time they are was an active quarry. They are a mixture of new Peco products and Jouef Decauvilles. The permanent way gang have a shed in the goods yard but looks like they’re out on a job. FE137F51-C210-46E2-96A4-520050D119ED.jpeg.c8931d8a4694f039e798d7c2c59ca8f1.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

As can be seen the layout is substantially complete but I would appreciate any suggestions for improvements etc. I would like some workmen for around the shed area but the ones I’ve got and have seen look a bit cliche in appearance. By the tractor I’m going to add the remains of a bonfire, a blackened area with a few bits of burnt match sticks. I have some working gas lamps (obviously electrically powered!) from DCC supplies but don’t really know whether the WHR (Yorkshire) would have gone to the expense. 

I hope the wait has been worth it.

Robert

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

And do please pay attention HH - I have taken you to task before about confusing 17 Sqn and 7 Sqn - the latter being the Wokka operators. I've spoken to them about using you as an underslung load but they aren't sure that a single Chinook would have enough power, taking into account the amount of cake that would have to be added to the lift. 

I 'd like to say I built a swing like cradle and I fly around in between two F35s, enabling me to get to cake samplings a lot quicker.

Actually, the truth is far less interesting:  I have a problem with the numbers 7 and 17, I keep getting them mixed up, even when ordering stuff or accounting.  Adding up lots of ones and sevens is a nightmare.  I have to treble and even quadruple check my figures.

This is probably why  I have  ended up with 7 brake vans instead of  1.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

5 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

As can be seen the layout is substantially complete but I would appreciate any suggestions for improvements etc. I would like some workmen for around the shed area but the ones I’ve got and have seen look a bit cliche in appearance. By the tractor I’m going to add the remains of a bonfire, a blackened area with a few bits of burnt match sticks. I have some working gas lamps (obviously electrically powered!) from DCC supplies but don’t really know whether the WHR (Yorkshire) would have gone to the expense. 

I hope the wait has been worth it.

Robert

My one suggestion would be to remove most of the road vehicles. It would be unlikely for anybody working their to have a Sunbeam, or Volkswagen. The what I believe to be a Morris of some sort seems to fit in quite well though. That’s my humble opinion, whether it was necessary to tell the world about it I know not :wacko:.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Even so, applying the strips in straight lines is fiddly and repetitive and has taken up three modelling sessions, hence my earlier whinge. And the prospect of doing a double hipped roof 4ft 6in x 2ft 6in when I get around to building the loco shed is still daunting.

I have built a few quarter-inch scale structure kits - i.e. US O Gauge. Rooves tend to be a solid piece of wood upon which has been etched/printed a lot of parallel lines, as a guide for the provided strips of shingles. Still tedious but marginally more prat-proof. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

My one suggestion would be to remove most of the road vehicles. It would be unlikely for anybody working their to have a Sunbeam, or Volkswagen. The what I believe to be a Morris of some sort seems to fit in quite well though. That’s my humble opinion, whether it was necessary to tell the world about it I know not :wacko:.

and get a couple of bicycles in.. or and , an old motorbike ,maybe with sidecar.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I have built a few quarter-inch scale structure kits - i.e. US O Gauge. Rooves tend to be a solid piece of wood upon which has been etched/printed a lot of parallel lines, as a guide for the provided strips of shingles. Still tedious but marginally more prat-proof. 

I bought  two (one long and one short) of these:

https://www.banggood.com/Drillpro-200-or-300-or-400mm-Stainless-Steel-Precision-Marking-T-Ruler-Hole-Positioning-Measuring-Ruler-Woodworking-Scriber-Scribing-Tool-p-1601316.html?rmmds=search&ID=6283067&cur_warehouse=CN

You use a 2H clutch pencil and place the 0.5mm lead in the appropriate hole and it will draw a straight parallel line along a long edge in one pass.  It has 0.25 mm increments which is good enough for most modelling applications.

Edited by Happy Hippo
Link insert
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I bought  two (one long and one short) of these:

image.png.3748c7555c4a4f15d1751502b3b5dd38.png

You use a 2H clutch pencil and place the 0.5mm lead in the appropriate hole and it will draw a straight parallel line along a long edge in one pass.  It has 0.25 mm increments which is good enough for most modelling applications.

