Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

On 21/11/2020 at 07:21, jamie92208 said:

It's going to be bright and sunny all day and much kindling has been shopped once I sharpened my hand axe with the bench grinder.  That's a first for me but it certainly worked a lot better.  Anyway after a mug of coffee I've been sorting through some photos as promised.

Most of the Leeds Engine builder were in the south of the city to the west of Hunslet Road alongside the former North Midland railway which was the first line to the south. IIRC the first works were nearer the rive in the Holbeck area where E B Wilson's famous Round Foundry  existed before the coming of the main line railways. The Middleton Railway had of course been going since 1758 with steam from 1812.   Again, straining my grey matter most of the other engine builders grew from the Round Foundry.  The most famous is the Hunslet Engine Company whose premises on Jack Lane are still used to manufacture electrical equipment. Alongside it an across the road was Hudswell Clarkes.  This photo shows the last railway equipment to be built at Hunslet, namely the class 323 EMU's. The bodies came from Spain and were stored on the access line. This can be seen here on the trackbed of the former Up Goods line that dated from 1901. The access siding went off to the right about 100 yards in front of the barrier wagon climbing steeply before splitting into three branches before crossing Jack Lane.  

154443822_Film1993-1021.jpg.9cbfdd9e56f2b239bd1fc2f954d75291.jpgThe buildings above the EMU's are the former Hudswell Clarke factory.  This shared the railaccess with an even more steeply grade branch the came off to the left of Hunslet's line.  Beyond the overbridge the original North Midland Line turned right in a cutting that lead towards it's terminus on Hunslet Road.  this became Crown Point Goods Yard and in the late 1840's the connection to the left was built to access the site of today's Leeds Station running on a sinuous course past Holbeck Loco depot and near to the Round Foundry. The original course of the Middleton Railway crossed this cutting and ran down the right hand side of the gasholder to staithes on the River Aire. Hopefully in a few years time all this will change with the right hand side of this cutting becoming part of HS2 which will briefly use the Middleton's trackbed as it rises to go into it's above ground station. The existing tracks will be slewed to the left.  

Almost opposite the overbridge a road runs off Jack Lane at right angles called Leathley Road.  On the left of this was the Kitsons factory and on the right was John Fowlers Steam Plough works which were directly behind the Hunslet Engine works, separated by, IIRC Ivory Street.  The rail access to both Kitson's and Fowlers came via the entrance to Crown Point Yard and in the 70's there were still some narroa and standard gauge tracks across Leathley Road.

In 1979 the Leeds and District Traction Engine Club held a rally in Leathley Road for the unveiling of a plaque to commemorate the site of the Steam Plough Works.  At that time the works had been demolished and the site was occupied by E J Arnolds printers.  Thus was part of Robert Maxwell's empire along with several other Leeds printing firms. Many people in Leeds lost their pensions when Maxwell plundered the pension funds before committing suicide.

Anyway here are a few picture of the event.  Perhaps I should insert a health warning for Douglas here. Please don't get too excited. Here is a view looking up Leathley Road from Hunslet Road towards Jack Lane. There are a big print works on the right and beyond a bit of Fowlers plus the Kitson works.  The main steam plough works were on the left. The LDTEC arranged a really good collection of Fowler built engines of various types.1219947116_Film1979-7002.jpg.5e2183ffbefc97420019141cff2d9218.jpg

1Here a pair of plough engines are seen on Leathley Road.  the steam plough works site is on the left  and the rear of the Hunslet works can be seen. The engines had formed up on some cleared gound on the former Plough works site.  the plaque is behins me at the corner of Leathley Road and Hunslet Road.1743192732_Film1979-7003.jpg.0e44a23d67b21bc6a1f1fbc74a880257.jpg

Douglas, look away now, serious eye candy.  A plough engine on Hunslet Road at the junction with South Accomodation Road.

5001516_Film1979-7013.jpg.ca35390c8c6effbac35f44038f7b09aa.jpg

And another.

43789091_Film1979-7014.jpg.e6c3bb9c197633586cf7473c3f6f6567.jpg

The whole area was awash with a heavy engineering and poor quality housing.  Most of both has now gone. A little further along Hunslet Road is Church Street that leads to Balm Road which crosses the railway.  The next railway bridge was Pepper Road where this photo was taken from.  The site on the right was occupied by Hunslet Steel works with Midland Road connecting Balm Road and Pepper Road. A very big engineers was Claytons that mainly made equipment for the gas industry with 3 or four works in this area.  The railway depot is now part of Freightliner(A Gennessee and Wyoming company} and is the newest loco shed in Leeds.

