Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

49 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We finished our Christmas cake yesterday so the hippodrome is now a cake free zone.

I may have to do something about that tomorrow, although I have been advised that we might be entering a cake drought for the next month.

Is this not a rather worrying state of affairs, surely emergency supplies must be sent for?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Cake is being made.

I decided to make a Victoria Sponge cake.

8DD68D3D-8FD7-49B2-B255-5465C7B10527.jpeg.349d5a7400888b0f734adc2fbdf99284.jpeg

Above: Half o’ the Victoria Sponge.

First Bear saw this  - and immediately thought how good it would look smothered in Lemon Curd, with a lemon icing topping on the other half......

19 minutes ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

My first cake, with undoubtedly to much jam...

DE5D8855-2A8E-420C-B201-5F8E3E2D4527.jpeg.9d31c470807177de3ee8a309b6492c19.jpeg

Douglas

.....and then Bear saw this :( 

So close, and yet so far.  You'll be telling us next that it isn't Strawberry Jam , and that you've used real cream :nono:

However, for future reference there is no such thing as too much Jam :)

39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

We finished our Christmas cake yesterday so the hippodrome is now a cake free zone.

I may have to do something about that tomorrow, although I have been advised that we might be entering a cake drought for the next month.

No Cake??  That's serious.  Red Cross Air-Drop inbound.

Cake drought next month? 2020 is rapidly looking better than 2021 for Big H.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I can report cake was very, very nice.

A mix of chocolate, vanilla, orange flavoured sponge with cream

There was also a bonus of a slice of shop bought chocolate log type thing too.

Andy

(stuffed with cake :))

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, coastalview said:

Is this not a rather worrying state of affairs, surely emergency supplies must be sent for?

The cake situation is a bit like a storm when at sea.  Great turmoil and wailing with lots of misery for those not accustomed to such upheaval.  But under the surface all sorts of things lurk:  Some good, some even better.

Such is the case here.  Our kitchen is the surface and the workshop is the deep.  In the deep there is a fridge freezer which at first glance contains the overflow from the kitchen, but more careful observation reveals plenty of goodies and other essential supplements to my wellbeing.

Since I am the only one with a key to the workshop, my strategic reserve is only touched when I wish to rotate the stock.

I'm not just a pretty face!

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Since I am the only one with a key to the workshop, my strategic reserve is only touched when I wish to rotate the stock.

I'm not just a pretty face!

Ah...so that's where Big H keeps his strategic reserve......:D

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Aaaagh all this cake talk is killing me, I do so like cake, and the advent of being diabolical diabetic has banished such foodstuffs to history.  

Then our young and resourceful American correspondent even starts making the damn things...oh cruelty itself. Pah, I think, is the saying.

Nevertheless here is a fervent hope that 2021 is better for us all, and the covidiot deniers all don their foil hats and *&^% off to their flat earth and don't come back.

truth.JPG.79226b2cf97461ec01b35bcdac172d9f.JPG

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

I’m also out of cake, the gluten free variety. SWMBO did me proud just before Christmas, tarts(!), coffee buns and coconut tarts and a bought chocolate log. I’m not keen on supermarket ‘sweet’ stuff so will have to on my best behavior and get some brownie points to exchange. It’s feast or faming here but I do have about 10 yoghurts to get through.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Nevertheless here is a fervent hope that 2021 is better for us all, and the covidiot deniers all don their foil hats and *&^% off

I can’t understand why the Facebook friend suggestion algorithm actually suggested I might want to follow one of the worst Covid deniers in the country. Nearly deleted Facebook!

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, polybear said:

Ah...so that's where Big H keeps his strategic reserve......:D

And here I thought that it was stashed away somewhere in Appalachia! :o And I am much closer to Appalachia than Hipposhire!!! :yahoo_mini:

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Christmas cakecis still being consumed here andcyesterdaybthe friend who came for lunch, not only helped to dispose of the roast leg of lamb but brought a large homemade  pavlova with her. Obviously as it was fresh Beth and I hhad to finish the remains last night.

