Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just two sheds. One is 3 x 4 in imperial, for the pool pump.  The other is 130 by 32 if I've got my metric to imperial converson right.  Free with the house.

Jamie

On occasions, Dave's shed doubles as a paddling pool. A very cunning use of the limited space he has available. 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

Great news!

Following on from the cake fund suggestion, Georgie has agreed to supply me with the cake directly therefore reducing the posting and packaging costs.

This will mean you get more cake for your cash, and I'm not having to scrat around in the gravel for any crumbs when it is redelivered.

That's called joined up logistics!

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

My shed (or hangar as HH would have it) is a 35ft x 20ft brick building that, as well as being my workshop and layout room, is also Jill's and my Dad's art studio, ironing room and general storage area, although I try to limit the latter except for all my railway drawings and modelling supplies as well as various art stuff. Hence it would fit about six times into Jamie's shed and be small fry at Q Towers. It has been turned into a paddling pool once, not deliberately, but I've decided that staying dry shod in there is the better way so regular attention is now paid to keeping the outside soakaway clear and discouraging passing pachyderms from establishing adjacent muddy hollows. I'm shortly heading down there for a bit of modelling time while Jill and a friend go for a hike.

I'm not really looking forward to the next 24 hours as this evening I have to take and deal with the fallout (!) from the preparation for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning. Whether after all the recent discussion concerning HH's inner workings it is appropriate that the procedure will be carried out at Telford I'm not sure.

With luck I will return tomorrow PM.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Just two sheds. One is 3 x 4 in imperial, for the pool pump.  The other is 130 by 32 if I've got my metric to imperial converson right.  Free with the house.

Jamie

I thought the house came with the shed?  Bill

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

I have suddenly realised that after my modelling hiatus during the first lockdown period.  I had a restart date for constructional work of 01 August. This has long gone, and although de-constructional work took place on SG, plus various sorting, planning and tidying of various ideas and storage places, no building or finishing has happened.  This being the case, I have set myself a new start date of 01 Oct 20.

On this day, I will do something that is model railway orientated, and above all, of a constructional nature.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have suddenly realised that after my modelling hiatus during the first lockdown period.  I had a restart date for constructional work of 01 August. This has long gone, and although de-constructional work took place on SG, plus various sorting, planning and tidying of various ideas and storage places, no building or finishing has happened.  This being the case, I have set myself a new start date of 01 Oct 20.

On this day, I will do something that is model railway orientated, and above all, of a constructional nature.

There's no time like the future!

Everything I didn't do yesterday plus everything I haven't done today combined with everything I won't do tomorrow completely exhausts me!

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

Afternoon, 

Slight disaster,

As I were getting up from reading on my bed about an hour ago, I felt a horrible pain in the top of my left leg, and nearly fell over. It would appear that I have either badly strained or torn something in that region, more than likely as a result of yesterday’s racing. So now I am mostly confined to sofas, as walking is virtually impossible. Oh well. 

In other more positive news, here’s something I forgot to post yesterday. The karting track is situated in one of Tulsa’s old industrial districts, behind our 1922 refinery, so there are many interesting abandoned buildings, and a mainline railway. One must cross said railway to return to  civilization, however we could not owing to there being a train in the way. So we went to look for a way around it. This entailed driving through various old factory complexes. One of which was demolished, and revealed some massive old more than likely donkey engine driven boiler plate rollers, with exposed gearing. A bit further down the road we passed the still active “Oklahoma Forge”, who I had heard of but never seen. At its gate stood two preserved enormous Chambersburg (I think they’re Chambersburg, could be Nazel though, I did much research in steam hammers for a section of my now defunct Marklin layout) steam hammers, something I wasn’t really expecting to see. Sadly I was without my phone and couldn’t get photos. 

Douglas

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Sadly I was without my phone and couldn’t get photos. 

Take it easy with the leg.  Although you will repair faster than us old fogeys, I learned the hard way that trying to overdo it too soon after an injury will end up with you repeating the injury.  The more times you  do it, the longer it takes to heal until eventually it won't!

As for the photos. well never mind.  I'm sure you will go back to Tulsa again, and at least you know where these monoliths are now.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Afternoon, 

Slight disaster,

As I were getting up from reading on my bed about an hour ago, I felt a horrible pain in the top of my left leg, and nearly fell over. It would appear that I have either badly strained or torn something in that region, more than likely as a result of yesterday’s racing. So now I am mostly confined to sofas, as walking is virtually impossible. Oh well. 

Douglas

Hopefully, Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). In this country we have tubes of things called 'deep heat' and 'radian massage cream' which usually help, as does rest. Once you recover, you might need to work *gently* on stretching and mobility exercises before karting.

Unfortunately, stretching to increase flexibility (in my case, for arm/shoulder movement for poling) takes a long time to make a difference.

