Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

4 hours ago, petethemole said:

A fantasy gamer I knew once asked me in Beatties for advice on painting an angel's wings in a rainbow effect.  I told him to use Humbrol Rainbow paint.  "What number is it?" he asked, heading for the paint rack.

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/rust-oleum-glitter-rainbow-paint-125ml_p232534

Also available in spray.

https://www.homebase.co.uk/rust-oleum-glitter-rainbow-spray-paint-150ml_p232480

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I might try that on some of my box vans!

Makes a change to Bauxite (Gulf Red).

• Funny 5

Good Evening,

On 15/10/2020 at 18:50, Tony_S said:

Amazon sell adjustable hex sockets, perhaps inflatable Allen keys will be  next?

Adjustable hex sockets are for the sole use of witches! (They're the right size for every screw on their broomsticks!)

11 hours ago, AndrewC said:

Dunno about left handed screwdrivers, but I do have a left handed can opener, a left handed corkscrew, left biased butcher knives, and Left handed scissors.  That really screws up visitors. <insert evil laugh here>

Perfectly justified, and it is respected that whilst some tools need to be handed, others (like the screwdriver) don't!

10 hours ago, TheQ said:

image.png.18a69a21de073538306a5adbb16c45ad.png

Do you apply it with a brush, spray gun or roller? ;)

Edited by BokStein
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Rainbow paint I can understand - I think it works by having a surface with different refractive indices similar to the way petrol on water does - but tartan paint? Does it come with a large amount of masking tape and a pattern?

Dave 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Bangers, mash and onion gravy (with red wine) for our evening meal.

I've just finished doing some painting and Nyda is now painting stones.

These are planted when we go out for walks for other people to find!

Weird? Yes, it's a Facebook thing that my daughter does with her children.

These are some she did earlier in the week, so Nyda is now playing catch-up.

image.png.fe66e383e1a3f20f17248830999e8c42.png

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Mrs NHN would be naturally left handed, but was 'forced' to be right handed in terms of writing etc as a child - weird Cornish stuff....she's basically ambidextrous as a result, uses computer mice with either hand, etc.  Shoots her bow right handed though, which she doesn't really understand.  She tried a southpaw bow someone at at the club has but it didn't work for her.  I'm just a clumsy carp.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I'm left biased so tend to be sinister, but played hockey and cricket right handed, yet badminton and squash were played left handed.

I can use a longbow from either hand, and likewise can shoot using either eye.  This was a lucky trait as it enabled one to shoot from cover without exposing too much of yourself:  Especially useful when there is likely to be stuff coming back at you.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm left biased so tend to be sinister, but played hockey and cricket right handed, yet badminton and squash were played left handed.

I'm exactly the opposite - generally right-handed but naturally swing a cricket bat or golf club left-handed whereas use a racket right-handed.

5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

..... can shoot using either eye. 

That's a good trick, I have to use a finger on the trigger.....

And it's goodnight from me......

Dave

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

I see myself as left handed.

But...

Golf, cricket,  tennis - right handed.

Archery, snooker, shooting- left handed.

Darts - both.

Table tennis - both, two bats at once.

Modelling use of a knife - left, bias but both.

Cutting food - exclusively right.

Saw, hammer, plane - both.

Screwdrivers - both.

No, I don't understand either. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I'm exactly the opposite - generally right-handed but naturally swing a cricket bat or golf club left-handed whereas use a racket right-handed.

That's a good trick, I have to use a finger on the trigger.....

And it's goodnight from me......

Dave

But Grasshopper,

You did not have eyes like mine!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Bangers, mash and onion gravy (with red wine) for our evening meal.

I've just finished doing some painting and Nyda is now painting stones.

These are planted when we go out for walks for other people to find!

Weird? Yes, it's a Facebook thing that my daughter does with her children.

These are some she did earlier in the week, so Nyda is now playing catch-up.

image.png.fe66e383e1a3f20f17248830999e8c42.png

Someone left a couple of painted stones on my neighbours front step. She asked if we had any. She seemed concerned that its was some secret message left by gangs of thieves. I explained it was an internet thing and it was  probably a small child. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Someone left a couple of painted stones on my neighbours front step. She asked if we had any. She seemed concerned that its was some secret message left by gangs of thieves. I explained it was an internet thing and it was  probably a small child. 

Or a large hippo?

Dave

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, bbishop said:

When computer mouses were introduced I used them with my left hand until only "right handed mouses" were available, so I swapped over and have never changed back.

Sticking my head above the parapet (my amount of modelling is close to zero at the moment), I've only ever used a right-handed mouse - in my left hand.

Yours sinistrally,

ĸen

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

The new scroll saw worked for about 5 minutes and then just made a whirring sound.

Taking the side cover off revealed the screw that holds the bottom beam to the motor crank had come adrift.

This was refitted and we were off again.

the same thing happened again after a few more minutes of use:  If you overtighten it, the machine won't work, so I think I might have to resort to using some thread lock or a longer screw.

There was a great improvement with the quality of cut when I swapped from coping saw blades (as supplied) to spiral wound blades which can cut in any direction.  further improvement will occur one I have secured the saw to a board that can be clamped down on a workbench.

Due to space restrictions, I have a lot of power tools  like this:  For instance, my router table is on a base that clamps into an old B&D Workmate.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A cafe in town had right handed mugs, the handle was offset lke looking down on a letter "p". So I had to hold the thing by the body , The next time I went in I was given an ordenary mug. Untill recently I used a right hand mouse left handed, now I have changed the buttons round. That is a test of your sence of humour!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Evening,

Karting in was very interesting today, pretty harrowing conditions. These included, very very strong wind, cold temperatures, brand new hard tires, and loads of dust, courtesy of the wind. ‘Twas a bit like driving on an ice rink! 

Anyways, in recent past, I have constructed a clockwork friendly garden railway, I won’t go into all the detail here as it has its own thread (linked in signature), but I will add a photo. This morning I had my first ever cup of Earl Grey, a most enlightening experience, and will result in the it becoming my new go-to tea. 

On the subject of dominant hands, I use my right hand for almost everything. Carving, opening doors, etc. The one time I tried carving with both my right and left hand I ended up with fourteen stitches in my left fingers, and a ever present bulge in my thumb! 

Douglas

E4076477-F24D-48FA-9780-C440ED39EE5E.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, laurenceb said:

Untill recently I used a right hand mouse left handed, now I have changed the buttons round.

I watch right handed colleagues use a mouse r-h, then move it out of the way if they want to use a pen to write notes, then move it back afterwards. 

I use a mouse r-h on one side of the keyboard and have a notepad on the left side. Much easier :)

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

This morning I had my first ever cup of Earl Grey, a most enlightening experience, and will result in the it becoming my new go-to tea. 

If you are keen on tea, then I would also recommend getting your hands on Earl Grey's wife (Wahahahahaha).

I drink most black tea NATO standard (m+2s) but prefer the delights of Lady Grey unsullied by further additives.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

the delights of Lady Grey unsullied by further additives.

I find Earl Grey unpleasant but as Beatrice was looking for a milk-free afternoon tea, we tried Lady Grey, which has been a success with the whole family.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2