Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

My tea preferences are not very exotic. Variations on English Breakfast, some milk, no sugar. I have tried Earl Grey. I don’t like it. Aditi does, so there is some for visitors (not that we have had any recently). 
Tony

• Like 4

I reckon most people can't make tea properly.

Working in a charity shop means tea is being made all the time, but what tends to appear is a cupful of hot milk with a tiny bit of tea.  :bad:

Teabag tea should be left for about three to five minutes. Then if you really want milk, a tiny bit. Not half a cup full....

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

I was once in chargevof making the tea at church for a big funeral tea. My mate and I got a production line goi g with two kettles and two teapots thst held enough for 6 mugs each. One of the 'church ladies' aka an interfering busybody was horrified when she saw me counting out 7 teabags per teapot. She said 'I never use more than 4'.  We got a lot if complements on how good the tea was.

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The lack of OFMC meetings with the resultant reduction in Chocolate Oatie consumption and cup of tea makings has impacted Aldi's profit margin over the past few months.

I did have some very nice Ginger& Oat cookies this morning when we were up at the PH's digging out an overgrown flower bed.

One thing I have noticed over the past few months is the difference in how physical fatigue sets in:  In the past it was quite gradual, but now I seem to be fine until all of a sudden, it's as if somebody has switched my body off.

There is little or no warning to this, which can be very annoying if you've just started on a time critical task and then have to stop.

Tea cake and scones gives a temporary boost to energy levels... Perhaps I should take more of this on board for a greater longer term effect.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

I'm not a great drinker of tea but when I do, the teabag is dunked in the mug for about two seconds  then a slice of lemon is added.  All very continental.    Like Raymond, I prefer Assam tea.

Coffee on the other hand is industrial strength and black.   Bill

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I had similar experiences, but with Yorkshire puddings.  Being left in charge on a Sunday. I'd never made one before: I've eaten plenty, but never made one. So.... Consult  the intermewebby, and the recipe  called for 4 eggs, along with all the other bits.  In they went; correct temperature and everything. On her return, Mother in Law enquired: "How many eggs? What? Four eggs? that's much  too much, I only need one. " 

Over lunch, the guests complimented  MiL on her  Yorkshire puddings. I kept my mouth shut...

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I had similar experiences, but with Yorkshire puddings.  Being left in charge on a Sunday. I'd never made one before: I've eaten plenty, but never made one. So.... Consult  the intermewebby, and the recipe  called for 4 eggs, along with all the other bits.  In they went; correct temperature and everything. On her return, Mother in Law enquired: "How many eggs? What? Four eggs? that's much  too much, I only need one. " 

Over lunch, the guests complimented  MiL on her  Yorkshire puddings. I kept my mouth shut...

Nyda is now asking for the recipe!

I should have kept my mouth shut.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The lack of OFMC meetings with the resultant reduction in Chocolate Oatie consumption and cup of tea makings has impacted Aldi's profit margin over the past few months.

I did have some very nice Ginger& Oat cookies this morning when we were up at the PH's digging out an overgrown flower bed.

One thing I have noticed over the past few months is the difference in how physical fatigue sets in:  In the past it was quite gradual, but now I seem to be fine until all of a sudden, it's as if somebody has switched my body off.

There is little or no warning to this, which can be very annoying if you've just started on a time critical task and then have to stop.

Tea cake and scones gives a temporary boost to energy levels... Perhaps I should take more of this on board for a greater longer term effect.

Yes, that is me, also. I go so far, and then it's 'Whoa, Dobbin! I have bought energy drinks  (about 1/2 pint, tinned) but I try to keep them as an item of last resort.  The word about here suggests that over-consumption can screw you up.  

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nyda is now asking for the recipe!

I should have kept my mouth shut.

To be completely honest Richard, I can't remember. I guess it's a good look at the first 20-odd entries on Google.  I think it might have been a BBC recipe. The only thing that sticks in my mind is that, according to MiL, I used Four eggs... 

I shall certainly have a look to see if I can find it (the recipe, not the eggs ).  All this talk of tea & cake is your blessed fault.  

Edit: I returned to Google, and the BBC 'Good Food' recipe is the one I used. " Four eggs, Four eggs....

I'll be making Bread pudding this afternoon. Now see what you've done.

Edited by tomparryharry
Hmm, Toad in the hole...
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

In Yorkshire, the inability to make decent Yorkshires that rise is classed as grounds for divorce. Beth made lovely ones in the UK but struggled with them over here. No 1 son and fiancee made some good ones when they stayed. Eventually  the recipe was handed over and included 4 eggs. I will attempt to extract the relevant official secrets. However I dare not use the thumbscrews or rack as she us currently experimenting with a sticky biscuit recipe and it is my terrible task to help dispose of the rejects.

Jamie

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Hitting the lack of energy wall,  started a few years ago for me.  As I get older the time to the wall gets shorter. I can force myself to continue but not for long,  and I pay for it later,  with exhaustion and often a head ache. 

Lifting is a particular problem,  a little to heavy,  and I can feel the energy drain away, even if I've done nothing else.. It can take a couple of hours before I'm OK again. 

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

In Yorkshire, the inability to make decent Yorkshires that rise is classed as grounds for divorce. Beth made lovely ones in the UK but struggled with them over here. No 1 son and fiancee made some good ones when they stayed. Eventually  the recipe was handed over and included 4 eggs. I will attempt to extract the relevant official secrets. However I dare not use the thumbscrews or rack as she us currently experimenting with a sticky biscuit recipe and it is my terrible task to help dispose of the rejects.

