Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

In the stables courtyard at Attingham was a lady who was demonstrating silk painting.

We had a very interesting chat, suitably distanced, about painting techniques and how the skills transfer across various hobbies.

I picked up some useful tips on painting scenic backgrounds.

It was worth going over just for the few minutes discussion.  The walk was OK and bucked up considerably when the PH whom we had met there with the rest of his family,  produced cake.

Sadly Nyda declined her slice, so I was forced to have two.

I know what your thinking, the sacrifices I make for the rest of the family.................

Well it was either that, or post  the smaller slice to Poly.

Aviation highlight was a Hawk T2 that flew over at low level heading west:  We assumed he was off to play in the Mach Loop.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Sadly Nyda declined her slice, so I was forced to have two.

I know what your thinking, the sacrifices I make for the rest of the family.................

Well it was either that, or post  the smaller slice to Poly.

Your bravery knows no bounds, as does Bear's rumbly tum.....

• Funny 8

Evening,

Online school today, but back in person tomorrow.

After school was spent finishing up “The Crown” on Netflix and polishing the dial (and dial case) on our kitchen clock. This was the first time I had ever had the dial off, which giving one a good view of the forward internals. After careful polishing the pendulum tension was adjusted so that it now keeps time with decent accuracy, as before it was 35 minutes off. The chime indexes were also checked (the large gear on the bottom left) and was found to be in good order, with out any binding which I had a slight hunch might be occurring.

Douglas

9DBE1832-CD72-4F14-B3A0-E57FD6DB9142.jpeg

0538ADCF-63C0-4F26-BF2A-9A9C564B5229.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening,

...snip... After school was spent finishing up “The Crown” on Netflix  ...snip...

Douglas

I recall watching the first six episodes in the proper order on TV, quite a nice series.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Douglas:  a bit of musical trivia about the chimes (assuming they are Westminster)

The sequence requires 10 4-note patterns*, which is actually a repeat of 5 patterns. Something to do with a 5-sided plate.

The patterns are set so that the half-hour and the hour end on the tonic (do) of the scale. So that is patterns 3 and 5.

* 1+2+3+4=10

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

The weather is a bit bleak this morning with grey clouds, a stiff breeze and occasional rail squalls:  Just the sort of weather you want when the plan is to plant out the onions in the veg patch.

I have a sneaking feeling that such activity may be curtailed.

This afternoon, we are supposed to be going out for a sit in a neighbour's garden for a chat and afternoon tea.   due to the current weather outside, it would probably be more hospitable on the open bridge of a frigate on an arctic convoy.

The Aberflyarff saga continues!   My chief ideas man, Brian Rolley, has suggested that part of the backscene should be some rusted and dented tall wriggly tin with a faded Aberflyarff RFC emblazoned thereon.   I've quickly warmed to the idea. A stand off distance between the tin and the actual backscene ought to give  enough space for the tops of some posts to represent the end of the pitch. (it might be a bit quicker to construct than a row of terraced houses.)

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

bridge of a frigate on an arctic convoy.

I don’t know anyone who served on a frigate but I did know someone (now deceased) who served on a trawler converted to minesweeper on Arctic convoys. He did mention how he never went hungry as he was happy eating biscuits and from a tin of corned beef. 
Tony

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

I read The Cruel Sea as a lad, put me off ever joining the Navy.

I just knew my whole career would have been in the North Atlantic.

My lad would be happy with that, it's the heat of the Caribbean he's dreading.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Northroader said:

And some “five foot grass” on the pitch.

And some oil drums, old fridge & a sofa, so the 'spectators' can look over the wall....  A pink Echo on the floor, A Safeway or Fine Fare shopping trolley. A 'bogie', and a couple of bread baskets. A Mr. T advert from Mothers Pride (Hopkin Morgan in Pontypridd).  A Hillman Imp up on blocks (me) so I could strip out the front suspension. PUDC buses in dark blue & cream. 

Like it was yesterday....... "Oh, it was yesterday..." 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Having looked at the state of the inside of the car, around the likes of the roof hinges and all those bits that lurk between the outside and the inside, and don't get seen, I decided that some cleaning was required.

What was originally a specific task morphed into a more general car clean.

All went well until I decided to deploy the pressure washer.  It was not up to speed!

Having repaired it in the past (at least twice) I stripped the thing down and found that the swash plate was not very well.  In fact the unit was mortally wounded with a spring in multiple pieces and a snapped valve stem.