I imagine that a tear would have become apparent very quickly.

And no, I have no medical or physio experience, but I used to be a cyclist and occasional cross-country skier, and sore muscles was par for the course if doing longer distances on the bike, or when using muscles I didn't ordinarily use much.  I can just about remember similar problems after doing off-season weight training, and when using a rowing machine in the not-so-distant past.

Best wishes.

ĸen

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Take it easy with the leg.  Although you will repair faster than us old fogeys, I learned the hard way that trying to overdo it too soon after an injury will end up with you repeating the injury.  The more times you  do it, the longer it takes to heal until eventually it won't!

As for the photos. well never mind.  I'm sure you will go back to Tulsa again, and at least you know where these monoliths are now.

1 hour ago, zarniwhoop said:

Hopefully, Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). In this country we have tubes of things called 'deep heat' and 'radian massage cream' which usually help, as does rest. Once you recover, you might need to work *gently* on stretching and mobility exercises before karting.

Unfortunately, stretching to increase flexibility (in my case, for arm/shoulder movement for poling) takes a long time to make a difference.

I imagine that a tear would have become apparent very quickly.

And no, I have no medical or physio experience, but I used to be a cyclist and occasional cross-country skier, and sore muscles was par for the course if doing longer distances on the bike, or when using muscles I didn't ordinarily use much.  I can just about remember similar problems after doing off-season weight training, and when using a rowing machine in the not-so-distant past.

Best wishes.

ĸen

Thankfully it has turned out to simply be a strain, and I can walk now but it’s still very sore, so I shall be resting now mostly, until school on Tuesday. Gratias omnes te advicium.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Friendly/supportive 8

@Happy Hippo (and anyone else for that matter) you may find this amusing, or infuriating... (the main paragraph pictured). I would loved to have met that fireman though.

From J.M Dunn’s “Reflections on a Railway Career, LNWR to BR.” Ian Allan 1966.

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid that the military and the police would classify that as a negligent discharge.

Before the firearm and shotgun laws became so stringent in the UK it was not uncommon for a shotgun or small calibre rifle to be carried on the footplate, certainly from locos that resided at rural locations.  Long waits in goods loops or waiting for the single line could be quite profitable and supplement the families meat diet. 

Blackberries were also in abundance on embankments so they too were picked if a train was stopped for any length of time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm afraid that the military and the police would classify that as a negligent discharge.

I thought a negligent discharge was disobeying Billy Connelly's 2nd law for the over 50's.  "Always be careful when you break wind in case you have a follow through"

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Funny 6

5 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

ell we have the waiting room

How does one manage to keep the ceiling and rafters so clean?! Here we have some sort of nasty dust that blows through the air and would cover a ceiling of that design in a thick layer of brown cobwebs within a fortnight, (especially with it not being attached to the main house) then again the Isle of Man may be devoid of such a nasty particle. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

How does one manage to keep the ceiling and rafters so clean?! Here we have some sort of nasty dust that blows through the air and would cover a ceiling of that design in a thick layer of brown cobwebs within a fortnight, (especially with it not being attached to the main house) then again the Isle of Man may be devoid of such a nasty particle. 

It is, Douglas.  There is very little engineering industry here and what there is tends to be high tech (Martin-Baker) not foundries and steelworks. So we have very clean air, and the prevailing westerly wind means we don't get the UK's muck either.

337796065_Peel1.jpg.de4ba5af6e089739deed2f63f1eb618e.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

This our “shed”, aka where my dad keeps the vehicles requiring unusual insurance registration. It also contains our drill press and belt sander, the only things I normally visit it for, unless help is needed on one of said vehicles. Sadly the only exterior photo I had was taken at night. 

D6419DAD-DB43-471D-81E3-0DC40DFB5D19.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm intrigued as to why one would load a gun and then clean it. 

That certainly is negligent

I have two sheds, one 16 x 3 (ex 8 x 6) and rammed to the rafters with stuff I "cleared" out of the garage  and one awaiting assembly, 6 x 3 (this one was free to a good home.) Just need somewhere  to put it and then the garage can be properly cleared out.

Andy

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, SM42 said:

I'm intrigued as to why one would load a gun and then clean it. 

That certainly is negligent

I have two sheds, one 16 x 3 (ex 8 x 6) and rammed to the rafters with stuff I "cleared" out of the garage  and one awaiting assembly, 6 x 3 (this one was free to a good home.) Just need somewhere  to put it and then the garage can be properly cleared out.

Andy

They tend to forget they loaded it and have not fired.

They compound the error by checking it's empty by pulling the trigger rather than physically checking the breech is clear.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

They compound the error by checking it's empty by pulling the trigger rather than physically checking the breech is clear.

I thought they checked by looking down the barrel from the unfriendly end

Andy

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3