Jamie

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I mentioned to Aditi that people were reporting a lack of cake. It would seem we haven’t even started the Dundee cake yet and half a stollen (the missed out some of the recipe stollen) is in the freezer. We don’t really eat a great deal of cake but it is always available!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

And here I thought that it was stashed away somewhere in Appalachia! :o And I am much closer to Appalachia than Hipposhire!!! :yahoo_mini:

The whole point of having a strategic reserve is replacement.  But as any combat loggie will tell you, dispersal is the key to ensuring you maintain a strategic reserve. Lose one site and although it is slightly inconvenient, you have plenty of others to fall back upon.

The  conspiracy theorists would have you believe that the UK strategic reserve of steam locomotives was for many years held in the carriage sheds at Craven Arms.

Wrong!

It was held in plain sight at a place called Barry.   The reserve has now been scattered to strategic points around the UK under the guise of heritage railways.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I mentioned to Aditi that people were reporting a lack of cake. It would seem we haven’t even started the Dundee cake yet and half a stollen (the missed out some of the recipe stollen) is in the freezer. We don’t really eat a great deal of cake but it is always available!

If I take your Stollen without your permission, does it become Stolen?

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
On 02/01/2021 at 11:47, Happy Hippo said:

The whole point of having a strategic reserve is replacement.  But as any combat loggie will tell you, dispersal is the key to ensuring you maintain a strategic reserve. Lose one site and although it is slightly inconvenient, you have plenty of others to fall back upon.

The  conspiracy theorists would have you believe that the UK strategic reserve of steam locomotives was for many years held in the carriage sheds at Craven Arms.

Wrong!

It was held in plain sight at a place called Barry.   The reserve has now been scattered to strategic points around the UK under the guise of heritage railways.

I always thought it was somewhere under Hadrians Wall along with King Arthur and the other knights of the round table.

On 02/01/2021 at 11:48, Happy Hippo said:

If I take your Stollen without your permission, does it become Stolen?

Dear Mr Y, please let the groan button off the naughty step, we are in dire need of it.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

I have to report i was given a little piece of choccy cheesecake even though im type 2. 

Going back to pranks at school we had a science teacher who couldn't control his own pi55 never mind a class. He was pranked at least twice the first was a sanitary towel painted red left in a drawer. The second more amusing one someone epoxy resined his glasses case to the heavy lab bench/desk. Oh how funny it was to see him try to move it

The whole class was sent to one of the deputy heads he wasnt a soft touch and even he was struggling to keep a straight face.

• Like 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It sometimes works the other way round. Our youngest, a girl went to the same school as her brothers. It emerged that shecwas being bullied and 'taxed' of her dinner money.  Her brothers found out and decided that teasing Rachel was their job.  I got called in to see the deputy head who told me that itvappeared that one boy had dived into the school fishpond and another had tried to brush a lavatory with his hair.  The deputy head asked me what I thought, and I replied that I thought the boys had been very restrained. We were both trying not to laugh as hecwas a good neighbour. Rachel never got bullied again.

Jamie

• Like 14

Some slight modifications have been done to Seamus. Notably it has been turned into a circa 1872 Fowler “wrought iron” type ploughing engine. 

F218BB28-B22A-4067-A794-25871152278E.jpeg.766b3853d30445308438ceb5ed71267c.jpeg

This was achieved after around 20 hours work with the Meccano, spread out over three days. The outline of a balance ploughing was also made. 

1DEFC0D2-6091-4208-85C2-09AAC407E99D.jpeg.ee5dbdde3f9bffadd6882d17b2a5e246.jpeg

The winch is to be driven by a twisted belt coming from an auxiliary pulley on the crankshaft, which is yet to be fitted.

636141C5-61FB-4BC7-B596-8FE90EC43E79.jpeg.848a9ce1bcf0e2f0f68291253358440c.jpeg

The marvelous contraption  is secured to the engine by clamping it around the firebox, so as not to stress the boiler. 

EFCB61A1-F12D-4D4F-943C-7B1899F63DB9.jpeg.d0d95c70100b5ab6200da63d8b0b230b.jpeg

Tomorrow the bore of the pulley will be widened to fit the crankshaft, and testing shall begin. Or I may simply leave the winch as a cosmetic item.

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Gentlemen (and Ladies), The first salvoes of The Cake War have been fired.   Might I suggest that Night Mailers lock up their cakes overnight so they are not raided by Early Risers?  Bill

I suspect the secret cake stash is a decoy and that the real cakes are hidden in plain sight.

• Like 3