Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

tree rat

The red squirrel is also a rodent. They spend more time in trees than greys. This is why pine martens are able to prey on the grey. The red is too small to chase.  The pine marten is probably moving south due to having more grey squirrels to eat. Unfortunately pine martens are not popular with people raising game birds.  

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I thought I better mention that the kit and parts catalogue  was for  Gauge 1 locos.  Having changed gauges in thevmid 90's to 0 I really don'tvwant to change again, but the kit does look rather nice.

Jamie

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I thought I better mention that the kit and parts catalogue  was for  Gauge 1 locos.  Having changed gauges in thevmid 90's to 0 I really don'tvwant to change again, but the kit does look rather nice.

Jamie

10 mm to the foot, or 1/32 scale?  And was it live steam?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Maybe we can persuade Jamie to think larger scale with his live steam, Richard?

12.jpg.c5d268c553547f7b50058deb316ee0a9.jpg

Stop it Neil,

As someone who pulled up his garden line earlier in the year in anticipation of a major garden remodelling, I can quite easily be made very jealous of those who still have the facility.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Wind up? Me and Richard? Never.......:lol:  We play nicely.

Interestingly, an article by Richard in a publication some years ago provided much inspiration, it was nice to 'meet' him here.  The South Horton Irrigation Tramway (talking of wind-ups) of his was one of the greats of that branch of the hobby.

My garden railway is getting in a state of some disrepair, due to the last couple of years hassle with business and illness.  It should get some love and care in the spring, when landings from large animals looking for muddy hollows may be a risk.  It's nothing special but it keeps me out of the pub.  My interest is in driving the live steam locos, as a one time engineer.  I used to drive at the Groudle Glen railway but injury has meant I had to give that up. :cry:

P1030707.JPG.88ccbff23ca7b40f043bf96380e48399.JPG

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but what gauge/scale?  All this talk of 7 1/4" has me intrigued.  In the UK I used to help a pal with a 7 1/4" loco (Rob Roy), he preferred talking about it to running, so we would visit a few different railways and I would drive while he gas bagged - suited us both!

I miss this though....

P1060799.JPG.34a8db40b57cbf440b3c81267e29500e.JPG

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

The South Horton will re-manifest itself as something along similar lines to the late lamented Wrekin Havoc, taken to the garden railway show at Llanfair on a number of occasions.

The 7 1/4" loco is  one of Colin Edmondson's Scamp 0-4-0 P/E locos which I bought as a kit and it's still partially built on the bench.

The loco is strictly minimal gauge,  looking like a baby Lister loco, and it will be on a railway ostensibly doing real work, in this case assisting in shifting stuff around the garden.  The stuff that needs shifting will also include various family members.

I cannot see it being more than a single length of track from one end of the garden, although I might build a single turnout in order to access an engine and truck hutch.

The entire fleet will comprise the Scamp, called 'Crusty' and two flat wagons onto which drop on bodies flat/box/seat can be fitted as required:

The Scamp looks like this (also shown is the flat chassis with a tipper for good measure):

image.png.a0d205303fc78138a3f96c868589f166.png

Picture from CMD Engineering who provided me with the wheels for 'Crusty' and will be providing the flat wagon chassis sometime next year.

There is also the option to swap out the petrol engine for a pair of traction batteries should you want ultra quiet running.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

That is very much along the lines (badoom-tish) of friend Nick's (aka 'Bradypus' on fora) line in his very long garden in Barnsley.  Built to move materiel for his G scale line construction and gardening (paviours etc) with a battery electric tram and he also has a similar Lister and a steamer under construction.  He's a clever lad...and then some.

NHN totters off down the garden - this is only about half of it!

330506072_P1060403(Large).JPG.b972834ac954d95e2b1d32858ad51549.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I need to come up with a clever name for my still-in-the-planning-stage o gauge garden line. Its supposed to be based somewhere in between Liverpool and Wigan, (because Oklahoma looks so much like NW England:biggrin_mini2:) so something like Lowkington springs to mind. Suggestions are very welcome. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I need to come up with a clever name for my still-in-the-planning-stage o gauge garden line. Its supposed to be based somewhere in between Liverpool and Wigan, (because Oklahoma looks so much like NW England:biggrin_mini2:) so something like Lowkington springs to mind. Suggestions are very welcome. 

Douglas

Lowkington sounds more Cumbrian, my native county, and you would need mountains and lakes.  How about some of the real names from that area such as Rainhill or Sankey Brook.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hello chaps,

I'm still about but only on page 82 at the mo'. I'll catch you up a bit later - very interesting the bits on tanks. Just so I may go to bed wiser, just what is the difference between guns being classed as 'pounders' and calibre? Diameter of the barrel I can understand but pounders?

'Fraid I don't have much military in my recent family though my two French great grandfathers were. On my grandmothers side, her father was head inspector of munitions during the Great War, and on my grandfather side his father was an admiral who was responsible for persuading the French government and navy to accept zero meridian at Greenwich and not Paris as the French wanted. Got the KBE for that despite being French. He also set up with Prince Albert 1st of Monaco, the International Hydrographical Office. It was originally based in Monaco but now resides in Brest. It was its 100th anniversary last year.

Closest to military I got was being 'sursitaire', that is; being let off doing French military service as a dual national in 1970. I was already employed in the UK which would have been a bit awkward!

Cheers and keep safe,

Philip (still in lockdown)

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

I need to come up with a clever name for my still-in-the-planning-stage o gauge garden line.

I was very tempted to use Pant Y Gyrdwl for a Welsh  narrow gauge junction I designed.

It was lost on many people.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

I'm not very good at thinking up things like that, my railway is simply the street and area names, but they are Manx Gaelic words.  Something to do with a 'white marsh' but exact meaning is lost in the mists of time.  Pant y Gyrdwl is inspired!  Our old club layout, a USA (ish...) G scale quayside was Los Karr Quays but mate Tony thought that one up.

831384808_OverallviewLKQ.JPG.49deb3d69dafbcb0509a660d9772e278.JPG

Edit - NHN just sneaking in on the right, beard is black.....that was 'some time' ago!  LOL

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

That is very much along the lines (badoom-tish) of friend Nick's (aka 'Bradypus' on fora) line in his very long garden in Barnsley.  Built to move materiel for his G scale line construction and gardening (paviours etc) with a battery electric tram and he also has a similar Lister and a steamer under construction.  He's a clever lad...and then some.

NHN totters off down the garden - this is only about half of it!

330506072_P1060403(Large).JPG.b972834ac954d95e2b1d32858ad51549.JPG

I know Nicky very well, in fact some pages ago I posted pictures of my G scale stock on his 45mm railway.

He has also made live steam locos  in OO and a live steam traction engine inOO with a steering system similar to the Faller system. Indeed a very clever lad. 
I’ll see if a can get some pictures next time I see him. Funnily enough I was going to phone him today.

Regards

Robert

• Like 6