And what, pray , is the name of such a thing, that I may go and search for said item..

Thanks..

Edit

Most odd your link to bang good wasn't there when I first looked at the post, now it is.. thanks for the info..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, TheQ said:

And what, pray , is the name of such a thing, that I may go and search for said item..

Thanks..

Edit

Most odd your link to bang good wasn't there when I first looked at the post, now it is.. thanks for the info..

Originally I just dropped the photo in, but it was too small to be of use.

I put the link in after, realising there would probably be a stampede to find out where to get them.

(Other suppliers are available.)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, stampede there was, I  have ordered the short one for Modelling and a long one for general woodworking..

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago I had a number or part built 3.5" and 5" gauge locos. I had been given these, sadly, by the widows of model engineers who had gone to that greatest of railway workshops. (Up or down which ever takes your fancy).

I never had any use for these as I had neither the workshop facilities nor the time to finish them off.

So I gave them away to others who were looking for projects to work with.  although I was offered money, I took nothing, not wanting to profit from the generosity of those who's given them to me originally.

Since then, I seem to have been looked down upon very favourably, and today was a fine example.

I have just been given about £400 worth of various Albion Alloy metal section, both spray and tins of Humbrol paints, various fluxes metal blacks and solder and a storage rack/cabinet.

'I know you will use this stuff, or get it to people who will use it and appreciate it. Just give a donation to the Air Ambulance' was the request.

So perhaps it is true that you reap what you sow.

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Afternoon, haven't posted for a couple of days.  Yesterday was a trip into Bromley and then preparing for my Zoom German lesson and today I have a telephone consultation  with my GP about my heel.  Which may result in a face to heel consultation in the distant future.  I checked my BP, 131/76, so not too bad.  I may even do some modelling this afternoon!  Bill

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

So perhaps it is true that you reap what you sow.

In vivid contrast to a thread elsewhere on RMweb, where Hornby did a limited edition loco named for Captain Tom Moore, with part of the sale price going to his favoured NHS Charities. Jolly good. But not a few scumbags have snapped these up and are now selling them to the highest bidder on ebay, thus actually making a tidy profit out of a charitable effort. 

Some people in this hobby are despicable.

• Agree 12

9 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

In vivid contrast to a thread elsewhere on RMweb, where Hornby did a limited edition loco named for Captain Tom Moore, with part of the sale price going to his favoured NHS Charities. Jolly good. But not a few scumbags have snapped these up and are now selling them to the highest bidder on ebay, thus actually making a tidy profit out of a charitable effort. 

Some people in this hobby are despicable.

I'm afraid that is true in general. There are some people who only see pound signs in whatever they look at.:mellow:

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning,

No school today, è magistrae are having an all day conference to determine the returning plan. Oh dear. So time to have a fry up.

Yesterday a very very crude chain was made for the GtV, to go in the Hornby coupler the previous owner fitted. 

5254C43A-414B-40D8-9FE0-31AC96F6272E.jpeg

I have a sneaking feeling those are not Scale 7 wheels!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning,

Yesterday a very very crude chain was made for the GtV, to go in the Hornby coupler the previous owner fitted.

A thought, most art/crafts stores will have a supply of various size chains. I  was thinking of getting some chain (from a mr hobby supplier) for my On2½ layout; whooo, the cost! A friend suggested a craft store, what a difference in price; much lower. Just a thought.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have a sneaking feeling those are not Scale 7 wheels!

7 hours ago, Adam88 said:

Are they Aveling and Porter's?

They are Bing coarse scale wheels, made from zinc and designed to run on drawn brass “Lowko” track created by George Winteringham, later owner of Precision Models Ltd. 

The ones on the tender are even worse!:biggrin_mini2: I’m seriously considering getting some Slaters ones to replace them. At some point an Ace Trains four wheel bogie will replace that on the front.

image.jpg
Really the engine needs a new tender entirely, as the original Bing one has been lost to time and the current one is for a Hornby O gauge LMS 4-4-0, as are the wheels. I have given some thought to making my own copy of a Bing tender, but need to do some more research and acquire some tin snips etc.

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1