1966011350_Slides2008-C028.jpg.d87390d793254f62e940c7d4cffb4f1c.jpg

Behind where I was standing were the Yorkshire Patent Steam Wagon works the chimney which I watched being demolished by two guys with jackhammers that gradually removed bricks from the base as if the were felling a tree.

Hope that this has been of interest.

Jamie

Thank you for those Jamie, I managed to completely miss that post at time of posting. There most certainly is some serious eye candy there, particularly the early plougher on Hunslet road and the BB1 on the same.

For anybody wondering, here are the engines off the top of my head in order,

photo=those with steamy things in them

1st photo:

1. Far left, Len Crane's maginfcant Fowler B6 Super Lion crane engine, formerly worked at John Thompson Boilers around Dudley IIRC.

2. Middle, Standard fowler B5, maybe a B4.

3. Fowler Tiger, designed for estate use.

2nd photo:

These would appear to be some of the Fowler Z7 ploughing engines repatriated from the Sena Sugar Estates of Mozambique during a lull in the civil war there. It has been completely documented on video as well.

3rd photo:

A 1880-90s Fowler ploughing engine trundling along Hunslet Road.

4th photo:

A Fowler BB1 ploughing engine on Hunslet Road.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The model was built with a 'conventional' round top boiler as per the Midland 4F 'Project' loco except it had a slightly smaller barrel size.  The taper boiler and the Belpaire firebox being created with cosmetic cladding.  (Quite a bit of cardboard was sacrificed before suitable templates were created!)

The fact that this GWR loco was running with a smaller version of a boiler designed for a Midland 4F made not one iota of difference:laugh_mini:.

Richard, I'm a bit confused (all too easy to achieve I know but bear with me). The Midland 4F had a G7S Belpaire firebox boiler, the barrel being closely similar to the earlier H boiler which had a round topped firebox. 

Regarding short cut-off v long cut-off when running, although the latter is undoubtedly more economical on coal and less inclined to induce sway, it is more punishing on axleboxes and I have spoken to enginemen who were reluctant to go below about 30% for that reason. As one said to me (paraphrasing), "No wonder some of the Scots had awful trouble with the back boxes, you could happily run on 15% but that would knock the hell out of them." 

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

...snip... first appeared on the PRR in 1885 on one of the R class Consolidations  ...snip...

Dave

PS - Good morning everyone

At some point it time the PRR changed their classification as the 2-8-0 became the "H" class; over 3200 H6 through H-10 were produced. That does not count the H1 through H5 classes. The resulting total is more locomotives than a lot of railroads owned.

There was one R class, a single 2-D-2 electric. Although it lost out to the New Haven EP3 (2-C+C-2) after a series of road tests, the R stayed in service for over twenty years. Those tests resulted in the GG1 (2-C+C-2).

Edit: Oddly, the PRR never owned any 4-8-4 Northerns.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add a note.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Douglas - There's a Shropshire fidget lives with me.....

28 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Isn't that a Greater Britain after a few too many? Or a John Hick?

It could be one of the Webb 2-2-2-2s as seen when it was trying to set off in different directions at once.

G'night all.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

For my birthday in July I somehow managed to get my wife to buy me MR-201, the J70 with early crest and no skirts. She was amazed how much she had paid for such a small loco and thinks I am mad! Today I got her to agree to buy MR-205 with BR lettering and full skirts as my Christmas present. How I have managed this is a complete mystery. I am now wondering what I am going to be asked to do in return knowing how the ladies work.

I also added to my USA tank collection by ordering 30064 in BR lined green having purchased the KWVR one soon after they came out. She does not know about the KWVR loco and will be confused by me having two locos that are the same but in different colours if I mistakenly have them both on the layout at the same time.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Northroader said:

Does a 4-4-4-4 count?

3 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Douglas - There's a Shropshire fidget lives with me.....

It could be one of the Webb 2-2-2-2s as seen when it was trying to set off in different directions at once.

G'night all.

Dave

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Isn't that a Greater Britain after a few too many? Or a John Hick?

The PRR did own a 2-2-2 LNWR Dreadnought, which they had built for them to test compounding by Beyer Peacock Ltd. Around the same time they also purchased a De Glehn compound, for the same reasons. Here is an illustration of the Dreadnought. 

Douglas

74328E22-8A79-41D6-B5E3-026AA23DB3DC.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Richard, I'm a bit confused (all too easy to achieve I know but bear with me). The Midland 4F had a G7S Belpaire firebox boiler, the barrel being closely similar to the earlier H boiler which had a round topped firebox. 

Sorry Dave, I was referring to the model boilers rather than the prototypical version.

The G1 Project has a parallel round topped boiler, with a cosmetic Belpaire cladding.

