Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

One wonders if Count Dracula had an off-peak Rover....

Cue terrible but funny jokes here.... 

Rumour has it that Dracula was the first internee at our local graveyard. Wanted to stake his place...

The evening after they dedicated the new burial ground in the next village up the road, some wag went in and placed some for sale signs in there.

'Corner plot overlooking the Wrekin' .

'Ideal for a large family'.

'Quiet village location'.

The sign in the lay-by outside read:

'Parking for residents only.'

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

One wonders if there were similar style vans on the South Western, for the Brookwood traffic.  There is, I believe, still a short spur left at Waterloo which leads down to the funeral platforms. Unused nowadays, of course.

As far as I can remember the coffin trucks were double deck. I have the book about The Necropolis Railway so will have a look and check. ISTR that the coffins were laded from the opposite side to the mourners.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

54 years ago I was being trained in booking office procedures in a portakabin more or less on the site of the former Necropolis station at Waterloo. The instructor, Tony, had been a booking clerk at Steyning among other places. Our course covered carriage of coffins by rail and he wickedly said "Children under 14 half-fare!"

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

As far as I can remember the coffin trucks were double deck. I have the book about The Necropolis Railway so will have a look and check. ISTR that the coffins were laded from the opposite side to the mourners.

Jamie

"Standing room only, space on top!"

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

"Standing room only, space on top!"

As the seafarers would say, self loading cargo to platfirm 1, freight to platform 2.

And somebody's got to say it. They were all dying to get in.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

The reason this traffic happened was because the cemeteries in London had become full and of course you had the problem of grave robbing.

But it was only a game played by children of the time:  Corpse and Robbers.

I have just been tasked with making a stand for the grandchildren's Christmas stockings:  Individual stockings advent calender style.  And it needs to fold flat for storage.

Quite honestly, I couldn't care!  They can make do with a walnut and a mouldy tangerine that I might have got when I was a child if I was lucky!

• RMweb Gold

The old shed roof has now been reduced to firewood.  It probably took longer to remove all the nails than it did to saw it into suitable sized bits.

Of course, I was volunteered  by a nameless person to cut some timber for a neighbour who was putting up some shelving.  The cut was not a simple case of popping it into the chop saw and cutting it to length; Nay, it had to be cut as ( I had to look this up) an isosceles trapezoid!  24 later, and all they needed was a quick run over with the sander to get rids of any splintered edges.

The procrastination I mentioned earlier has had to be put off to a later date!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Logged into RMweb and the advert at the top of the screen invited me to use Hippo to get rid of my garden waste!

I didn't know @Happy Hippowas in the rubbish disposal business!

Since I live on the 5th floor of a block of flats I have not yet found a way of having a garden and in any case I moved from my house because I wanted to not have a garden!

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Chris116 said:

Logged into RMweb and the advert at the top of the screen invited me to use Hippo to get rid of my garden waste!

Since I live on the 5th floor of a block of flats I have not yet found a way of having a garden and in any case I moved from my house because I wanted to not have a garden!

I have my finger in many pies. (Literally)  Although it's Welsh cakes this afternoon.

Most new houses that are built these days have substituted a postage stamp for a garden.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Morgen,

I was getting a bit carpentry deprived so decided to make a LMS period 1 no corridor coach in O scale:no:. And after 2 and a half hours of ceaseless toil, the wooden body of a coach appeared. I then attempted to paint it, and proceeded to fail miserably. So, i went and got on my phone and found a picture of a Hornby LMS 4 wheel coach, cropped the image, and printed out a few copies. Said copies were then applied to the coach body. And she doesn't look to bad methinks. Another one will be made, a brake coach. Both will be mounted on Bassett Lowke bogies off my BL mk 1s.

Douglas

image.png.a8c176564e00c365ee05dce5d0007125.pngimage.png.7a7425bfc506f28882a7b620b1d2dc3e.png

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

An update on the Advent stand:  The idea has been shelved.

Somebody realised they were going to have to make 48 bespoke mini stockings.

Result!

The time saved can now usefully utilised for more procrastination.

Have a look in The Works or Home & Bargain type places. Even online.

They have loads of different types of advent calendars. Not all involving chocolate.

Everything from LEGO to pork scratchings! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

I've just found a picture of myself when I was serving in an Armoured regiment.

image.png.ba28ac8a8ec4d1bd2190c99f32cf2ccd.png

Oi you,  what you doing outside dad's old office???  (Edinburgh castle) 

You get around a bit

armour-display-at-the.jpg

• Funny 8

4 hours ago, Chris116 said:

Equally, I didn't know that @Happy Hippo was yellow!

A colleague of mine recounts how a conservatory supplier once haunted him. In the end, he succumbed and invited them round for a survey. He lived in a first floor flat!

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Moving onto something completely different: 

What I wanted to look at was the rather primitive conditions that steam locomotives lived in when not at work.  Certainly high tech was not evident in the steam age.

This is a photo of 9600 at Merthyr Vale shed.

9600 was withdrawn from BR(W) service in 1965 from Ebbw Junction (Newport) and was bought by the NCB and worked on until 1973.  Since preserved, she can be seen at Tyseley where she has a current main line certificate. 

I think the picture says it all about the conditions locos were kept in and worked upon.

image.png.b8999733de2cd2121bed5f4a3dfc28b1.png

My thanks  to Robert Masterman, who was the photographer back in 1966 and is reproduced here with Robert's permission.

He is a prolific photographer of the S Wales scene and his work is wonderful and has captured the past and continues to capture the present so is a must see for anyone interested in the area.  It is also highly inspirational for anyone wanting to model such.

Such was the reality about the 'glamour' of steam.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Quite honestly, I couldn't care!  They can make do with a walnut and a mouldy tangerine that I might have got when I was a child if I was lucky!

One of our sons was apparently quite pessimistic as a kid. He would put a stick of chewing gum in his Christmas stocking before it was put away for the year, just to be sure there would be something in it next Christmas.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, pH said:

One of our sons was apparently quite pessimistic as a kid. He would put a stick of chewing gum in his Christmas stocking before it was put away for the year, just to be sure there would be something in it next Christmas.

And was it still there the following Christmas morning? Or does this explain the chewing gum stuck to the underframe of the sleigh, the cleaning off of which has been irritating the elves?

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

Evening,

School inspected today, the power went out for a whole 5 seconds this morning, so something to report on that front. This afternoon I fitted the first bit of the underframe to my coach, it's made from Balsa, a good incentive to not drop it on its side:D.

Douglas

image.png.979923640840807ed7f8d39d7ebbb55d.png

• Like 6