Much as I would like to resuscitate it,  I have to bear in mind that it is 15+ years old, and that the spares are not cheap, so it really boils down to being more cost effective to buy a new one.

I suppose research on the internet is now required.

• Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

suppose research on the internet is now required

I bought a new pressure washer a couple of years ago. Even though I was restricting myself to the same make I felt my brain start to implode with model numbers, capacities, and prices. I think at the time my choice was driven by how long you could use it for. Some of them seemed a bit restricted. I don’t spend a lot of time cleaning cars but patios and paths have taken longer in the past. 
The one I got was  on special offer with accessories in Halfords was cheaper than without accessories.  I have no idea why. My neighbour has a petrol engine pressure washer but I think he only uses it at work. 
Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Typically in this day and age it was cheaper to buy a different manufacturer's more powerful machine, complete with a comprehensive accessories pack, than it was to buy a base unit and then use the existing accessories I already have.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Typically in this day and age it was cheaper to buy a different manufacturer's more powerful machine, complete with a comprehensive accessories pack, than it was to buy a base unit and then use the existing accessories I already have.

So what exciting accessories do you have now? I have a drain cleaning attachment. I bought it when we had a blocked drain. Unfortunately I found out that I could only deploy it one way as there would appear to be one way flaps in our drains. Something to prevent rats I think. I did use it for clearing the gutters.  Very messy but effective. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

So what exciting accessories do you have now? I have a drain cleaning attachment. I bought it when we had a blocked drain. Unfortunately I found out that I could only deploy it one way as there would appear to be one way flaps in our drains. Something to prevent rats I think. I did use it for clearing the gutters.  Very messy but effective. 

That's a good question.  There seems to be an extension hose, a number of brushes for cleaning tasks (car/ windows?) A patio /path scrubber and a detergent bottle. 

I had a better look at the old one earlier this evening and probably the only thing that's worth saving is the hose which I replaced last year.  the rest can go into the recycling.

Our afternoon tea went very well, especially when the host suddenly produced a bottle of Jack Daniels.  We ended up leaving a lot later than planned!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

patio /path scrubber

We have one of those. I used it on what MiL calls her terrace. After removing the moss and grime from the slabs I had to pressure wash the surroundings. MiL was very pleased though. I had got her to check it was ok to do as she is in a penthouse apartment and I didn’t want to affect the next floor down. 
I have a soft rotary brush attachment which is good for finishing off after a car clean (not very often). 
The most “fun” attachment is the snow foam nozzle. Seeing the car disappear under a mass of foam seems to brighten up my day. Easily pleased I think!

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

There's obviously something supernatural going on. I haven't posted on TNM for a while (not really due to any major factor - just a lot of niggles and a bit of missing mojo) but decided today that it was time to catch up. First of all, though, I had to power wash my Dad's patio and path but what did I find when I got on to TNM? A discussion on power washers. Is this evidence of the subliminal influence of this forum?

Other news is that I've finished the first building for my layout - details over on the Midland Railway Company thread - and that tomorrow I'll be making a fruit cake. Oops, I think I can hear the thunder of pachyderm feet.

Dave  

• Like 5
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, BokStein said:

Evening,

All this talk of pressure washers minds me to enquire if steam cleaners can be used on the inside of a car's windscreen?

We used to remove the seats from Land Rovers and hose them out to get rid of the dust when we were in Cyprus!

Imagine our disappointment when they introduced seats pads that were bolted in place.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Grumpy of Horton has just written to the local planning authority!

I am quite annoyed that all the new properties being built around here are not replacing the hedgerows they grub out at the front of their properties with like when they have finished the development.

When we moved in, back in 1994, the boundary hedge needed replacing as it was in such poor condition.  the planners told us that replacement had to be in  native species that would mimic the other hedges in the area.

I have no objection to the new houses, but do feel that tearing out hedges that were mature when we moved into the village and not getting them replaced is a retrograde step.

If you want to move to the country then you need to do country like things:  ditch clearing, hedge and tree maintenance, standing around sucking on a straw. wearing a smock and going 'Ooooh Arrr'....

That sort of thing.  Keep the countryside and it's traditions alive.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you want to move to the country then you need to do country like things:  ditch clearing, hedge and tree maintenance, standing around sucking on a straw. wearing a smock and going 'Ooooh Arrr'....

With any luck the church bells will keep them awake on Sunday mornings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

With any luck the church bells will keep them awake on Sunday mornings.

Or their neighbours should buy cockerels  and use pig slurry as fertiliser.

Jamie

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1