The 2251 having a taper boiler in real life has a boiler that is slightly smaller than the smokebox diameter, and the 'visible taper being made up of carefully cut and shaped brass sheet, so compared to the 4F it's boiler was quite skinny.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I managed to do something that will upset a few pannier tank lovers on here. It was a day of knocking things over on the workbench but luckily no liquids psilt. However my N scale pannier tank took a tumble off the program track landing ontop of the DCC commnad station. The fall was no more than a few inches but it broke part of the buffer head. Luckily the tiny errant part was found in the only cluttered bit on the workbench and soon glued back in place. Today it will get a run on the High Line but luckily the perspex will stop any falls from there.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, roundhouse said:

Yesterday I managed to do something that will upset a few pannier tank lovers on here. It was a day of knocking things over on the workbench but luckily no liquids psilt. However my N scale pannier tank took a tumble off the program track landing ontop of the DCC commnad station. The fall was no more than a few inches but it broke part of the buffer head. Luckily the tiny errant part was found in the only cluttered bit on the workbench and soon glued back in place. Today it will get a run on the High Line but luckily the perspex will stop any falls from there.

Just shows how tough pannier tanks were (and are).

Since it was a not too bad day yesterday I put up all the outside Christmas lights in preparation for the bog switch on tomorrow.

I'd like to put up our decorations until Christmas Eve and then take them down on Boxing Day, but again I've been overruled as it was thought that the lane needed a bit more brightness this year.

Our second plan was to have another 'Ditch Party' on New Years Day.  The same rules regarding separation/ social distancing would apply as the VE day party we organised back in May.  As well as bring your own drink, it will also be bring your own cookable grub as we have a stash of disposable bbqs that can be issued for those that want to cook their own sausages or burgers.

Finally I was able to rescue a damsel in distress.

The fir tree she had bought for their Christmas decorations was slightly too big for the tree stand, and would I be able to make it fit?

Slightly too big was probably an understatement as the diameter of the tree trunk was at least Gauge 1 larger than the stand.

Taking about 1.75" off the diameter of the trunk was not difficult , but it was not helped by the trunk being anything other than round!

The worst part is it's wet wood, so the sap and gunge really blocks up and blunts blades.

Still, sorting out things like this keeps me on excellent terms with her older sister, who is the cake queen. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Chris116 said:

For my birthday in July I somehow managed to get my wife to buy me MR-201, the J70 with early crest and no skirts. She was amazed how much she had paid for such a small loco and thinks I am mad! Today I got her to agree to buy MR-205 with BR lettering and full skirts as my Christmas present. How I have managed this is a complete mystery. I am now wondering what I am going to be asked to do in return knowing how the ladies work.

I also added to my USA tank collection by ordering 30064 in BR lined green having purchased the KWVR one soon after they came out. She does not know about the KWVR loco and will be confused by me having two locos that are the same but in different colours if I mistakenly have them both on the layout at the same time.

There may be trouble ahead 

• Agree 8

32 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

There may be trouble ahead 

Well it was very nice interacting with you Mr Taylor. Although we never met in person, I felt that your contributions to this thread help give an insight to your comings and goings. We will remember you as one of the more pluckly ones who believed that they were able to pull the wool over that most superior race- the other half.

OK chaps who wants what from his railway. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, simontaylor484 said:

I found this on You Tube today its filmed in Hunslet area shiwing some tracks left

He is a bit optimistic regarding the litter picking i think 

It's the Middleton  Railways Balm Road branch that still has a connection to the main line in Hunslet sidings that Network Rail are contractually bound to keep in. The Middleton run trains down there a few times every year but nothing has come over the main line connection since the 80's. It's still very much part of The Middleton, the world's oldest Railway. I once chased a burglar along there and caught him.

Jamie

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

The new 7 mm Scale Society has been launched.

Why does it preclude S7 Richard?

1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

The finished pie, consumed last night. I lay claim to the leaves on top. 

I would have thought that a growing lad would have wanted more than the leaves on the top Douglas.

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold

My Rocket open carriages arrived. I have also ordered some little people to sit in them. These will need painting. All my recent painting has been on 1/32 figures so slightly different spectacles required. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Why does it preclude S7 Richard?I

It doesn't and the last thing the new Society wants to do is create friction.

'There are many groups and organisations in the 7mm modelling field, you can join as many as you like! We provide a new choice, and we prefer to co-operate rather than compete with other groups.'

What is interesting is the apparent (so far) lack of comment  in the clubs and societies area of RMWeb.  I suspect if I hadn't mentioned it here, it would have gone unnoticed!  However, on Western Thunder, it's been a lot more agitated.  On the G0G forum, the response was, generally positive.

Of course the Devil's advocate would pose the question 'If the G0G was so good, why was it necessary to create the Scale 7 Group?':o

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1