Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

It doesn't and the last thing the new Society wants to do is create friction.

'There are many groups and organisations in the 7mm modelling field, you can join as many as you like! We provide a new choice, and we prefer to co-operate rather than compete with other groups.'

What is interesting is the apparent (so far) lack of comment  in the clubs and societies area of RMWeb.  I suspect if I hadn't mentioned it here, it would have gone unnoticed!  However, on Western Thunder, it's been a lot more agitated.  On the G0G forum, the response was, generally positive.

Of course the Devil's advocate would pose the question 'If the G0G was so good, why was it necessary to create the Scale 7 Group?':o

Presumably the GOG hardcore is delighted that the vanquished troublemakers have cluttered off to do their own thing, and peace has broken out.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My Rocket open carriages arrived. I have also ordered some little people to sit in them. These will need painting. All my recent painting has been on 1/32 figures so slightly different spectacles required. 

The figures will be easy to paint.  All over sooty black:laugh_mini:.

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

And his youthful assistant if memory serves.

1C69F22C-ACB3-46D4-857E-375F5968786B.jpeg.232a64872e7c103a8f7859f2d1e780dc.jpeg

Yes, but it won’t be long before Soo the Panda gets as much pay as Sooty and Sweep. There must be an enquiry underway somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

That is good to know. I think Preiser do a traditional sweep too.

Does he come with Matthew Corbett s hand up his posterior.

Good job he wasnt on the BBC they would have been a victim of Saville 

Edited by simontaylor484
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I took the latest Classic Trains with me to read in a hospital waiting room today. It was a good thing that I was sitting down.  One article has pictured of 2 Hippo's aka Pennsy L1's banking a train with two more hippos on the front.  They get everywhere.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Oh I had to push Mrs NHN's bikes together some, but managed...

20200705_160029.jpg.e47087ede0f371db5535054f0def2f5c.jpg

So she has now has one of those 5.5 litre Yamakawasikomhota?

It's a hell of a bike I can tell you!

However, I really think you ought to show some more of your FoD enterprise.

Pictures like you have shown merely tease us.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I took the latest Classic Trains with me to read in a hospital waiting room today. It was a good thing yhat I was sitting down.  One article has pictured of 2 Hippo's aka Penndy L1's banking a train with two more hippos on the front.  They get everywhere.  

Jamie

Just be grateful that one or two don't  just drop in unannounced.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

4 various Honda 250's and a 800 BMW, Richard!  Only one is technically mine.  Edit - we used to have 9 bikes but have 'cut down a little'.  This is why I don't get hassle over the amount of trains I have!

What you see in that shot is about half of it!  To the left is a small yard, and after that is 'Plywood Pacific' as I have modellers block on what to do in the other corner.

I don't have any 'overall' photos handy, this is because it is all a terrible mess in reality, but I will try do do a few tomorrow so you can have a laugh.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

they would have been a victim of Saville 

Savile’s victims were not puppets, they were human beings. Sorry if I am being “PC” I just feel rather disapproving about adults who prey on impressionable young people. 

• Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

As for bikes under layouts...

Aditi expressed an interest in riding a bike a couple of years ago but didn’t manage that well on a bike with 24” wheels. So her brother in law found a bike someone had given him, a small wheeled shopping style bike.  However it had a folding frame and was amazingly heavy. It didn’t get used even after I properly set up the gears and brakes. Brother in Law would like it back now as another GP would like it for doing local visits. Unfortunately they are not coming over for it due to Covid but I am not too sure I could extract it after putting my Scalextric layout next to the train layout. It really is heavy, not exactly lightweight alloy, it is a Polish make, perhaps made from scrap Polski Fiats.

After trying the Polish folding bike, BiL bought a Brompton hence why the other one was available for loan. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the old 'you get what you pay for' thing!  Gas pipe frame and slippy gears - euuuw.  Mrs H does have one of those non engined things too, a Claude Butler 'crossover' sort of thing. Reynolds 531 frame and Shimano gears.  I gave them up post hip surgery.

Saville?  Death's too good for him.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

It doesn't and the last thing the new Society wants to do is create friction.

'There are many groups and organisations in the 7mm modelling field, you can join as many as you like! We provide a new choice, and we prefer to co-operate rather than compete with other groups.'

What is interesting is the apparent (so far) lack of comment  in the clubs and societies area of RMWeb.  I suspect if I hadn't mentioned it here, it would have gone unnoticed!  However, on Western Thunder, it's been a lot more agitated.  On the G0G forum, the response was, generally positive.

Of course the Devil's advocate would pose the question 'If the G0G was so good, why was it necessary to create the Scale 7 Group?':o

Richard, the reason I asked why S7 is precluded is that the wording on the new group's website states that, " 7mm Scale railway modelling is based on the wheel and rail standards in use by leading manufacturers, such as Slaters, Peco, Minerva, Dapol and Heljan in the UK, generally known as ‘fine scale’ standards." Those are not the standards that S7 modellers work to, hence my question as to why S7 is precluded. When I read the opening sentence of your post I was pleasantly surprised and immediately thought, 'I'll join', but on looking at the website, the wording I copied above put me off. If it is the intention to make the new group a 'broad church' for 7mm modellers I suggest the wording needs to be altered. 

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My father worked for BBC Radio and was producer of Pick of the Pops. As a kid I used to meet many of the DJ's and all were perfectly nice people except for one who when I was introduced to him the hairs on the back of a 12 year old's neck stood up. I steered clear of Saville from then on. At the time I did not know what I did not trust but thank goodness for that feeling. 

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

Richard, the reason I asked why S7 is precluded is that the wording on the new group's website states that, " 7mm Scale railway modelling is based on the wheel and rail standards in use by leading manufacturers, such as Slaters, Peco, Minerva, Dapol and Heljan in the UK, generally known as ‘fine scale’ standards." Those are not the standards that S7 modellers work to, hence my question as to why S7 is precluded. When I read the opening sentence of your post I was pleasantly surprised and immediately thought, 'I'll join', but on looking at the website, the wording I copied above put me off. If it is the intention to make the new group a 'broad church' for 7mm modellers I suggest the wording needs to be altered. 

Dave

I'll pass your comment on.

Nothing is set in stone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I took the latest Classic Trains with me to read in a hospital waiting room today. It was a good thing yhat I was sitting down.  One article has pictured of 2 Hippo's aka Pennsy L1's banking a train with two more hippos on the front.  They get everywhere.  

Jamie

The PRR I1s (2-10-0) was the "Hippo'; the L1s (2-8-2) did not have a special nickname.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Railroad_class_I1s

My favorite PRR steam is the M1 (4-8-2).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'll pass your comment on.

Nothing is set in stone

May I also suggest that consideration be given to softening (or removing) the following statement:

As our focus is on ‘fine scale’ modelling, we leave the old toys in the museum, so Hornby tinplate,
clockwork, 3-rail, ‘coarse scale’, Lionel and hi-rail models can respectfully be found elsewhere.

- Having some modeller's interests described as "toys" is likely to ruffle feathers; if a modeller having such interests gains enjoyment and knowledge from joining the new 7mm society (and perhaps even jumping ship to 7mm finescale) then why not welcome them?  To me the above sounds a little "you're not welcome here".  A statement indicating that the society isn't aimed at the older "coarse scale" fraternity as a flag to warn people that they may not wish to join only to be disappointed by the lack of forum content for their interests.

• Agree 4