Jamie

Never mind Jamie, help is at hand! I'm sure the 'TNM collective' can help you!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Tea? Lidl's Knightsbridge bags - even the decaff ones - make a brilliant cup if you pummel them within an inch of their life. 20 seconds of stirring and then squeezing them against the side of the cup. Add a drop of milk so it doesn't look too dark. 

Coffee is Nespresso, but using - again - Lidl cheapo capsules. Ristretto for preference, which is graded 10 for strength. The machines don't last forever, I'm afraid, but the quality of coffee when under 19 bar pressure is really rather good. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thanks for that.

I've looked it up and printed it off.

Now about that bread pudding recipe...:mocking_mini:

I have just gently interrogated the ayatollah  and she also referred me to the Good Food Guide. The current set of reject biscuits are due to be disposed of this evening.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

As we were avisiting the PH and family this morning, I went into the garage to recover my mitre saw.  We share the mitre saw and the table saw because they tend to get used for specific jobs and then get quite a bit of down time. In the garage are three ride on lawn mowers.  The first belongs to the PH and is clean,  well maintained and stored under cover.  The other two have seen better days.  What he is doing is putting all the better bits from one machine, which has a rusted through and totally Jomo Kenyatta'd deck, onto the other deck, which is in good condition unlike the mechanicals.  He'll make one from two and once complete will be on it's way to the Scout site at Cornel, near Llanwrst.

We have been discussing whether the engine and hydrostatic drive from the pile of scrap could be resurrected and form the basis for a 7 1/4" gauge loco.

It would certainly be a big step up from my little 1.5 hp petrol electric (once it's finished).

When I was deciding to go down the ride on railway route, I had been considering 5" gauge, but a friend pointed me in the direction of what are deemed minimal gauge railways.  There are not scale models of the real thing, but locos built to work for a living, and therefore the railway becomes a proper line doing a job of work.

This is what 'Crusty' will look like when finished:

image.png.612c406a622a192711f76576426d150f.png

This particular model having been produced by CMD Engineering to the original Colin Edmondson design.  It is Listeresque, although there are various other body kits that pay homage to the likes of Duetz and Ruston. Since the engine lifts out for transportation it is also possible to replace it with a set of traction batteries which might be a little quieter early on a Sunday morning.

In my case the plan is to use the railway to shift gardening and building stuff from the front of the hippodrome to the back.  In Welsh terms that's from Byhere to Bythere.  If it has a secondary passenger carrying purpose of shifting the grandchildren around the garden then that's a bonus.  It'll certainly beat me having to push them around on Nyda's Trundle Truck.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thanks for that.

I've looked it up and printed it off.

Now about that bread pudding recipe...:mocking_mini:

Go to Youtube, and it's Dave's Tiny Kitchen. The only thing I change is a slightly hotter oven. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

This morning I had my first ever cup of Earl Grey, a most enlightening experience, and will result in the it becoming my new go-to tea.

I attended a meeting at Westland Helicopters some years ago, during which "Tea" (I use the term very loosely) was presented, made by "Kathy", the department secretary.  Tasted very weird to me, so didn't drink much.  One of the guys asked "don't you like the tea?"  To which I responded "I don't think Kathy rinsed the cup properly - it tastes of washing up liquid".

And that was my introduction to Earl Grey....'orrible stuff.

To cap it all the guys duly bubbled me to Kathy, and I was reminded of the fact on every subsequent visit.

Bear's choice is the one that the Chimps on the telly drink.  Save two used teabags and use them together to make a third cup - just a bit less milk.  Guess that makes me a tightar5e :lol:

2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

To be completely honest Richard, I can't remember. I guess it's a good look at the first 20-odd entries on Google.  I think it might have been a BBC recipe. The only thing that sticks in my mind is that, according to MiL, I used Four eggs... 

I shall certainly have a look to see if I can find it (the recipe, not the eggs ).  All this talk of tea & cake is your blessed fault.  

Edit: I returned to Google, and the BBC 'Good Food' recipe is the one I used. " Four eggs, Four eggs....

I'll be making Bread pudding this afternoon. Now see what you've done.

Auntie Bessie's ready-made frozen.  Saves all that faffing around

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

I attended a meeting at Westland Helicopters some years ago, during which "Tea" (I use the term very loosely) was presented, made by "Kathy", the department secretary.  Tasted very weird to me, so didn't drink much.  One of the guys asked "don't you like the tea?"  To which I responded "I don't think Kathy rinsed the cup properly - it tastes of washing up liquid".

And that was my introduction to Earl Grey....'orrible stuff.

To cap it all the guys duly bubbled me to Kathy, and I was reminded of the fact on every subsequent visit.

Bear's choice is the one that the Chimps on the telly drink.  Save two used teabags and use them together to make a third cup - just a bit less milk.  Guess that makes me a tightar5e :lol:

Auntie Bessie's ready-made frozen.  Saves all that faffing around

Well, I did fancy Toad in the hole tonight, with a good sized individual Yorkshire, topped off with all of the vegetables. Hover, Kim decided that we would have a Sunday breakfast-type meal. So i had to suffer, sausages, scrambled egg, whole button mushrooms & tomato. All washed down with a cuppa, and two slices of fresh granary bread.  I did suffer trying to eat it (liar) but I managed that, with fruit cocktail & ice cream. 

It's hell, I'll tell ya! 

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

We used to have the chimp’s tea but the teabags didn’t compost nicely and to make it strong enough for Aditi to enjoy made it too bitter for me so we changed to Clipper brand tea. Aditi is happy and her compost bin isn’t full of plastic mesh. 
I don’t think I have had coffee for about a year now. I went off it (and alcoholic beverages) when the heart trouble started. I don’t know why, I just drink tea or water now.  
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 6