Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold

When I opened the 08 box I found that although it was blue, it was a pre TOPS version numbered D3316. 

No great worries, as if I want to renumber it as Railtec will make up a custom transfer for a few pounds.

It rained this afternoon, so the gardening was curtailed in favour of a bit more workshop and garage time.

Rugby next!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Well I have been enlisted to be a chimney sweep today. The outdoor chimney at the grandmothers needs test firing and probably cleaning, but I will be rewarded with lunch. Anyways I’ve always wanted to try chimney sweeping. 

Douglas

I wasn’t too sure what an outside chimney was in the USA so I had a Google and got two different possible answers.  One was a chimney on the outside of the house but with a conventional fireplace inside. The other seemed to be a complete outside fireplace on a patio or terrace with a chimney. Is your grandmother’s either of those?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I wasn’t too sure what an outside chimney was in the USA so I had a Google and got two different possible answers.  One was a chimney on the outside of the house but with a conventional fireplace inside. The other seemed to be a complete outside fireplace on a patio or terrace with a chimney. Is your grandmother’s either of those?

It's probably connected to the Ty Bach!:mocking_mini:

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Due to the rugby results I have been forced to raise glasses to both the men in white and those in red. Then, just to be even handed I raised glasses to the men in red and those in white. After that it seemed like a good idea to make sure I had included everybody so a raise was glassed to them before both of me had some more but just to be on the safe side we all changed shirts and toasted some glasses that didn't seem to be red or white which meant we had to start again. I think I'll go to bed.......

Daveeeee

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
On 20/11/2020 at 21:38, New Haven Neil said:

That's Richard Booth too, who built 80% of BB, it was finished off by Jack Dibnah - yes - a friend of the GGR as well as personally.

One of my great regrets is not meeting Fred when we on holiday close to Hexham.  The barman in the pub we used for an evening meal said "Fred Dibnah is staying here tomorrow night, apparently he's filming up at Hadrian's Wall".  We went to the pub the following night, but no sign of Fred; we left earlier than we should've really.  We heard the next day that he'd he'd been in the bar for quite some time, entertaining the locals. Bvgger.

Whilst working in Bolton several years ago I went to see his former home from the roadside - it later opened as a museum (with ticket-only access and numbers restricted in order to keep the locals happy, as most were none too pleased; I heard a supposed neighbour say once:  "You should try living next to him....") though I never had the opportunity to visit.  What isn't apparent on the tv programme is just how steep the drive is - to think Fred would drive a Traction Engine down it, with his house at the bottom and very little run-off area....

It was sad after Fred died to hear of the place standing empty, with IIRC several break-ins (even into the loft, apparently) and talk of a tramp living in the sheds and helping himself to brass etc to take to the scrappie's every so often; I believe the nameplates off one of the engines were stolen too - the engines had to be moved as a matter of priority to keep them safe.

There was also an issue with Fred's Will as his wife Sheila had been left with nothing; I believe it went to court to sort that one out, though the outcome was never made public.

When the house was sold at auction there were literally hundreds who came to view on an "open day" - most of course just wanted a look and weren't interested in bidding.  The first time the house was put up for sale (by auction) it didn't get a single bid, even after dropping the price to 130K.  It later sold for 185K - I believe the auction guide prices was

I visited Fred's grave - he's buried in the graveyard at the bottom of his back garden.  It looked very untidy and overgrown - all very sad.

The latest owner has been trying to sell the house since 2012, even resorting to a "spot the ball" competition which proved unsuccessful and left him well out of pocket; it's on the market for 299K (it was 350K back in May) if you're interested....

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fred-dibnahs-iconic-bolton-home-22001486

Edited by polybear
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

It was sad after Fred died to hear of the place standing empty, with IIRC several break-ins (even into the loft, apparently) and talk of a tramp living in the sheds and helping himself to brass etc to take to the scrappie's every so often; I believe the nameplates off one of the engines were stolen too - the engines had to be moved as a matter of priority to keep them safe.

There was also an issue with Fred's Will as his wife Sheila had been left with nothing; I believe it went to court to sort that one out, though the outcome was never made public.

Therein is a warning to us all.

we are not immortal and really ought to make firm provision to ensure that at the end of our days our estates, such as they are, are not left in such poor repair that the legal profession have to take over to sort it all out.  They usually work at the rate of a stuffed sloth, and charge you highly because of it.  In the meantime, the stuff in dispute can't be touched.  Well not by those who would probably be legally entitled to it, just those who come in and help themselves.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Hmm.  I can't really comment much on the personal stuff, other than to say one of our best friends is his niece or something, and he wasn't always the easiest man to get on with, off TV.  Count the wives......

Jack is like is dad in many ways, and unlike in many others!  He's certainly a 'character' and very skilled.  He's a decent bloke.

Was that the 'Rat' at Anick by any chance, Poly?  We used to drive out here to have a pint or two (cough) always with a designated driver though, I have to add.

• Like 8

I realise that I haven't contributed much in the last few weeks.  Probably because I haven't much to say.  I'm still doing two days a week at Waterloo, curating photographic collections for the South Western Circle and doing Zoom German lessons.  Which reminds me there is homework to do!  Bill 

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, bbishop said:

I realise that I haven't contributed much in the last few weeks.  Probably because I haven't much to say.  I'm still doing two days a week at Waterloo, curating photographic collections for the South Western Circle and doing Zoom German lessons.  Which reminds me there is homework to do!  Bill 

Having a lazy time then Bill?

Dave

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Was that the 'Rat' at Anick by any chance, Poly?  We used to drive out here to have a pint or two (cough) always with a designated driver though, I have to add.

At an educated guess I'd say it was The Anchor at Haydon Bridge

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Whilst not wishing to darken the mood further I would just like to point out that you should also include any grave deeds in any will- or divorce agreement, as well. As not only are they classed as an asset - buying a grave plot can run into thousands- if you don't own the grave your executor will either have to buy one or arrange for an existing one to be transferred. Morbid this may all sound but it is better to sort out while you can rather than leaving it to when you are stressed or dead.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes, just sometimes, things do happen in the right order.

When the PH remodelled his bedroom, just prior to his decision to move out and get his own place, (which was great,) he replaced all the skirting boards.  He attached them to the walls tight to the floor, and used both no nails glue and air nails.  Since the fitting was, let us say, less than perfect, I was instructed to remove them and  replace where required.

Although I had enough 69 mm architrave to carry out the task, when I came to remove the old stuff, it removed quite a bit of plaster.  So after consultation it was agreed that it would be quicker to move up to 119 mm architrave/skirting instead, and hide the offending scars on the wall rather than fill them.

The room was measured (twice) and the job costed, a trip out tomorrow to a DIY shed being on the cards.

Fortunately I needed to go into the garage roof for another task I was working on, and on shifting some t&g shed siding I had, I found a pack of the 119 mm!

Normally, as you can imagine, I would not have found this spare pack until after I'd bought the new stuff and cut it to size, thereby negating any return policy.

So there was a narrow escape for my wallet. (Of course it will be costed as new and the funds that would have been required diverted into the DCC decoder fund.)

Another bit of good news, which highlights one of the finer aspects of being a member of RMWeb, is the assistance and advice  I received yesterday.

Some time back I commissioned Worsley Works to create an etched body kit for an A44 auto trailer. For those interested they were a post war conversion of a D117 brake third and quite a few ended up in South Wales.

The etches were received and they were extremely good but when I looked at them the other day, I felt that possibly the body profile was not quite right.

So knowing that Chrisf who sometimes frequents these pages knows a fair bit about GWR coaching stock, I pm'd him with a couple of questions.

Chris was straight back with some very helpful information  a couple of scanned drawings and some suggestions.  He also pointed out that the end profiles saga may have been originated by another manufacturer of coach kits.

With this info to hand, I was able to revisit other sources of information and yes, there in an obscure paragraph, was the dimensional set out information I needed.

Once I get around to it, I'll create a .dxf file of the end profile and compare it to the etches.  If there is only a slight adjustment needed then a couple of sacrificial card ends can be cut out on the Curio cutter and the ends filed to the corrected profile.  If it is a bigger job, I can always draw up the ends and get an etch made up at our local etching services.  It will also give me the opportunity to cut/etch the compartment partitions.

Although I've already thanked Chris for his help, it does no harm to say thank you once more, as at the time I was beginning to struggle.

Edited by Happy Hippo
speingll
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Morning,

A very good run with the Mogul was had just now. It’s going a bit too fast without load, to the point where the front bogie derails over some rough track. Unfortunately I have to run light engine most of the time as my pressed steel Bassett Lowke BR coaches are a bit much for it. However, some Leeds Model Co wagons will hopefully be acquired today, they are wooden bodied so should be a bit lighter.

Much else is to be done today.

1. Brackets need acquiring for the hanging of some lights over our patio. Photo below.

2. A load of pinion wood needs delivery to the grandmother.

3. A brand new wood rack needs assembling and stacking.

4. The lights needs hanging. 

5. A good bit of log splitting needs doing.

Douglas

2782367B-8041-4B50-A79B-141F1953B7F3.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

We can now go trainspotting on our exercise walk. A few houses have put up and switched on Christmas lights. Trains seem popular, old American steam trains. Other houses have festive lights but haven’t turned them on yet. One neighbour put his up a couple of weeks ago mainly as he had hired a cherry picker vehicle for a week and it seemed silly not to put them up. He hasn’t turned them on though. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning

Had my first sound fitted Heljan Manning and Wardle running on the High line in the last few days. 'Lew' ran faultlessly for a few hours in both directions apart form the rear pony wheel not turning properly till it was seen to.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

We are shortly off for a click and collect from the local supermarket.  Nyda pointed out that the bottle of  Welsh whisky (in the red box) and the stamps for the Christmas card despatch amounted to 50% of the bill, and the stamps were slightly more than the whisky!

As part of the great workshop and garage reorganisation, I decided that I need to stop trying to use my big dust extractor as a portable device, so I am expecting various pipes and fittings to create permanent extraction pipework for the belt sander and the scroll saw.  Eventually the only machines that will require portability are the table saw and chop saw, and one long pipe be enough as I never use the machines simultaneously.

Of course some thought needs to be given so the sighting of some 'on/off' taps at certain points in the circuit as there is no point in wasting power drawing clear air through a machine that is not running. 

It would seem that this planning is an unconscious effort not to paint the spare room!:mocking_mini:

• Like 11